Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wen Mac 1967 Mustang Promo Conversion

cpspoogie

Here’s an old promo (originally motorized) that I’m converting to a static display for a buddy.  His first high school car.  Sure I could have done one of the 1/25 kits, but I had the Wen Mac body and interior so I decided to go for it.  I scratch built the chassis, which is really not meant to be seen but just something to support the axles.  Made from sheet styrene and rods.  This car will also have scratch built JEGS yellow traction bars and will be red with red interior, as his was.  Scratch built much of the interior detail, as the Wen MAC is even less detailed as a standard scale model interior.  The only things left to do are  scratch build the headlights, side mirrors and add white letters on the tires.

99F66059-11C2-4FD2-AAA3-0E2A6587E154.jpeg

9A835A26-596F-4FEB-B3A7-469723F94F40.jpeg

F0D0DB80-46BB-4B4E-A485-F7CE9E0FDD42.jpeg

BB9A1A86-4018-439D-8E7F-D7FA429D8AE1.jpeg

BEE7226D-1FA7-4085-9481-26733FF55D50.jpeg

82C42FB6-C770-47E3-A62E-2B14D47ADB94.jpeg

Edited by cpspoogie
Update

Thank you Chris, that's an interesting Mustang build and I shall watch your chassis build closely because I need to build a very similar chassis for a 1:24 scale Morris Minor Traveller here in UK.

Like yours, the Morris chassis doesn't need to be seen, so it is purely to mount the axles really.

David

101_0416.JPG

Thank you Chris, that's an interesting Mustang build and I shall watch your chassis build closely because I need to build a very similar chassis for a 1:24 scale Morris Minor Traveller here in UK.

Like yours, the Morris chassis doesn't need to be seen, so it is purely to mount the axles really.

David

101_0416.JPG

David this will be really cool and fun for you, trust me!  I suggest studying some Google images of real undercarriages then go from there with sheet and stock styrene from the hobby store.  You can get tubes, rectangular tubing, I beams, all kinds of stuff.  Really a lot of fun and satisfying.  I’ll be watching!

interresting to follow your realisation ... I have to finish my own emberglo '66 GT  ... you can see my unfinished Wen Mac model (with 4 promo 1/25 AMT models) on the dashboard of my "scale1" emberglo '66 GT ...

G_DSC_5364 (2).jpg

Edited by 1500gp

I believe it's 1/12, or something darn close to it.

I have one of these in almost original condition. I'm missing one of the wheel knock-off nuts, but otherwise I think it's all there. I think it would even still run (and the lights light up!) if I put a couple batteries in it.

What scale is it? You never mentioned!

It's kinda cool though!!

David S.

I honestly don’t know.  I’d say not standard like maybe 1/11 because this was considered a toy and not a model.  I know 1/11 doesn’t exist, but that’s as close as I can figure because it’s not standard.  The wheels and tires I’m using are from those diecast Muscle Machines cars with the exaggerated blown engines.  They say those are 1/18 but the tires and wheels aren’t.   They work well on these Wen MAC bodies. 

I believe it's 1/12, or something darn close to it.

I have one of these in almost original condition. I'm missing one of the wheel knock-off nuts, but otherwise I think it's all there. I think it would even still run (and the lights light up!) if I put a couple batteries in it.

I have repaired several so I can help if you need it.  Most times a cleanup of the battery leads and manual turning of the motor to free up years of gunk is all it takes.  Bulb is a standard flashlight battery. 

I honestly don’t know.  I’d say not standard like maybe 1/11 because this was considered a toy and not a model.  I know 1/11 doesn’t exist, but that’s as close as I can figure because it’s not standard.  The wheels and tires I’m using are from those diecast Muscle Machines cars with the exaggerated blown engines.  They say those are 1/18 but the tires and wheels aren’t.   They work well on these Wen MAC bodies. 

I just measured the wheelbase of mine at 9 3/8". I believe the Mustang wheelbase is 108", which would put the scale at @ 1/11.5. Interesting. 

I think it'll look okay sitting on the shelf with the Monogram 1/12 '69 Camaro and '67 Corvette. B)

I just measured the wheelbase of mine at 9 3/8". I believe the Mustang wheelbase is 108", which would put the scale at @ 1/11.5. Interesting. 

I think it'll look okay sitting on the shelf with the Monogram 1/12 '69 Camaro and '67 Corvette. B)

absolutely.  I knew it was off-scale, because it’s technically a toy and not a scale model.   Seemed like a cool way to turn it into a scale model though, and it’s so fun to scratch build the parts to make it hat way.  And since it was a toy, the detail in the interior is minimal.  I just made side panels and a rear window deck tonight.