Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Ala Krate" Woody Street Rod

Darin Bastedo

This is project I've been wanting to do for a while. The Idea is to do a variation of the Barris Ala Kart, as a woody. The plan is to use only period parts but perhaps change up the engine and suspension to make it as I would have done it back in the day. What do you guys think? I figured I'd get an extra set of eyes on it. Do you like the proportions and the design? any suggestions?

22853085_1707450762661215_30906419536137

23130508_1707450759327882_68253435490603

I think it would be a great idea. For suggestions I would measure your door width. From the picture it might be just a little narrow. What I mean by that is if you look at a four door vehicle and a two door vehicle from the side. Usually the four door will have narrower doors and the two door will have a wider door to get into and out of the rear. In the picture your drawing looks like the front door on a four door car. Now it is only the way it looks but you can measure to be sure and adjust as you feel is right.   

Great idea. Wish I'd thought of it.  :D

The remarks about the door length are probably worth considering. Even though the door looks to be about the same length as what's on a '29 closed-cab pickup, it would be a bugger to get in and out of gracefully...especially with today's more volumetrically-abundant people.

The roof looks good to me, as do the rest of the proportions, but if you're going to build it up any higher (like the built-up roofs of yore), I'd shorten the framing just a tick so the overall height won't go any higher than your mockup has it.

Yes I agree with espo, the rear door size as it's a two door should go back nearly to the front edge of the rear wings/fenders. As said to enable the rear passengers room to get in.

I think you are right. I used this measurement so I could use the original front seat but I think I'm going to adapt a different seat and lengthen the doors.

"Volumetrically - Abundant people"  I just can't stop laughing. I think your idea to stay with the original roof height would be best. Like you said the proportions start getting out of hand and then the roof looks like you chopped it, unless that's what you want for the appearance.  

• 3 weeks later...