Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

1 hour ago, afx said:

Tamiya and Hasegawa both did a full detail Nissan R89C

Image result for tamiya Nissan R89Image result for hasegawa Nissan R89

Hasegawa also issued a version of the kit with the engine parts cast in metals.  I have this version in the stash. I might be convinced to part with it for a fair offer.

Image result for hasegawa Nissan R89

Tamiya must still be making theirs as I can find it online everywhere.  But it is a different version than the one you posted.  They also have the Toyota and both are around $18 if you can believe that.  I already have them but might need to get a couple more for that price.

15 hours ago, Hotrod 97 said:

Here are my current grail kits. Revell Tom McEwen ‘57 Chevy Funny Car, and an MPC 1914 Stutz Bearcat.

That MPC 1914 Stutz Bearcat is often available on eBay for reasonable prices.  I just searched for it in "Completed Items."  One kit sold recently for $9.50, with only 2 bids.  But since this is eBay...another one sold for $80. I have a couple in the stash myself. But I hoard them for the Wisconsin T-Head engine and other antique parts. 

5 hours ago, Atmobil said:

The fake box art I made was a Revell AG box with a W110 Fintail on it. I will see if I find the picture again and repost it. I do have that ITC kit, sadly not very good.
Last summer I "babysat" a 1960 180 "ponton" like you grew up with. Here it is with my ex-wife posing next to it:

IMG_5564_resize_resize.JPG

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

I could swear I've posted in this thread but I couldn't find it.  Regardless, I'd say the Jo-Han Pro Stock Maverick is my holy grail, but I have two of them now, and there's a couple of people with WIPs of the kit in the Drag Racing section.  Guess it's not *that* rare.

5 hours ago, Mike999 said:

That depends.   The "Connoisseur Classics" name was used twice, first by MPC, then again by AMT-ERTL. 

The original MPC "Connoisseur Classics" came out in the 1970s and did NOT have the Gangbuster parts.  AMT/ERTL used the "CC" name again in the mid-1980s.  Those kits did have the gangster stuff, but did not mention them anywhere on the box.  

We can tell them apart by the box art.  The MPC Chrysler with the red car on the box is original CC with no gangster bits.  The AMT-ERTL CC box with the white car does have them.

conclas-2.jpg

Yup, the bottom kit depicts the series that I was referring to.

Steve

7 hours ago, Mike999 said:

That depends.   The "Connoisseur Classics" name was used twice, first by MPC, then again by AMT-ERTL. 

The original MPC "Connoisseur Classics" came out in the 1970s and did NOT have the Gangbuster parts.  AMT/ERTL used the "CC" name again in the mid-1980s.  Those kits did have the gangster stuff, but did not mention them anywhere on the box.  

We can tell them apart by the box art.  The MPC Chrysler with the red car on the box is original CC with no gangster bits.  The AMT-ERTL CC box with the white car does have them.

Excellent, and thank you. The '27 Lincoln seems to go for peanuts on feepay, so I'll just (eventually) snatch one from there.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Excellent, and thank you. The '27 Lincoln seems to go for peanuts on feepay, so I'll just (eventually) snatch one from there.

Yep. Last year on eBay, I sold both Gangbuster Lincolns in a lot: an original '27 Roadster and re-issue '28 Phaeton. The lot sold for $34.33, or about $17 each.

AMT- ERTL didn't release the '27 Roadster with the other kits in the 1980's "Connoisseur Classics" series. So the only way to get one with the gangsta parts is to buy an original.  It's a nice kit. One of the gangster figures in the kit is a female, which is unusual. And the kit comes with a working golf-bag door in the passenger side. Complete with a golf bag and some individual golf clubs to go in it.  Ah, the good old days!

7 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Yep. Last year on eBay, I sold both Gangbuster Lincolns in a lot: an original '27 Roadster and re-issue '28 Phaeton. The lot sold for $34.33, or about $17 each.

AMT- ERTL didn't release the '27 Roadster with the other kits in the 1980's "Connoisseur Classics" series. So the only way to get one with the gangsta parts is to buy an original.  It's a nice kit. One of the gangster figures in the kit is a female, which is unusual. And the kit comes with a working golf-bag door in the passenger side. Complete with a golf bag and some individual golf clubs to go in it.  Ah, the good old days!

I think the extra stuff in the gangster kits are so neat specially the golf clubs.

11 hours ago, JJ Deuce said:

I could swear I've posted in this thread but I couldn't find it.  Regardless, I'd say the Jo-Han Pro Stock Maverick is my holy grail, but I have two of them now, and there's a couple of people with WIPs of the kit in the Drag Racing section.  Guess it's not *that* rare.

Those Johan Mavericks can be found just expensive. Sometimes a Testors Comet shows up on eBay....

16 hours ago, Claes Ericsson said:

The Jo-Han '69 GTX kit is the one I'm looking for, I think I have most of the other hard to find Mopar B-bodies. Others that are on the next-to-impossible list are the SMP 1911 Chevy, the Gladen Aerocar and the two Revell 1955/56 Autorama sets

69_gtx_box_003-vi.jpg

LOVE this box art!!!!

16 hours ago, Claes Ericsson said:

The Jo-Han '69 GTX kit is the one I'm looking for, I think I have most of the other hard to find Mopar B-bodies. Others that are on the next-to-impossible list are the SMP 1911 Chevy, the Gladen Aerocar and the two Revell 1955/56 Autorama sets

69_gtx_box_003-vi.jpg

I have a couple builtups of this one...but no unbuilts

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Those Johan Mavericks can be found just expensive. Sometimes a Testors Comet shows up on eBay....

yeah I found both of mine on ebay.  The first one was expensive but less than I'd seen in a while.  the second one was not too crazy of a price, and I was familiar with the seller.

I'm going to sell the one I have that is sealed, and go ahead and build the opened one.

On 3/19/2020 at 1:53 PM, Mike999 said:

That MPC 1914 Stutz Bearcat is often available on eBay for reasonable prices.  I just searched for it in "Completed Items."  One kit sold recently for $9.50, with only 2 bids.  But since this is eBay...another one sold for $80. I have a couple in the stash myself. But I hoard them for the Wisconsin T-Head engine and other antique parts. 

Glad to hear that they aren’t too hard to come by. Thanks for the info. I’ll have to keep an eye out for ‘em.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:11 AM, espo said:

Interesting looking kit. Is it the model year, 1971, or the build options that is the big draw for you ? The reason I ask is that AMT offered one of their 3 in 1 kits of a '70 Impala but without the "Sprint Car Wing" . 

My first 1:1 car was a 71, thats the reason I'd like one.

I dont have a holy grail kit. I have a 1/8 scale Iroc model I have wanted to build for about 10 years. I started it once, and my son fell into the box, crushing it. I located another, before the prices went crazy, and set it back. Im starting to gather parts for it now.

I have always wanted to build a model, with no kit parts. 3d printed parts and scratch build everything else. It just seems to be the pinnacle of difficulty to me. I am eyeing a 3d printed COE chevy truck, in 1/16 scale. It would be the most I have spent on a model, and have the least parts- just the cab, hood, grill, and doors. Everything else would have to be printed or scratch built. 

Im working on my chassis building and scratch building. I recently started playing with the brass tubing. I am really liking that stuff. I might get there one day....

On 11/4/2017 at 4:05 PM, unclescott58 said:

Holy grains? Boy, I have several! Here are my top five:

1. MPC 1972 Chevrolet Impala

2. AMT Chevy Open Road Mini Motorhome

3. Any of the Renwal Exner/Revival kits.

4. JoHan 1967 Chrysler 300 convertible

5. MPC 1969 Chevrolet Impala convertible

I have four more to add to my list. 1. The AMT '32 Ford two-door sedan that came originally in the double kit with the '40 Willys coupe. As much as I love the '32 grille and grille shell, I really like the Edsel grille on that one. 2. The Monogram Mean Maverick. I got one for Christmas one year ('71 or '72). And I loved it! 3. Monogram's original, molded in green, Poison Pinto. Another great Danials' design. 4. Another Monogram kit. Their Mercedes Benz 450SL. I don't understand why this kit was never reissued after the 1970's? It was a simple, but very nice kit. 

Heck, lets make the model car list an even ten. (Well, kind of, as you'll see.) 10. Any of the JoHan Oldies series of models reissued in the 1970's. Look what was included in the group. The '60 DeSoto 2-door hardtop and Plymouth station wagon. The '62 Dodge Dart 440 and Plymouth Fury. In both 2-door hardtops and convertibles. The '62 Chrysler 300H hardtop. And the '66 AMC Marlin. All of those kits belong on my "holy grain" list. 

And last, not a car kit. But, very desirable kit in another realm. Revell's Space Station kit from '59. A poor seller at the time. Revell later destroyed the molds. Today it's a very sought after. And very expensive.  

• 3 weeks later...

I just scored one of my many holy grail kits off eBay. When it arrives, I'll post the pics. It's a rebuilder, and not 100% complete, and I probably paid too much, but I've been trying to get one for something like 20 years! Stay tuned, Earthlings!!

On 11/1/2017 at 6:36 PM, Eshaver said:

I was given a partly built one of these by member Mark Orr. I still am in search of a complete kit or at least the Rear bubble top to complete the one I have .

Futuresta POP 1965.jpg

I was so happy to see it go to a good home...that needs to happen to them plus it makes the world a little better of a place in the end for someone and that is much better than money.   I have many grails so its very hard for me to pick the top one but they all mean something special to me in my hear even though I know Ill probably never have them..or enough of them to make one with....LOL....

Monogram U-Real Roller show rod kit..was the first ever kit I built with my dad.

Monogram large scale funny car Mean Maverick

MPC 68,69 Bonnevilles

MPC 69-72 Grand Prixs..even the custom ones

Normatt Winnebago Motorhome

Johan 67,68,69,70 Cadillac Coupe DeVille HTs

MPC 71-75 Dodge vans

MPC 70,71 Mercury Cyclone Spoilers

MPC Fast ones series snap kits...70 GTO..70 Grand Prix..etc.

AMT 70/71 Ford LTD 4 door HT

AMT 70/71 Pontiac Ventura/Sprint

Johan 66 Chrysler 300 HT

MPC 70? 1/20th scale 2wd Ford vans

MPC/AMT 69 Impala HT

These are on top of my grail list anyway.

Edited by disabled modeler