Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diorama on 4 wheels...errr...make that 6 wheels.

Mike Whatshisname

This isn't your traditional diorama but there are enough things going on in the flatbed of this 1926 Mack AC to call it a diorama.

Dsc_0063.jpg

I actually started this project about 10 years ago..."Yes Virginia, you actually CAN start a project and go back and finish it years later".

I built the boom T "tongue-in-cheek" as I thought a duallie "T" would be kinda neat. Of course, if you where to pick anything heavy up with the boom, the T would probably fall back unless the front was secured with a rock on the hood. So the boom ends up on the Junk Truck as an experiment gone bad...

Dsc_0038.jpg

In person, the colors are not as bright and the truck is a bit dustier. The flash and lights from the photobooth tend to wash the dust out a bit.

I still have a little bit of dusting to do yet. There is always room for more junk too! Just a couple more "new" ideas. I don't want to drown this one with junk like some of my others.

Dsc_0035.jpg

I like how the wheel chocks came out.

Dsc_0045.jpg

The gears under the boom are from the guts of an old VCR. I saved all the little motors from the VCR in hopes that someday I'll be able to figure a way to make them run and use them in a dio.

This "C" clamp goes well with the "C" cabs (I guess that is sort of a theme with this...how many "C"'s can you find etc.). It is a watch band buckle that I found with a bunch of watch parts I bought years ago.

Dsc_0048.jpg

Shotgun on the front seat. The springs on top are from the same VCR.

Dsc_0030.jpg

One thing I have noticed in using Sophisticated Finishes rust method. You will get a different color rust depending on what your base is. Looking at this next picture, the rust was all done with the SF method. The shovel is yellow resin from Rik at Scale Equipment Limited, the pick is a white resin from PSF (I think) and the tool holder is a brass tube slice. You can see distinctively different shades of rust on each. None of them were primered as I wanted to get different effects. Kinda cool!

Dsc_0030-1.jpg

Dsc_0048-1.jpg

Please ask any questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Mike, down in Texas , we call that a "Boom" truck why dont you scrounge about and glue apiece of big Plastruct to the front you know, an " I " beam perhaps thats what the drill rig boys do there......just a thought . Ed shaver

Mike, down in Texas , we call that a "Boom" truck why dont you scrounge about and glue apiece of big Plastruct to the front you know, an " I " beam perhaps thats what the drill rig boys do there......just a thought . Ed shaver

Ed,

If the "boom" was on the Mack I'd do a wrecker similar to what you are saying. Since the Mack is carrying a small "T" that the boom is actually attached to, any more weight on the back of it would make it tip backwards. The only change I would have made would be to add weight to the front of the Ford with a large bucket-o-rocks or a 55 gallon drum attached with chain and fill it with water. Thanks, and believe me, Texas isn't the only place you would find a boom similar to what you are talking about!

Edited by Mike Whatshisname