Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 5 Window Hard Chop

Thank you. I tend to prefer an angled chop, to me it just looks nasty. On a hard chop I think leaning the a pillars back is a must. However that's just my opinion so take that for what its worth (probably not much lol). I fell in love with Ben Haag's "pale rider", this car has aided in my obsession with these style cars. After seeing this car earlier this year I've since wanted to do a similar chop but on a 5 window. 

22854810_1590856787620310_669545490_n.th

Your Deuce is looking great. Love a car with a nasty lakes chop. Not sure if you are aware or not but Ben Haag and his Pale Rider have had a pretty wicked accident. Something in the front suspension broke sending the car end over end and side over side a few times. Ben was banged up a bit but basically unhurt. The car however was pretty badly destroyed. Last I had read he wasn't sure if he was going to try to rebuild that deuce or whether he was going to get another body and start again. You can check out the HAMB for pictures of the wreck. Or Ben's Instagram feed.

Super nice chop.  Going to be one cool rod when she is finished. Just one minor thing I noticed, the doors will not open in this configuration.  The top hinge is at an angle to the bottom hinge.  Not really sure how to fix it, unless you move the top hinge down to where the door line becomes vertical.

Your Deuce is looking great. Love a car with a nasty lakes chop. Not sure if you are aware or not but Ben Haag and his Pale Rider have had a pretty wicked accident. Something in the front suspension broke sending the car end over end and side over side a few times. Ben was banged up a bit but basically unhurt. The car however was pretty badly destroyed. Last I had read he wasn't sure if he was going to try to rebuild that deuce or whether he was going to get another body and start again. You can check out the HAMB for pictures of the wreck. Or Ben's Instagram feed.

It wasn't even my car but that killed me, I hate to see anything like that happen. Its tragic when people put their hard earned money into a project like that, not to mention the countless hours invested in it. Last I heard he was going to rebuild it but with original henry steel this time around. 

Super nice chop.  Going to be one cool rod when she is finished. Just one minor thing I noticed, the doors will not open in this configuration.  The top hinge is at an angle to the bottom hinge.  Not really sure how to fix it, unless you move the top hinge down to where the door line becomes vertical.

I really didn't put that much thought into it but you're right. 

Suicide doors :o

That's a good possibility!

Edited by 502

I just love it!!   So many things that make

it look just right.

The open cowl vent is cool.  The grill shell

done like that is real cool!  The roof is nice,

it reminds me of a roof job that Dennis L.

did on a '30 coupe!

Also the ride stance is great if you ask me!!

You are knocking this out of the park Justin!

I'm building a '30 coupe that has almost that

many louvers as well.

David S.

Wow! Very nice project. I'm loving it, and learning a whole lot.

Justin, how exactly did you cut that .060 styrene?

I drew 4 rectangles, scored them a couple times, and then I snapped them off. Everything else was done with a dremel aside from some fine tuning with my exacto. 

• 2 months later...

I've been away for a while but I want to have this done for a show in April. With that being said I am back on the bench. I pinched the front rails so I can tuck them in behind the grille shell. The front is mostly done aside from the shocks, I'll probably do some old friction shocks. I also drilled out the backing plates. Plans are to start on the rear suspension tomorrow. 

30301D69-1DBD-488F-B59C-003B1C65E5B8.thumb.jpeg.da55785063a2ff1a326c083b4fd052e2.jpeg4AF70FAC-7E0E-4BF9-8F63-5751FAF17CAB.thumb.jpeg.a511ed0d67128e817327f5182b09597b.jpeg7D5B5E1C-0A7F-4CA1-AEA5-E3F639D916C8.thumb.jpeg.fadc6dcc81689b78bb87011919ac65ac.jpeg038C3847-ADA6-41F3-9FBF-9B95849B0EA9.thumb.jpeg.11bf15c441f152b93888c8dcbedfccc4.jpeg

Edited by 502

I couldn't wait any longer, I had to mock it up with the hood and grille. I decided to run the stock grille instead of the track nose. I'm just going to save that for another project. 

337E6BF3-5A44-454B-9033-0A24163D50E7.thumb.jpeg.5b9c1d7f50d03ea59c40defd4a5c3117.jpeg

Edited by 502