Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

My second "Grail" kit would have to be Revell's Land Rover.

Do you mean the Monogram Land Rover, as shown below?  Or a Revell re-pop of somebody else's kit?  I'm always looking for working vehicles like the Land Rover.  But in 1/24, only know of the old ESCI kits.  And Aoshima's nice Range Rovers.

One of my grails is the FROG 1/16 scale Dennis Ambulance, also shown below.  Had one years ago and foolishly sold it. It's very simplified and motorized, and comes with crude zombie-like figures. But it's weird and I'd like to have another.  They come up VERY rarely on eBay and sell for mega-bucks when they do.

lr_mon.jpg

FrogDennisAmb.jpg

Do you mean the Monogram Land Rover, as shown below?  Or a Revell re-pop of somebody else's kit?  I'm always looking for working vehicles like the Land Rover.  But in 1/24, only know of the old ESCI kits.  And Aoshima's nice Range Rovers.

One of my grails is the FROG 1/16 scale Dennis Ambulance, also shown below.  Had one years ago and foolishly sold it. It's very simplified and motorized, and comes with crude zombie-like figures. But it's weird and I'd like to have another.  They come up VERY rarely on eBay and sell for mega-bucks when they do.

lr_mon.jpg

FrogDennisAmb.jpg

You are right.....I meant that Monogram one -thanks for reminding me. I have that really nice Aoshima one, but I NEED it to be a SWB, and the Aoshima kit is LWB. I suppose I could "hack it up" and shorten it, but I don't really feel like all that work. Actually, if anybody wanted to trade my Aoshima for the Monogram one, i'd do it in a heartbeat!!!!

I have a top four or five holy grail models, but two are resin models so I don't know if that counts if you only mean actual kits produced by a major maker. Two are resin kits originally made available from Modelhaus, the 1971 Ford Galaxie 500 sedan and the 1972 Ford Galaxie 2-door hardtop. One is the MPC 1969 Dodge Coronet. Two are the old Johan 1970 Plymouth Road Runner and GTX. I'll probably never find any of these, or if I do find them they'll probably have astronomical prices.

Holy Grails.jpg

Hmmm.

I guess I didn't realize that hard drugs were a major problem in the modeling world! <_<

Steve

Hmmm.

I guess I didn't realize that hard drugs were a major problem in the modeling world! <_<

Steve

Having had my share of dealer promos ( almost all Mopar) I casually look for them . One just Never knows when You'll find one that grabs your attention.  The one above is hands down the most expensive promo Ive ever seen sell.

The 69 Mustang was only avail in red and is extremely tough  to find. The fact this one was pretty much dead mint and in the original box. I knew it was gonna go nuts before it was over.

Even flawed they still get crazy money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarce-Old-1969-Mustang-Red-Promo-Car-Good-Shape-Needs-Some-TLC-Rarely-Seen-/112550879537?hash=item1a348e2131%3Ag%3ARxMAAOSwE~NZrHJl&nma=true&si=M7%2FwpQA%2FQ4T1KbaN%2BrxTLsAINNc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A 1969 Dodge Coronet convertible promo is big money ( usually tops out between $1500 and  $2000, probably add $500 or more if its  red  )

And an odd one is I think is a  1962 or maybe it was a 63 Imperial convertible in black. That one will top out over $2000 as well.

As for one of my other grail kits I have them. Both  a dead mint as well as one I built of the Barry Setzer Vega funnycar.  I built one many many years ago back when 1st released. Lost it and many many  more in a house fire . As I remember them I keep an eye  to get them back again today

Built the kit from a pretty much unbuilt  but tinkered with one I grabbed off Ebay several years ago. My unbuilt was factory sealed when I got it ( have since opened it just to insure myself its actually in the box )

The other grail kit for me is  the Roger Lindamood 1968 Charger funnycar. Ive got a pretty clean builder and the box. I used to have a mint unbuilt ,,,but in a weak moment sold it several years ago (a decision  Ive regretted  ever since )

BarrySetzer.jpg

BarrySetzer-boxed.thumb.jpg.a7ed79b0d756

CMG-68Charger.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

1967 Pontiac Bonneville. Kit or promo. That front end is so unique it’s cool! When I was a kid our neighbor had one. Great old guy. Taught me a lot about cars since my own pop wasn’t much of a gear head. Like to have one in his memory. eBay prices are just ridiculous!

I can't really think of a real holy grail kit for me personally. The only things "holy grail" for me are of cars that don't exist as kits. I do want anything 60s Dodge pickup, I got the Modelhaus 65 D100 to replicate my own 65 D100 but a plastic kit would be great (come on Moebius or Revell or anyone else for that matter)

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

I want kits of so many cars that there are no kits of such as a 60s Mercedes Benz 190 or 200 sedan

MercedesW110boxart.jpg
I made this fake boxart some years ago.

I have also managed to get hold of the kits that where my first kits such as the Monogram 53 Chevy Bel Air and the 40 Ford pickup street rod.
IMG_0269_resize.jpg

I guess that maybe I could see a sort of "holy grail" in the first plastic model kit that I had to glue and build my self. That was a Academy 1:144 Junkers JU88 bomber.
This one is on Ebay right now for 20$
s-l1600.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACADEMY-MINICRAFT-junkers-JU-88-A-4-/231027113806
But I'm not really that interested in building planes anymore would only get it if I found it at a swapmeet or something and I would build it for the nostalgia and nothing else.

I have however over the years collected many of the Heller 1:24 and 1:43 car kits in black boxes and would love to complete the collection one day. I have searched out and paid good money for many kits in the past 12-13 years (many trough Ebay, I have been on ebay since April 2005).
Myabe this is a sign that my model collection is big enough and that I'm satisfied with what I got.

Maybe on thing that I can think of now is more accesories and figures kits, I got some but I'm sure there are more of them out there.

There's hundreds of kits that are cool but I don't care to "collect" kits just to say I have them. I buy stuff to build but since getting in this hobby again I want to find this kit but I'm not gonna pay stupid money for one. If I find one for a fair price I'll buy it and build it.

$_58.JPG

Edited by Terminator-Fox

SPOILER ALERT!

Okay, I buy the dragons. I buy flying dragons. I buy flying fire-breathing dragons. I buy Ice Zombies. I buy the Ice Zombie polar bear. I'll even buy John Snow crawling out of a frozen lake and NOT freezing to death of hypothermia within minutes.

But can SOMEBODY tell me this:

Where did the Ice Zombies come up with about four miles of heavy-ass chain?????

AMT's Unreal Edsel

GrHqYOKjEOlfjgOBMezGZHkOg_12vi-vi.jpg

I'd like to get one of those too. It's just too outrageous to pass up.

I have a few, and some of those were just found. I had been looking for the Revell of Germany Kenworth Heavy Hauler, and the Bill Signs Trucking, as well as any of the tri drive Peterbilt's they made...........just found them all. I have been looking for them for a few years, and found them all within a month of each other. Wow!

Am still looking for an original AMT 1964 GTO kit, built or not. Had one years ago, and someone wanted it more than I did, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Now, I wish I had kept it!

I refuse to pay absurd prices for 50 year old kits so when I spotted this built up in good condition I snagged it for $15. Most of the time I see a 67 Mustang it is a glue bomb.  The chassis and engine were trashed but are identical to the 68 Shelby kit that are plentiful and cheap.

IMG_1448.JPG

Edited by vamach1