Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model cars and Bodybuilding

Today while tearing my model room apart looking for a bag of brakes and rotors that have gone AWOL, I ran across a box full of empty Crystal Light containers. If any of you are familiar with the bodybuilding world, we start our competition training/diets about 12 weeks before our shows, and within that time I had to work my way up to drinking 3 gallons of water a day.....it takes a bit of work, especially if you were in the military and "overseas" where the canteen water is warm and tastes like plastic and rubber......nasty. Fortunately for me, my best friend was also a bodybuilder and veteran as well. He turned me on to drinking my water with the Crystal Light in it -it did the job! For some reason I kept the containers, and until now forgot about them. I finally discovered a use for them....putting Q-tips, toothpicks, makeup applicators, sharpies, or anything you can think of to keep dust out, and organized looking. I even cut some of mine down to make shorter. Hope this can help with organization and not wasting potentially useful containers.

I have a drawer full of small containers.  Never know when you'll find something that will need a container.  My Veterans group bought a 18' x 30' canopy with sides and all the pipe is nut & bolted together.  Luckily I had containers to hold bolts and another for the nuts.

I use alot of these. I have my pipettes for airbrushing in them. I have one for new ones, and couple more for used ones that I plan on reusing. I also keep my airbrush cleaner in one so I can just draw some out with a pipette while cleaning the brush. 

I also use the lay's stax containers to hold my skewers for mounting parts. They're the perfect size, allowing just a couple inches of the skewer to stick over top.

fleishmanns_corn_starch_baking.JPG

lays-stax-cheddar.png

I have mounted a Folgers coffee can to the side of my spray booth.  I keep it full of wadded up paper towels.  When I am changing colors and need to do a quick clean of the airbrush I simply spray cleaner through the brush into the coffee can.  The towels absorb the spray and once they become too saturated I simply throw them away and add new paper towels.  Also use the Great Value (WalMart brand) drink mix containers for sanding sticks, short pieces of styrene, and any other stuff that fits in them.

• 11 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:21 AM, TarheelRick said:

I have mounted a Folgers coffee can to the side of my spray booth.  I keep it full of wadded up paper towels.  When I am changing colors and need to do a quick clean of the airbrush I simply spray cleaner through the brush into the coffee can.  The towels absorb the spray and once they become too saturated I simply throw them away and add new paper towels.  Also use the Great Value (WalMart brand) drink mix containers for sanding sticks, short pieces of styrene, and any other stuff that fits in them.

I actually have one of the small Folgers containers, that I keep sawdust in. When i have mixed too much paint, or when cleaning my jars, i just dump it in there. After a while I can just dump out the sawdust and put fresh stuff in it. For cleaning the airbrush after acrylics, i bought one of those paint pots to spray  in. I don't use that for solvent based paint. I do save a lot of containers though. I have been keeping some that have had lunch meat in that have a lid, and found those to be handy because they are a slim design and can be stacked on top of each other.