Model Cars Magazine Forum

56 Ford Victoria

randyc

Well, it's finished.   this is the one I posted about dropping in the Workbench area.   It's a curbside now.   No big deal - engine is still in there, just hood glued shut after hinges busted in drop.  Doors glued shut for same reason.  But all in all I like it and my wife loves it from her viewing distance.  I really mucked up the black trim around the windows.  But it was pretty visible in the car I used for reference. 

I had previously started this car and smoothed the hood and front fender emblems.  It was almost a gasser, but I do have lovely Gasser wheels for something else now...  And I used the stock kit wheels on the Dadillac.  So it's a "Day 2" car.  A little rake as well.  Looked good when I mocked it up, so I kept the rake.  Thought about some other add on parts, but in the end, Just did this.  Very beautiful cars in 1:1.

And I thank Tulio for inspiring me to get this one on the bench again.  His Ford work is pretty spectacular.  

IMG_20171028_105310704_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171028_105316884_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171028_105335912_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171028_105354834_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171028_105408896_HDR.jpg

WOW!! I LOVED it!!

Fiesta Red and Colonial White, always a winner. 

Droping her was for sure a setback, but it's not noticeable on the pictures at all. Lot's of modelers choose to get the doors glued shut on those AMT kits, so, not a big deal there. 

Also, if one really wanted to drive this car fast, and you had a E code V8 there by the picture of your on the workbench posting, dog dishes would be better. The full wheel covers have the tendency of learning to fly. 

I did that to my 1:1 Galaxie, that came from the factory with full wheel covers. After having to catch a flying wheel cover more than once, I decided to use the same vintage dog dishes, and well, problem solved. Also added some NOS trim rings, and for real, I liked the looks way better than with the stock full wheel covers. 

By the way, the work on the windows to represent the rubber seal is not bad at all. This kit was a very vague attaching point to the front and rear windscreen. 

Also, very honored to have inspired you to resume work on this beauty. If you don't like her, I'll send you my address with a smile!! 

WOW!! I LOVED it!!

Fiesta Red and Colonial White, always a winner. 

Droping her was for sure a setback, but it's not noticeable on the pictures at all. Lot's of modelers choose to get the doors glued shut on those AMT kits, so, not a big deal there. 

Also, if one really wanted to drive this car fast, and you had a E code V8 there by the picture of your on the workbench posting, dog dishes would be better. The full wheel covers have the tendency of learning to fly. 

I did that to my 1:1 Galaxie, that came from the factory with full wheel covers. After having to catch a flying wheel cover more than once, I decided to use the same vintage dog dishes, and well, problem solved. Also added some NOS trim rings, and for real, I liked the looks way better than with the stock full wheel covers. 

By the way, the work on the windows to represent the rubber seal is not bad at all. This kit was a very vague attaching point to the front and rear windscreen. 

Also, very honored to have inspired you to resume work on this beauty. If you don't like her, I'll send you my address with a smile!! 

THANKS everyone for the compliments.

It was supposed to represent Mandarin Orange.  BUt.... the paint I had was a bit darker - Testors Sunburst I think.  The white is shifted darker as well - to be a "creamier" color.  Not so stark and bright as Colonial white.  I really wanted to see if I could get both doors to open on this one.  I have 57 where ONE door worked from the 90s.  So it was a personal challenge, again inspired by your black & white build.   They were working til the drop.  

I also had a set of "ford" hubcaps that were in the running from some old project.  Decided to stick with the smoothies to give a little "hotter" look.  

That rubber seal is pretty much on every car if you really look.  I try to add details like that.  To me, they make the difference in a finished build.  But I blew it on these crazy shaped windows.  Hard to paint those and I'm a bit too impatient to really spend the time working out a mask. Maybe next time, I'll wait til the windows are glued in and try it that way.  So I have a better idea of the final positioning of the glass.

And sorry, but this one will be staying with me for a while.  May dig out the 57 and re do it to sit alongside.  It was done up with the 90s interior and the Budnik wheels in the kit, purple pearl and white, following the factory color break.

Man that has the perfect look about it. Just need a license plate and you would be good to go.

I wasn't sure where it really went.  The reference car I used had a Continental kit.  I did look it up and may put one on it eventually.  I have a LOT of models with no license plates.  I should print a whole sheet of the Acme NC plates with my name or something to use when a kit plate gets lost or isn't right.

THANKS everyone for the compliments.

It was supposed to represent Mandarin Orange.  BUt.... the paint I had was a bit darker - Testors Sunburst I think.  The white is shifted darker as well - to be a "creamier" color.  Not so stark and bright as Colonial white.  I really wanted to see if I could get both doors to open on this one.  I have 57 where ONE door worked from the 90s.  So it was a personal challenge, again inspired by your black & white build.   They were working til the drop.  

I also had a set of "ford" hubcaps that were in the running from some old project.  Decided to stick with the smoothies to give a little "hotter" look.  

That rubber seal is pretty much on every car if you really look.  I try to add details like that.  To me, they make the difference in a finished build.  But I blew it on these crazy shaped windows.  Hard to paint those and I'm a bit too impatient to really spend the time working out a mask. Maybe next time, I'll wait til the windows are glued in and try it that way.  So I have a better idea of the final positioning of the glass.

And sorry, but this one will be staying with me for a while.  May dig out the 57 and re do it to sit alongside.  It was done up with the 90s interior and the Budnik wheels in the kit, purple pearl and white, following the factory color break.

From the pictures, one can hardly tell your white is creamy. 

I never had problem making the doors to work, but making them fit is a real problem. On the Round2 reissues the problem is somewhat worse, as the drivers door is bent, with the lower rear corner always sticking out of the body. It was this way in all three Round2 reissues I built. The first one, I tried just to bend it back, but with time it came back to a really bent state. On the other two, I used hot water, and had no more problems. On the old reissues, the problem is not there. 

On the rubber seal, as the way the glass goes on the body is more a guess than a sure place, I'm toying with the idea of cutting very thin stripes of Tamiya tape, like 1/2mm thick, and paint them flat black, to then install them around the glass from the outside, as the real rubber is also visible on the outside. I think that may work. 

Can't blame you for sticking with the car, it's a real beauty!! 

Thanks. I saw one on FB last night that was blue/white with just the steelies.  no caps. Sharp.  The more I look, the more I can appreciate the design of this particular car.  It was a fun build as well.  Would love a new tech version like the Revell 57.