Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose Ford FD100 Pickup Is Completed

Yes, I have.  The engine sits correctly in its mounts and there is no fan on the pulleys.  There is an electric fan mounted on the radiator and the engine sits fairy close to the radiator.  If I remember correctly for the actually build on Overhaulin', space in the engine bay was at a premium due to the engine size and placement.

Yes, I have.  The engine sits correctly in its mounts and there is no fan on the pulleys.  There is an electric fan mounted on the radiator and the engine sits fairy close to the radiator.  If I remember correctly for the actually build on Overhaulin', space in the engine bay was at a premium due to the engine size and placement

Thanks for the info on yours. Mine are tight to each other and it doesnt seem possible to mis-mount the the engine. so I'll have a look at the fitment of how I attached the pulley and belts to the block.  

Edited by djflyer

Thanks for the info on yours. Mine are tight to each other and it doesnt seem possible to mis-mount the the engine. so I'll have a look at the fitment of how I attached the pulley and belts to the block.  

On the engine sides are two small "blades" about 3/8ths inch back from the front of the engine block and those sit in a groove on the chassis.  Those are your front engine mounts.  The transmission mount should sit on the transmission mount slot.

FD100 34.JPG

FD100 35.JPG

FD100 36.JPG

I got the wheels painted with Tamiya TS-42 Light Gun Metal and trimmed with rim edge with my Molotow Liquid Chrome Pen.  I painted the side panels and dash with Tamiya TS-48 German Grey.  Not shown is the seat which was painted with the same paint.  The exhaust and the radiator where painted with Model Master Aluminium Plate Metalizer and then coated with Testors Semi Gloss Clear.

More to come...

FD100 31.JPG

FD100 32.JPG

FD100 33.JPG

I applied the decals to the air cleaner and valve covers this morning.  I'll let these dry awhile, then spray some gloss clear over them.  I applied some decals to the engine and installed the MAD distributor.  Once the valve covers are on, I'll run the wires to the heads.  The wheels and disc brakes are all glued on so this FD100 is not going to roll off the table and hit the floor.  I did a mockup to check the stance and I like it!

More to come...

FD100 40.JPG

FD100 41.JPG

Fd100 42.JPG

Thank you Mike!  I need to get to wet-sanding the body, finishing the engine, and the rest of the kit.  Any issues I have had with this kit has been mostly of my doing like body work.  I'm hoping to be able to get this build to 90-95% done this week.

I wet-sanded the body to get rid of the trash and unevenness in the paint.  My goal was to prep the body for another coat of paint.  The 427 R Roush engine is now wired and installed in the chassis.  And, the interior is complete.

More to come...

FD100 43.JPG

FD100 44.JPG

FD100 45.JPG

Thank you David and Jeremy!

Jeremy, I appreciate the kind words, but I consider myself a hack like anybody else!  I'm just trying to build a better model car!  But, if what I do and how I do it inspires you to purchase and build a specific model car or truck, then I do thank you and I hope that your build is just as good as mine or even better!

I spent a lot of time discussing my paint issues with some members of my model club Saturday at our meeting.  I have come to the conclusion that the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer has had a formula change and it is not a good as it use to be.  The hot hobby Testors One Coat Lacquer had mixed with the Tamiya primer instead of lying on top of it like it should.  I was advised to get some DupliColor primer and use that instead.  Since I have go out and run some errands today, I'll stop by the auto parts store and pick up some DupliColor primer.

I primered the Foose Ford with the DupliColor Primer and does this primer spray on nice!  Thin coats and very controllable.  Far cheaper than a can of Tamiya primer when you compare size and total cost.  Let's see what happens when I paint over it.  I found a few spots that need extra attention on the passenger side rear fender.

More to come...

FD100 49.JPG

FD100 50.JPG

FD100 51.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have waited long enough and now I just had to get to finishing this Foose Ford.  Another three coats of Testors De Ja Blue and no primer bleed-through!  The color laid down nice!  I think I have found a new primer.

More to come...

FD100 52.JPG

FD100 53.JPG

FD100 54.JPG

I've been using Duplicolor primers almost exclusively for quite a while now...they come in multiple colors (white, light grey, dark grey and 'hot rod' black) and I've never had an issue with anything I've sprayed over them including Tamiya, Testors One-Coat, regular Testors laquer or enamel and, of course, Duplicolor paints.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spent part of my day wet sanding and polishing the Foose Ford.  I decided to add some Testors Wet Look Clear to the interior bottom, the bed, and the running boards.  Now it's on to final assembly!

More to come...

FD100 58.JPG

FD100 59.JPG

FD100 60.JPG