Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wrecked ‘70 Super Bee

Furiousgeorge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ingot a bit of a break, and got some engine work done. I know it should be orange, but I wanted to try out a new brand of paint. Still have to make an open distributor, broken fan belt, and exhaust, but it’s coming along nicely. Moving slowly, but still going. I did finish a ‘74 GTX that I’ve had going for years. Good to get that one off the bench!

910336B7-B945-4DF1-83B8-4EA9BA9ABBB8.jpeg

9F8258F1-3EFB-4712-BB1F-EBBC725CC92A.jpeg

9277F087-E0C3-4C03-8BD7-0E1CE8254B77.jpeg

On 10/29/2017 at 12:08 PM, Furiousgeorge said:

Does anyone know if the under hood air grabber set up is plastic or metal? And the dual hood scoops metal or plastic? Google tells me they’re each both, so not helpful.

On the 1/1 . the underhood box is all fiberglass. Only the air cleaner is metal

image.png.fc7f60865ea61ec8357b4ba64b215f54.png

The hood scoops were also fiberglass with exception to the chrome front edge mldg.,,,,, those were potmetal

Edited by gtx6970

Forgive me, but I work in a body shop and I used to work as an independent appraiser looking at vintage cars. This '68 GTX hit a guard rail on the freeway during a rain storm in 2008. To damage the engine, the radiator support (and radiator) will have to come in contact with the engine. Usually the movement will stop at the fan and fan clutch. With most of your damage being in the center, the fenders will be pulled in, pulling the gaps between the fenders and the doors. I'm not being critical of your efforts, just showing what the real thing looks like. I've kicked around doing a body shop diorama. I'm trying to find a small shop with enough interest to have more than a couple cars in it. The real challenge in doing cars like this is internal structure like radiator supports, front wheelhouses and if you're bold enough inner door and quarter panel structure..

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

Edited by Swifster

5 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

On the 1/1 . the underhood box is all fiberglass. Only the air cleaner is metal

image.png.fc7f60865ea61ec8357b4ba64b215f54.png

The hood scoops were also fiberglass with exception to the chrome front edge mldg.,,,,, those were potmetal

Thanks! I was figuring they’d be fiberglass. Now to just figure out how to break the scoops so’s they look convincing.....

8 minutes ago, Swifster said:

Forgive me, but I work in a body shop and I used to work as an independent appraiser looking at vintage cars. This '68 GTX hit a guard rail on the freeway during a rain storm in 2008. To damage the engine, the radiator support (and radiator will have to come in contact with the engine. Usually the movement will stop at the fan and fan clutch. With most of your damage being in the center, the fenders will be pulled in pull the gaps between the fenders and the doors. I'm not being critical of your efforts, just showing what the real thing looks like. I've kicked around doing a body shop diorama. I'm trying to find a small shop with enough interest to have more than a couple cars in it. The real challenge in doing cars like this is internal structure like radiator supports, front wheelhouses and if you're bold enough inner door and quarter panel structure..

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

Oh man! I’d cry myself to death if that would have been me! Great inspirational pics though! I think on the next one I’d remove fenders and mess with buckeled doors and whatnot, but this one is more of a “let’s see if I can do it” build. I’m pushing myself quite a bit with this one, learning and figuring out all kinds of stuff on the fly. I hear you on doing the inner engine bay structure! Gives me headaches trying to figure out “if the fenders bent this way, what would the inner fender do?” 

I'm certainly not suggestion you are doing anything wrong. Just showing the real thing. You can see a small tear in the radiator support, the radiator is bent, the fan shroud is bent and the radiator hose is about 6"'s from where it should be. Again, just things to maybe try in the future. I love old Mopars and just about cried myself when I saw it.

Any suggestions are welcome! I’m not so far along that I can’t add/change things. The pictures willl help greatly, and I’ve added them to my pile. The rad and fan are next, being copper they all seem to tend to just bend with the rad support, and get chewed up a bit by the fan hub more then the fan, as you’d mentioned. It’ll be a tight squeeze with this car, with all the bending and twisting, there isn’t much room in there anymore!

12 hours ago, Swifster said:

Forgive me, but I work in a body shop and I used to work as an independent appraiser looking at vintage cars. This '68 GTX hit a guard rail on the freeway during a rain storm in 2008. To damage the engine, the radiator support (and radiator) will have to come in contact with the engine. Usually the movement will stop at the fan and fan clutch. With most of your damage being in the center, the fenders will be pulled in, pulling the gaps between the fenders and the doors. I'm not being critical of your efforts, just showing what the real thing looks like. I've kicked around doing a body shop diorama. I'm trying to find a small shop with enough interest to have more than a couple cars in it. The real challenge in doing cars like this is internal structure like radiator supports, front wheelhouses and if you're bold enough inner door and quarter panel structure..

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

Oh man that sucks. You hap[pen to know if the car was repaired or wrote off as a total loss ?

I saw a picture just a couple years ago. Where a Superbird was involved in a front end collision. It hurt the nose cone pretty bad ( never did hear what happened to it afterwards if it got repaired or not )

Woodward2-wrecked-Superbird.jpg