Model Cars Magazine Forum

1992 Ford Flareside Gulf tribute

In short form my grandmother tricked me into picking one of these exact kits for myself for Christmas when I was just 7 years old. It was only my 3rd model kit, and the 2 ahead of it were 1/32 scale snaps. It never got close to complete and was lost somewhere in time. The only thing I truly remember was wanting it to be light blue.

Ao thanks to mk11 I got a 2nd chance with it and since I started I can't even think about another project. This one has me hooked hard. The plan is a clean lowered street truck in light blue like originally intended, but this time I want to add a little orange here and there for a Gulf racing feel. 

I should have started the picture taking earlier to show the insane amount of work to get this thing lowered without it looking like a hacked together piece of plastic. I already got the thing lowered where I want and will try my best to explain what I did with the pictures I have20171104_214446.thumb.jpg.2bdbf0a82bc8d1

I started with the I beams by trimming a couple coil lengths off the springs.then a slight bend in the beam about 3/4 of the way away from the springs so the chassis didn't hit them. Then filed the wheel pin down a little smaller and taking a little material away from the I beam where the wheel meets up so the wheels I have planned would tuck inside the wheel well just right. Then drilled a few holes to give it the race look I'm going for. The red ink was just for referencing which one was for the right side20171104_213912.thumb.jpg.cc110dcc3e9b2dthe sides were the hardest part to get right. I had to be very careful so the front tires sat centered in the wheel wells. I filed off the tabs that joined them into the I beams and narrowed the top of the same area as well as cut small notches on both beams so it sat together correctly. I also cut off the torsion bar at the rear end of it. Shortened it a bit and glued it back on. Before that last step the wheels sat too far forward. The shocks were cut to match the springs then bent inward slightly. Then I continued to drill a couple spots out to get that race look20171104_213935.thumb.jpg.f51ceedc48c9d5the only thing I did suspension related to the front of the chassis was file the spots where the bushings from the torsion bars sat in the frame a little bit deeper20171104_214007.thumb.jpg.497e59f929f0c8

Edited by StockBoresMe

Heres a couple shots of the suspension in place. I couldn't be happier with the turnout. The holes I drilled make it look just how I wanted and everything fits right where it should20171104_230910.thumb.jpg.c4ca596967ea2d20171104_230928.thumb.jpg.24a236588f7536the rear end was a bit simpler to drop. The only downside was the wheels sat too far forward. Seems to be this truck wanting them that way. But we can't allow that. I trimmed the blocks where the leafs bolt in a considerable decent amount and notched the frame.20171104_213947.thumb.jpg.dd9a83f2250888 I didnt want the rear dropped as much as the front to continue the race look. After I got it where i wanted I put some putty in the holes filing it down had made. As well as a couple holes for things I wouldn't use from the kit. Like the big forward gas tank and exhaust alignment holes. I haven't filled the holes for the spare tire rack. I might just end up putting a spare under it for a little extra detail. After all its not an actual race truck. It's just a racing tribute.... More importantly its just plastic!

I cut the axle at both ends to be just a bit narrower than the chassis. Because the axle is hollow I don't have to modify the rear rims which is awesome because thats less work! The kit wheels attach directly over the entire axle and the wheels I will be putting on it are metal rod style. The alignment pins on leafs got ground off so I could slide it back to counter the trucks nature to have them sit too far forward. Once I got the axle right where I wanted I glued the shocks onto the axle so I had some small form of alignment when I got to assemble it all. As you can see the shock brackets aren't perfectly aligned with the slots on the axle but it worked out fine otherwise20171104_232137.thumb.jpg.deb25a5ae61fab20171104_232129.thumb.jpg.9cad321acf04df

Although I doubt it will ever be seen I cleaned up the inside of the wheel well on the drivers front. I started by gluing in some scrap styrene so when I cut the stuff off the inner well it would have some material inside the holes it would leave behind. Some before and after shots20171104_214007.thumb.jpg.c8287a3ba7694220171104_214158.thumb.jpg.414be9ead1fc5f20171106_210432.thumb.jpg.9141b662c85426

Edited by StockBoresMe

Now onto the inner wheel wells. I cut off and sanded all the clutter smooth then filled in the backside of the frames molding then shot a light coat of primer to see where I'm at. Not too bad so far but I still have some body work to do20171104_214018.thumb.jpg.129387dfc9a12220171106_210403.thumb.jpg.3852334265a891I also got impatient and started painting somsome things. Less than a handful of parts will be this orange. The truck itself will be light blue to go with the gulf paint scheme. The color seems off because im shooting from a phone.20171106_210446.thumb.jpg.a5ebc01c998e33

^ I know the feeling.  I've made some wheels, seats and other things for people then see the way they turned out and wish I would've kept the Masters.  Lol

As for the build at hand.  I am in love with this truck.  Always have been and always will be.  You're doing a fantastic job and it looks great so far!

Thank you for the support guys! I really didn't see it coming but this truck hit me in the feels more than I expected and now I want another one... Or 2.....or 16. I don't recall ever having this much fun with a build. Maybe its the sentimental meaning. But something inside me fell in love with this kit and there will be more of them built in the future