Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's "new" Jeep & Snowmachine kit

stavanzer

The directions are up at the Revell Website. Seems to be the last Issue "Pink Poison" kit, with the Skidoo thrown in. Looking at the old "Ice Patrol" kit instruction's at the Drastic Plastic Website, the part numbers on the Snowmachine or the same from the old "Ice Patrol" to the new Jeep kit. IIRC, the parts for the Skidoo in the older kit were mixed in with other parts, not on a tree by themselves. But, I could be suffering from CRS, so that my not be true. Revell could have cloned the parts, as well, but I don't see why the part #s would stay the same. I ma also baffled by the "Chrome Parts" call out. Looking at my copy of the "Pink Poison" kit, the only tree that might be chromed would be the Roll Bar, Gas Can, & Brush Guard sprue.

Either way, I look forward to this kit. Always great to have another Pickup Kit, and being a Jeep makes it even better. Now, if we could just get Revell to bring back the Dune Buggy Snap Kit, I'd be golden.

That is what I thought I remembered. I'll be really curious to see if the Sled tree looks like the one you show. It would be nice if that push bumper makes it into the Jeep Kit.

I would almost guarantee it won't. The Arctic Cat snowmobile and the companion Chevy Scottsdale 4x4 (well, FUAXx4) have never been reissued, while the Revell 2WD Chevy Stepside has been reissued many, many times over the last three decades, virtually unchanged. I think the kit was permanently altered to the 2WD version, hence the reason we've never seen the snowmobile since 1980(?). Now, perhaps the inserts survived, or maybe this new kit will include the parts based on a recreation of the originals...we will see in a few months, but after looking at the instruction sheet images, the parts appear to look just like the original parts-- same number of bogey wheels, same track halves, etc. Even the windshield appears to have the same shape.

Keep in mind the Revell Jeep Honcho kit has only 71 parts total, so it's not exactly killing it in the parts count department. There's plenty of room inside the standard box to add something extra, just like Revell did with the snowplow they added to the (also low-ish parts count) GMC 4x4 kit a few years ago. Honestly, the Jeep kit is pretty disappointing, but it's the only game in town when it comes to a J-series Jeep, so there is always demand for it. It will sell out quickly.

On 11/2/2017 at 5:07 PM, alexis said:

Looking at my copy of the "Pink Poison" kit, the only tree that might be chromed would be the Roll Bar, Gas Can, & Brush Guard sprue.

Looking at the box art model, it appears to me there will be no chrome plated parts, like most (but not all, the Pink Poison issue being the exception) previous releases. I see Alclad or similar on the bumpers, grille, and wheels, not chrome plating:

85-7224-lg.jpg

Edited by Casey

...it's the only game in town when it comes to a J-series Jeep, so there is always demand for it. It will sell out quickly.

...and possibly make some money for the enterprising resin caster that can come up with a passable gladiator grill ^_^

PC244732

mike

Honestly, the Jeep kit is pretty disappointing, but it's the only game in town when it comes to a J-series Jeep, so there is always demand for it. It will sell out quickly.

I knew a guy who was working on an improved cab and bed for this otherwise simple kit but haven't heard much from him in a while, not sure if he ever got it finished and ready for casting. It would be a marked improvement over the kit offering and with an engine swap from the Revell Jeep CJ-7 kit, a more realistic model could be built.

Maybe with this kit coming out he will be motivated to finish up the cab and bed and get it ready for casting?

...and possibly make some money for the enterprising resin caster that can come up with a passable gladiator grill ^_^

PC244732

mike

The is one being made as a Wagoneer. I sent him a message to ask if he'd sell the grille separately. Still waiting for the answer.

rmr63jeepwagoneer.thumb.jpg.84175457dc7e

Edited by landman

Yeah, I need to find that Gladiator grille. Who is casting that Wagoneer?

Casey, I mentioned the Chrome parts because the Revell write up of the kit mentioned them. I'm thinking that the Revell copy writer made a mistake. That seems far more likely than Chrome parts.

I need to finish the one I'm building right now.

Yeah, I need to find that Gladiator grille. Who is casting that Wagoneer?

Casey, I mentioned the Chrome parts because the Revell write up of the kit mentioned them. I'm thinking that the Revell copy writer made a mistake. That seems far more likely than Chrome parts.

RMR models :http://www.rmrmodels.com/

Good point about the chrome...did this kit ever have chrome in the past?  IIRC the one I built in the 90s was molded in black, no chrome. 

On 11/8/2017 at 8:10 AM, Rob Hall said:

did this kit ever have chrome in the past? 

No. I have some parts from a Pink Poison issue which were chrome plated, but not by Revell.  See attached image.

On 11/7/2017 at 9:12 AM, alexis said:

"The Jeep" pickup truck was based on the famous Jeep Wagoneer. It was initially referred to as the Jeep Gladiator and was in production from 1962 to 1988. The Jeep Honcho was a trim package offered on the base J-10 model. It was part of a series of special packages offered in the 1970s and 80s. Kit features multi-piece snowmobile, detailed V-8 engine, 4-wheel drive system, pickup bed accessories including gas cans, tool box, and rollover bar with lights, plus chrome plated parts, and soft black tires."

That sounds exactly like what happened. Hopefully the box doesn't state chrome-plated parts are included. I wouldn't exactly call the wiped Goodyear Tracker A-T tires "soft" either, like the Goodyear Wrangler tires earlier versions of this kit included.

WP_20171222_003.jpg

Edited by Casey

The latest tires I've gotten in the Revell kits have been softer than they were a couple years ago. So the Tires in this issue may be softer. But not 'soft' Revell still uses a fairly hard formula for their vinyl. By the way, in my opinion, the wagon wheels that Revell tooled up for this kit, when they re-worked in the '80's are really badly proportioned. Very wide wheel rims that would be about 2.5 inches wide in 1/1 scale. If you have spare sets of Monogram CJ-7 wheels, they look much better to me. Rims from any of the older Monogram truck kits, that use these tires, all have better looking rims, IMHO. Just a thought.

Yes, I've noticed that, too. I guess it's all relative, but when I think of "soft" rubber like tires, I think of those included in Tamiya and Fujimi kits, which will squish when squeezed between the thumb and index finger.

Edited by Casey

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2017 at 11:39 AM, Casey said:

Looks like this one's available now, at least on ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

I wonder if this one will find it's way to Hobby Lobby any time soon? I realize they will price it at $29.95 knowing most will use the 40% coupon to buy it, it sure would be nice to see this on their shelves.

On 12/22/2017 at 10:54 AM, Daddyfink said:

And the tires are hollow 

They appear to be the same ol' solid Monogram Goodyear Tracker AT tires with smoothed sidewalls, correct?

I also edited a few of my above posts to correct some misinformation about chrome plated parts. The Pink Poison version DID NOT include any chrome plated parts, but I added an image of the bumpers and grille from my kit in one of the corrected posts. Again, no parts were chromed in any of the Jeep J-series kits.

At any rate, nice to see the vintage late '70s/early '80s Wisconsin license plates getting some love on the decal sheet. :)

Edited by Casey