Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

Hands down , one-each of the MPC 1973-1975 Duster annuals . I have a few 'bombs and some random parts , but would LOVE to have some virgin plastic to work with !

- 1973 , as that was my 2nd car ;

- 1974 , because this annual includes Motor Wheels 'Spyders' as an option , and ;

- 1975 , as the grille was unique .

MPCduster1973.thumb.jpg.289f4fa8db7d88caMPCduster1974.thumb.jpg.a6c63f140e6ae82c75duster.thumb.jpg.67b5489bee741cf1525c0

Hand's down my all time holy grail would be Jo-Han Haulin Hearse. I built one back in the day and traded it for something...... cant remember what.

I see them on e-bay occasionally. Cant justify the price.

I do have The Heavenly Hearse...not quite the same thing but also one of my holy grail's.

Edited by Little Timmy

Santa baby,

I want a Buddy L Texaco...

You know

With all accessories shown

Santa baby... hurry down my chimney tonight!

texaco_xmas.thumb.jpg.2bb43683721dbd81e2

Thank goodness I have (or have had) pretty much every car kit I want. Between my blueprints and the MRC kit I could scratchbuild one, but it would still be fun to have the original.

I have actually had some luck getting a couple of my "Holy Grail" kits that were on the top of my list but just couldn't justify paying the collector prices the kits were going for on eBay thanks to recent reissues. The highest on that list was the kit that got me started in the hobby over 30 years ago, the MPC 1/16th scale General Lee. 

59fbee1bd4212_20171103_0016431.thumb.jpgAnother was the first big rig I ever built as a kid, Monogram's 1/16th scale Kenworth Aerodyne. 

HPIM4851.thumb.JPG.bbb148374b2cc9063ed07

The biggest one that was on my list until just a few weeks ago when I was lucky enough to win it in a live auction group I'm in on Facebook was concept Pontiac Trans Am Type K "Kammbach" sport wagon that I had been trying to replace from losing my original (and the other two previous also) in a house fire in 1997. The old saying "lightning doesn't strike twice" is untrue in this case too, because not only did I win the factory sealed kit, but a week later in the same auction group the same seller I bought the sealed kit from also had a nearly complete builder kit as well so it found its way to me too. Now I can keep the sealed one sealed and also build it again too! 

59fbeca045de4_20171013_2346141.thumb.jpg

The only kit, though still a "Holy Grail" but not quite as high on the list as these three were, is a 74-76 Trans Am. I also had one of them back in the days before losing my first collection in the fire when I had at least one kit of every different body and/or bumper style of Trans Ams and Firebirds. 

This, even though a slight bit different, was also a "Holy Grail" that became that way because of the house fire. It took me almost 10 years to find this after the fire and meant more to me for sentimental value than any price tag could ever put on it, but it was what could be said was my first entry into the modeling hobby, the engine from my first train set that I had gotten for my first Christmas. There weren't many pieces that lived through my childhood from that original train set, but the original engine was still going strong until the fire claimed it 21 years later. I know it's not the original, but the memories make it close enough for me!

59fbf265cd476_20170207_1849521.thumb.jpg

Two of my grail kits for many years were the AMT Double Dragster and the 25T Double kit, since their rerelease I have acquired two of each.  I guess my grail kits now are an annual 63 Pontiac Bonneville and a 62 Ford Galaxie.  There are several promos of the Pontiac on Ebay, but I cannot justify the price, plus I want a kit, haven't seen a 62 Ford hardtop in many years.

I've been fortunate enough to score most of my "holy grails" off ePay in the last decade or so--a few unbuilt kits, but mostly restorable glue bombs.I'm a fairly happy camper at this point in my life.

As to stuff I don't have, probably JoHan '69 GTX, MPC '68 Coronet and MPC '68 Impala Oh, and AMT '65 Chevelle. For stuff that I have already built or have restorable glue bombs of, it would be nice to have mint unbuilt kits of:

AMT '67 Camaro

AMT '66 Mustang Fastback

MPC '67 Bonneville

Original first-issue AMT '65 GTO

MPC '68 and '69 GTOs

AMT '66 Skylark

MINE IS NOT A KIT BUT A PROMO- 1969 MUSTANG FASTBACK BY MPC

OUCH, Thats one that will put a serious dent in a piggy bank. I mean a BIG dent

I assume you saw the one that sold on ebay a few weeks ago ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1969-Mustang-Fastback-Red-Promo-Model-With-Box-Ultra-Rare-Mint-NOS-/401413487965?hash=item5d761bbd5d%3Ag%3AQY4AAOSwJQlZzYK6&nma=true&si=M7%2FwpQA%2FQ4T1KbaN%2BrxTLsAINNc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by gtx6970

Gasp! >thud< And I couldn't even teach the kids to drive in it!  :o