Model Cars Magazine Forum

1931 Ford "paddy Wagon"

retriever

One model I've thought about building for quite some time, is the Ford Model A "Paddy Wagon",  Searching Google, I found these pictures of a Model A Paddy Wagon and it's just what I had in mind.

1_paddy_wagon.thumb.jpg.c6e00f1d5d5758112_paddy_wagon.thumb.jpg.3b98d14957c07fa5

Some time ago I built the AMT 1931 Ford Woody.  As I have an almost complete spare kit of this model, I figured it would make a great starting point for the paddy wagon.  Here's the '31 that I built before:

1.thumb.jpg.fb8da7bf3f0a8e0eecc0fbb4ac842.thumb.jpg.35ebf72308178c9ff26a8bbc07d5

I'm starting with the chassis, fenders, engine and firewall of the '31 woody,  The remainder of the body will be a combination of modified woody panels and scratch building.

1.thumb.jpg.f1b28938978ae0683e6e28435489I have a couple of other models to finish first, but I will work on this one while paint and/or glue dries on the others.......

Tony

Looks like a great project. I like your 31 Woody. What did you use, and what colors for the wood framing and panels? I am currently working on a 41 Woody and I'm trying to figure out the painting of the wood framing. I am using craft paint for it and have three colors set aside for it. I removed the wood panels and am planning to use Birch wood for those. I'll keep an eye on your work here.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I was just checking out your '41 Woody and it's really coming along nicely.   I think the maroon will be a super color choice.  

I have used craft paint to represent wood, but it's a delicate, "hit and miss" process.  One method I have found works for me, depending on the type of wood you're trying to represent, is to first give the framing a solid coat of antique gold, yellow or tan enamel.  Then I dry brush various shades of craft paint brown vertically down the frame, trying(!) to represent the grain of the wood.  It rakes a steady hand, patience and some kind of reference photo beside you, or you'll just finish up painting the whole frame brown!  Another method is simply to chose a craft paint that looks like light, grain free wood.  The advantage of craft paint, is you can run the part under the faucet and start again if you don't like it.

Whatever you chose to do, experiment on some pieces of sprue first until you get the hang of it.  

Hope this helps,

Tony

Edited by retriever

As far wood graining, I use a sponge to streak the wood grain on the part.  I use a brush on tight areas.  I highly recommend practicing on white plastic disposable spoons before trying it on a kit part.  If you mess up, the only thing you ruined is a plastic spoon.