Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Charger 500 - 11/15/17 update - finished

Matt T.

I've been working on Revell's awesome new kit for about a month now (I only get a day or two a week to build). All parts are spray painted, it's now time for some detail brush painting, decals, and assembly. I'm hoping to have it done by Thanksgiving. I thought posting here might hold me to that!

This is my first build in 3 years, so I'm keeping it close to box stock and fun. I opted to build a Charger 500 by omitting the door scoops and not using any R/T decals. Paint it Testors Hemi Orange and Lacquer Clear. Kit will be box stock except for wheels and tires (plan is to use AMT '70 Chevelle deeper Magnum 500s and L60 tires all around) and maybe a pre-wired distributor.

This is a fantastic kit with great proportions, minimal mold lines and beautiful parts fit. I am loving this build, and highly recommend this kit. Thanks for looking, it's good to be back building. :)

2v2uCGzCyx22vCF.jpg

Edited by Matt T.

I've been working on Revell's awesome new kit for about a month now (I only get a day or two a week to build). All parts are spray painted, it's now time for some detail brush painting, decals, and assembly. I'm hoping to have it done by Thanksgiving. I thought posting here might hold me to that!

This is my first build in 3 years, so I'm keeping it close to box stock and fun. I opted to build a Charger 500 by omitting the door scoops and not using any R/T decals. Paint it Testors Hemi Orange and Lacquer Clear. Kit will be box stock except for wheels and tires (plan is to use AMT '70 Chevelle deeper Magnum 500s and L60 tires all around) and maybe a pre-wired distributor.

This is a fantastic kit with great proportions, minimal mold lines and beautiful parts fit. I am loving this build, and highly recommend this kit. Thanks for looking, it's good to be back building. :)

2v2uCGzCyx22vCF.jpg

Matthew, nice work but how do your photo's turn out not the right size..The cars look deformed..They look stubby...

Only the '69 500 did...the '70 500 was a regular Charger, just a trim level between base and R/T.

That is very cool info, and I did not know that.

I guess by 70 model year they had different choices in aerodynamics to

choose from for racing classes!?! (Superbird, Daytona Charger)

One is never too old to learn something new!!

David S.

Odd, that Revell didn't tool the grille separate from the loop bumper, that way it would've been easier to, also have an exposed, and hidden headlamp version, easier to paint and easier for the aftermarket to produce alternative grille options...

just my 2 cents..

But I digress....following your build with great attention, cuz love them B-Bodies!

I agree , Geno. It’s my favorite year Charger too.

Got the interior assembled and it and the engine installed in the chassis. Also trimmed the body - rear window is BMF and the rest is a Molotow 2mm chrome pen. I love these pens! Literally liquid chrome. Black added to the grille. Just need to paint the gray perimeter trim inside the bumper. 

Still enjoying this great kit! 

24EC8CA7-4BC3-42FC-B054-5737F8CFC821.jpeg

97422CDB-3454-4784-80D6-E78963AADD7F.jpeg

0C4E21AD-A8C4-41ED-831D-CD9226FAF044.jpeg

100737C7-034E-43DF-81C8-84BD29CFF1D8.jpeg

6C5114C1-D37D-4B37-82C3-2F4FCF95B5F3.jpeg

Looking real good............... just to let you know you could not get a Hemi in a 70'Charger 500 ,383 4bl was the biggest you could get

But there is known to exist one 70' Charger 500 with a Hemi in it from the factory. your shifter is in the wrong spot ,it should be closer to the drivers side gas pedal .

Edited by Mr mopar