Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

I just realized I posted in this topic almost two and a half years ago, and I am happy to say that as of recently I have both of these in my stash :D

I guess that's it for me buying kits, at least for the time being, which is just as well considering the apocalypse ?

On 11/3/2017 at 8:04 PM, PowerPlant said:

I'd be ok with never getting another kit when I find these two...

59fcbd7e44473_Ferrari2025020SWB.thumb.jp20055601a521a5bef.thumb.jpg.fd732f940b20

The AMT Gas Ronda Longnose Mustang Funny Car, with a Sounds of Drag Racing record included. I have obtained several other favorites from my youth, all re-issues, but I have only seen one or two on E-Bay after they were sold. I assume the tooling must be lost.

Just now, Roadrunner said:

Not a grail kit so much as something I just really want, is one of the gangster cars that were done many, many moons ago; MPC maybe? I had one or two when I was a pup, and liked them a lot.

Yes, The Gangbusters series by MPC

Image result for mpc gangbusters model kits

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Sorry to de-sanctify your Grail, but it's much much worse than the box art! :(

(images via gasolinealleyantiques.com)

OMG that's really bad. ?  I won't obsess about getting that kit.  I ought to be happy to have enough kits for several lifetimes.

On 11/6/2017 at 4:40 PM, Draggon said:

One of them used to be the original Monogram 55 Chevy until I got one from Bob Black over at TRaK. The Yellow Jacket is probably a priority now, but I really want any of the vintage Revell Drag double kits. I've got enough parts packs to make a couple of them, but I'd really like an intact kit.

Image result for monogram 55 chevy

Related image

Agreed. I managed to acquire two of the three Revell double kits...the Mooneyes dragster and the Fiat kits...although I had to supplement them with parts pack parts as one was pretty much a glue bomb kit. The Bantam Bomber Scarlet Screamer eludes me to this day.

22 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have the '32 Chrysler Imperial roadster and the '28 Lincoln Touring, both from the "Connoisseur Classics" series, not the "Gangbusters" series, but I'm pretty certain that they still have all of the gangster stuff in the kits.

Steve

Interesting to know. Thanks for that. There's something that just really appeals about the original Gangbusters cars though, they bring back such nice memories.

20 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

When my dad was a Park Ranger at Saguaro N.M. in the 70s, patrol truck was a Dodge, that same green!

Since Photo****it link is dead, you able to post that picture?  I grew up with a 190 sedan, picture was taken before I was born, and before moving from Zion (Utah plate).  I sure hope the kit looks better than the box art. ?  Think this qualifies for Holy Grail.

itc-mercedesbenz.JPG

8943505737_4dcc51074e_o.jpg

The fake box art I made was a Revell AG box with a W110 Fintail on it. I will see if I find the picture again and repost it. I do have that ITC kit, sadly not very good.
Last summer I "babysat" a 1960 180 "ponton" like you grew up with. Here it is with my ex-wife posing next to it:

IMG_5564_resize_resize.JPG

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have the '32 Chrysler Imperial roadster and the '28 Lincoln Touring, both from the "Connoisseur Classics" series, not the "Gangbusters" series, but I'm pretty certain that they still have all of the gangster stuff in the kits.

That depends.   The "Connoisseur Classics" name was used twice, first by MPC, then again by AMT-ERTL. 

The original MPC "Connoisseur Classics" came out in the 1970s and did NOT have the Gangbuster parts.  AMT/ERTL used the "CC" name again in the mid-1980s.  Those kits did have the gangster stuff, but did not mention them anywhere on the box.  

We can tell them apart by the box art.  The MPC Chrysler with the red car on the box is original CC with no gangster bits.  The AMT-ERTL CC box with the white car does have them.

conclas-1.jpg

conclas-2.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof3

I have been lucky enough to find most of my grail kits, but there are still a few I want to find. 

Unbuilt AMT 1968 Ford Galaxie: Every started kit or built-up I have seen has managed to mess up the front suspension. 

JoHan 1968-69 AMC Javelin, clean rebuilder or unbuilt.

AMT 1958 Ford Hardtop.

JoHan 1965 Plymouth Hardtop (I have a line on a built-up from a friend, so I should be able to remove this one from the list)

21 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Sorry, have to ask why this kit.  I know some Tamiya kits are scarce, such as the Volvo BTCC, Honda Civic and CRX.  Since I'm in this topic, the C-111 has been a holy grail, managed to acquire the out-of-business brand kit that is really horrid with motorized setup that ruined the interior, and no engine.

IMG_6625_Fotor.jpg

I'm new to all this and tried to get one last year when I first started this hobby.  I love prototype cars and I think this might be the most detailed of them all.  I'm not ready for it yet but it looks cool and when I have the skills to detail it out, it will look great on my desk.

Funny thing though.. I think there is a Tamiya Nissan Prototype that sells new for $18 that is just as detailed... 

Edited by jchrisf

57 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

JoHan 1968-69 AMC Javelin, clean rebuilder or unbuilt.

Kits and clean rebuilders are rare and expensive. '68 promos are around for semi-affordable prices, especially less-than-perfect ones. I just scored a '69 promo but it cost me a LOT of money and took ten years to find. '70s are also pretty rare. But your best chance is a distressed '68 promo. If you must have a detailed kit, you can cut the hood out and combine it with the chassis/engine from a more available '72, or whatever year that last reissue was. 

If you buy a distressed one or "project," make sure it has front and rear chrome and the taillights--these are unobtainable today. Broken/missing A-pillars (common) can be fixed, missing glass can be replaced with clear plastic, but you MUST have the front and rear chrome and taillights. 

Keyser, the Merit Bluebird kit dates back to the 1960's. The company that made Merit kits was J and R Randall, based in Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, England. I think that they may still be in existence but making other things than kits such as childrens toys and games.

3 hours ago, jchrisf said:

I'm new to all this and tried to get one last year when I first started this hobby.  I love prototype cars and I think this might be the most detailed of them all.  I'm not ready for it yet but it looks cool and when I have the skills to detail it out, it will look great on my desk.

Funny thing though.. I think there is a Tamiya Nissan Prototype that sells new for $18 that is just as detailed... 

Tamiya and Hasegawa both did a full detail Nissan R89C

Image result for tamiya Nissan R89Image result for hasegawa Nissan R89

Hasegawa also issued a version of the kit with the engine parts cast in metals.  I have this version in the stash. I might be convinced to part with it for a fair offer.

Image result for hasegawa nissan r89C

Edited by afx