Model Cars Magazine Forum

KW aerodyne wrecker finished !!

Thanks everyone for the interest  !  I recently found out jerry redder (sp ?)  sells the bj and bear decals perfect for this build..just needs the NYR logos . I found a train shop in syracuse that sells lettering I think will work 

The plan so far..the recent re issued KW papa truck for majority of the build. The rotator is a century 1140 40 ton unit . I'm using parts from the challenger found on the tri axle pete, just modified.  The fun part is scratchbuilding a MODERN wrecker body w the rear under reach, which I believe NYR used a Zeke manufacturered unit. The stabilizers found in the pete kit are sad...very very sad. I'll have to fab those too. 

All the tires will be am items , and I'll add the lift axle sold thru gw trucks..along with tons of scratched details I can't rob from kits lol. 

Grab a tasty beer or favorite beverage and bowl of popcorn the fun starts soon..

Looks like an interesting build, Jeff.  This going to be ready for the Spring Thaw Show? :)

I hope so ! 

Jeff this is going to be a very interesting build. Looking forward to seeing you build this one. 

thanks Dan  ive wanted to try to scratch a more modern wrecker , planning making patterns for another later

Planning on having a pig roast lol doors won't be open but the main equipment will be present 

I found a few very helpful images of the 1140 being installed on the chassis before paint, and of the truck out working. 

Does anyone know of a source for modern marker lights ? Czech models had pe type, but their site is being upgraded . Refering to the type seen along the wrecker body . The clear light bar I'm still searching for also

Planning on having a pig roast lol doors won't be open but the main equipment will be present 

I found a few very helpful images of the 1140 being installed on the chassis before paint, and of the truck out working. 

Does anyone know of a source for modern marker lights ? Czech models had pe type, but their site is being upgraded . Refering to the type seen along the wrecker body . The clear light bar I'm still searching for also

Yeah, CTM is your best bet for modern marker lights, amber and red oval and rectangular light types. The light bar, I’m not sure where to find it.

Are you going to use square headlights too? I was thinking about using Czech’s US oblong headlights to do that myself to a k100. Minor body work around the bezels.

What a cool project! 

Edited by vincen47

Thanks vincen47 ! Man you pointed out a major part I'd completely overlooked..those square headlights. I was studying the rotator and ignored the truck details thanks I'll address those .

Wish cmt website was up and running again..says 2016 for new site. Hope their still open for business. 

Enough teasing let's open the kits and get whacking plastic !! 

The unwilling donors waiting on the bench 

20171029_155934.thumb.jpg.1950e77d5a0d5dI wanted to start the chassis to get a feel for how everything would work. I absolutely love how nicely the parts fit and the chassis seems pretty straight after drying  ! 

20171029_172011.thumb.jpg.af8dc7dac1b0ddsharp eyed modelers will notice the engine lurking in the background too..another favorite of mine is a good Ole green leaker  ! 20171029_172047.thumb.jpg.e444a273af19a920171029_172037.thumb.jpg.a3e68757dd792cI drilled out the flash under the turbo just for a touch of detail

I'll add the stock suspension , then mock the kit wrecker body to verify the wheel openings,  then commence the major work

Any advice, comments or just truck chat feel free to comment I'm happy to chatter along the build lol

Edited by gotnitro?

Jamie at moluminum sells the Czech stuff also..

Edited by towman1271