Model Cars Magazine Forum

Warning! DO NOT USE RED FROG HOBBIES!!

Hello, to everyone expecting to use Red Frog Hobbies,I ordered a Ford Gt resin kit from them,

,august 18 2017 expecting about 2 -4 wks and it would show up as  has in the past,,,guess what no one told anybody ownership had changed,FOR THE WORSE!!! 12 emails later no response! Do not use red frog hobbies!!!!

I've used them multiple times (both new and previous ownership) with no issues. I think the OP  should provide more details to support his blanket boycott recommendation. I also want to hear the retailers side of the story before I pass judgment.

I ordered all my Albion tubing from Red Frog a little over 2 months ago and no problems from them. They did have a mix up on one pack but that's an easy mistake and I got hold of them of told them don't worry about it as I will need to order more anyway. I got a fairly quick response back within 12 hours of my emailing them of the mistake. When did this change of ownership take place?

Paul

• 1 month later...

I too have been burned by this shop.  I ordered some HRM products from them a month ago & still haven't received them even though their website claims they have them in stock.  I have called numerous times & keep getting transferred to a voice mail box that is always full.  Many emails have gone unanswered.  Fortunately, I used PayPal & am prepared to open a dispute thru them.  Could someone tell me who else carries HRM products?   

The same people have owned Red Frog Hobbies since 2004 and are the same folks I've dealt with for years. Nothing wrong with the operation. The problem is with HRM. Red Frog places orders, expecting them to be filled in a timely manner so its customers can get their orders. HRM informs Red Frog that it's running behind schedule and will send out the outstanding order(s) as soon as possible. RF informs waiting customers that the shipment from HRM should be arriving shortly. It doesn't. The familiar refrain of "any day now" was HRM's mantra. More back and forth between irate customers, RF and HRM. HRM claims that the delay was caused by assorted issues which prevented the proprietor from satisfying outstanding orders; yet,  he still found the time to attend various shows during this period and sell the same swag which people previously ordered through RF. How do I know this is fact? There were guys on this here forum who saw him at different shows and raved about the boxes of of stuff available at the HRM table, including the Cobra Daytona Coupe I was sitting on my thumbs waiting for. One even mentioned that he picked up the Cobra at a show. Swell. RF apologized for the  delay and offered to issue me a refund; but, I told them I'll wait since it had gone this far. I ended up waiting 13 months before receiving my entire $250+ order. Wasn't enthusiastic about that; but, my choice. RF sent my stuff as it arrived and picked up the shipping on the smaller items. I didn't hold RF responsible for HRM's shortcomings. I also never have a problem with receiving replies from RF. I've even received calls to let me know if there were any problems with my orders.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

The same people have owned Red Frog Hobbies since 2004 and are the same folks I've dealt with for years. Nothing wrong with the operation. The problem is with HRM. Red Frog places orders, expecting them to be filled in a timely manner so its customers can get their orders. HRM informs Red Frog that it's running behind schedule and will send out the outstanding order(s) as soon as possible. RF informs waiting customers that the shipment from HRM should be arriving shortly. It doesn't. The familiar refrain of "any day now" was HRM's mantra. More back and forth between irate customers, RF and HRM. HRM claims that the delay was caused by assorted issues which prevented the proprietor from satisfying outstanding orders; yet,  he still found the time to attend various shows during this period and sell the same swag which people previously ordered through RF. How do I know this is fact? There were guys on this here forum who saw him at different shows and raved about the boxes of of stuff available at the HRM table, including the Cobra Daytona Coupe I was sitting on my thumbs waiting for. One even mentioned that he picked up the Cobra at a show. Swell. RF apologized for the  delay and offered to issue me a refund; but, I told them I'll wait since it had gone this far. I ended up waiting 13 months before receiving my entire $250+ order. Wasn't enthusiastic about that; but, my choice. RF sent my stuff as it arrived and picked up the shipping on the smaller items. I didn't hold RF responsible for HRM's shortcomings. I also never have a problem with receiving replies from RF. I've even received calls to let me know if there were any problems with my orders.

This may all be true but the fact remains that I have not heard one word from Red Frog as to the status of my order.  To me, that is rude &  borders on negligence to your customers.  I will not be dealing with them again.  

I can understand the frustration with these companies if they are not responsive.  HRM is a one man operation and I am sure he is filling the wholesale orders as quickly as he can.  People have waited ove a year for reputable resin casters to ship them an order and do not seem to complain.  I am lucky to see Harold Bradford almost monthly and have the luxury of dealing with him face to face.  I think he wanted to let some else deal with the retail side of the business and concentrate on cranking out the kits and transkits and parts.  We all know he does great work and if you have issues with the companies that try to stock his products keep in mind Brad used to only sell at a few shows and to buyers directly.

I am a one man operation in my business. I also deal with Mfg. and vendors that take unreasonably long to get me products. I know this and I relay this information to my customers. I take their money only if they are okay with waiting. I have never dealt with Red Frog, but if they have a history with this with HRM, it also falls on them, speaking from their shoes. If it happens a few times here and there, it happens, but if it is a consistent issue, then you need to operate with that in the open

• 5 weeks later...

I placed an order with RFH recently for some tape. The site clearly states they ship in 3 to 5 days. After 10 days with no sign of delivery, I emailed them to see if my order shipped. I got a message from paypal later that night (at 10;55pm)stating it was just shipped. Of course that was the usual BS because it had not shipped, it was just the notification that a label was created.

I'm wondering if it was coincidence that they shipped right after I emailed, or if it was my inquiry that made them ship my order.

So right now I don't have positive or negative thoughts on RFH, other than if you state it will be 3-5 days, it should leave their premises at 3-5 days, not 10. I''l update when I see they actually have shipped my order.

A quick update as I don't want to bash a vendor without reason. The following morning USPS is showing that they have the package and it is on it's way. So RFH did ship pretty much immediately after the label was made.

I just wonder if it would have shipped had I not contacted them. I guess I'll never know and for now I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

2 hours ago, afx said:

Talked with a resin caster that supplies Red Frog and he hasn't been paid for their most recent order of his products.

People forget that side of the equation.  If they wait to a customer orders something instead of stocking items, takes payment and then the supplier has a backlog, finally ships the stuff and then the vendor does not pay quickly, the customer is going to be upset not knowing what is going on.  I would prefer to only deal with people that either make the product on if they are a reseller they need let the customer know right away if the item is in stocker not.

Another update. My order arrived today, so the shipping was fast once it leaves their hands. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on the time it took to get it out the door. I would use them again if needed. I think an inquiry to items being in stock might help some of you who are ordering resin kits.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:34 PM, vamach1 said:

I would prefer to only deal with people that ... make the product...

That's the BEST advice.  I've been burned too many times by middlemen who are way too busy hauling checks to the bank, to engage in any dumb, old customer service.

Another sneak you'll want to watch your food stamps around is an eBay seller who calls himself "mitey-mouse".  Everything this guy sells is boot-legged trash from someone else.  His creative photography and less-than-honest descriptions make everything out to be Modelhaus-quality.  What you get is largely junk that needs so much retro work, it isn't worth the trouble.  He has a mean temper and an attitude that dares you to question his integrity over his misrepresented stuff.  He'll show a picture of a '54 Mercury, but what you receive is a badly modified '56 Ford, as one example.  If you push for a refund, he'll make one, but not before he's read you the Riot Act and called you every vulgar name in the book. 

On 3/10/2018 at 10:16 PM, 89AKurt said:

I ordered an HRM 917 engine from them, they were not responsive until I filed a complaint through PayPal.  He just sent out an email to several people explaining HRM is being slow.  So stay tuned, and be patient.

I hope it all worked out in the end.  Norman (R&Mod MD) and Harold Bradford (HRM) are not getting any younger and they prefer to deal direct with the customer.   Norm has stopped doing shows because he cannot make random stuff to sell and keep his regular mail order customers happy.  Brad sells at a fe shows but with trying to keep up with resellers and his regular customers it's not easy.  As we saw with Modelhaus there may not be anyone to take over for them so if you are on the fence about buying something I would not wait too long.  It may sound cold but at some point we will be stuck with only Mitey-mouse knock offs. :(

On 1/21/2018 at 1:30 PM, afx said:

Talked with a resin caster that supplies Red Frog and he hasn't been paid for their most recent order of his products.

Well, there's a good reason for not sending any more product.  You cannot blame the caster.

21 hours ago, luvzoldmopars said:

That's the BEST advice.  I've been burned too many times by middlemen who are way too busy hauling checks to the bank, to engage in any dumb, old customer service.

Another sneak you'll want to watch your food stamps around is an eBay seller who calls himself "mitey-mouse".  Everything this guy sells is boot-legged trash from someone else.  His creative photography and less-than-honest descriptions make everything out to be Modelhaus-quality.  What you get is largely junk that needs so much retro work, it isn't worth the trouble.  He has a mean temper and an attitude that dares you to question his integrity over his misrepresented stuff.  He'll show a picture of a '54 Mercury, but what you receive is a badly modified '56 Ford, as one example.  If you push for a refund, he'll make one, but not before he's read you the Riot Act and called you every vulgar name in the book. 

I am shocked to see this about Mighty Mouse . I bought on Ebay from Mighty Mouse . A "Modelhaus Master" of the '58 T-Bird they did offer long ago . It is just body , Glass . chassis (from a '59/'60 with half elliptical springs , not Coils rear suspension ) . I did round up Modelhaus parts , they fit . This took from 2006 - 2017 . These parts are in my last order ..  I just an lacking the dashboard . So , I did locate and buy an original AMT Interior . Way too narrow ? This may be why ? I also discovered the T-Bird was a promo only that year .  Wow .. Thanx ..