Model Cars Magazine Forum

Memorial build #1, Chaparral 2D Daytona

aurfalien

Hi,

I feel comfortable enough starting on Eds Monogram Chaparral 2 Coupe kit which was a 2D Daytona.

I plan to shoot the chassis in Alclad Aluminum and the body in a bright shiny white.

To me Ed was an angel of sorts so I will make it as bright a white as possible and ideas on this are welcome as I'm unsure how to achieve a truly bright white.

I test fit a carb stack and distributor and cut out areas for a brass mesh.

The tires are awesome HRM GT40 and I'm using the Plamoz stuff for seat covers.

The wheels are from one of my failed Chappy projects.

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

Hi,

I filled in some sink marks/irregularities and darkened the panel lines.

I'll forgo grey primer and go directly with the white primer as I've one of those lighted magnified dork head bands which work amazingly well.  It help helps me catch a lot of stuff.

PS BTW the Monogram Chappy has a very very nicely molded body.  Sure a decent amount of clean up is needed but hey its an old kit.  But man, what a sexy beast Chaparrals were and Monogram did a great job with there Daytona version.  The wheels/tirws, in typical fashion of domestic kits, are horrid but that's easy to fix. 

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

Edited by aurfalien

Great work so far. The stacks look amazing are they from the kit or aftermarket? 

Just one suggestion if I may- I strongly recommended that you give the body a coat of grey primer before the white primer. The grey compound filled-in areas will likely show up through a white paint coat if only white primer is used.

Great work so far. The stacks look amazing are they from the kit or aftermarket? 

Just one suggestion if I may- I strongly recommended that you give the body a coat of grey primer before the white primer. The grey compound filled-in areas will likely show up through a white paint coat if only white primer is used.

Hi,

Good idea, I will go grey first then.

I built up inner stacks/venturies so that the stack from ScaleProdution will fit straight and true.  The top of the engine is from a failed Fujimi Chaparral project.

Thanks again for the nudge in the right direction.

* Randy Ditton@Model Builders Warehouse carries ScaleProduction warez so I'd order the stacks from him.

Hi,

Been a bizzy and productive veeekend!

I had to strip the chassis as I switched to lacquer which has a way diff work flow then acrylic, also redid the rivet decals a bit better.

I'll paint the chassis same color as the tub.

The body is pretty much final, giving it a few days to cure before deciding on additional coats.  However I'm thinking 2-3 more coats.

I sanded off the wiper from the windshield and am waiting for a PE set to arrive, also applied silver rivet decals around the side windows.

IMG_2781.JPG

IMG_2782.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

Edited by aurfalien

The Chaparral 2D may have been the most modified racecar over one season ever. It still is owned by Jim Hall in the final configuration that it raced and won in Europe. Do a Google image search for Chaparral 2D Daytona and lots of photos of all configurations will come up.

I did a conversion to replicate the final configuration which I took to the Monterey Historics the year Jim Hall and the Chaparrals were being honored. I was pleased to have Jim Hall autograph the bottom of my model. Before all the Chaparrals were set up for display I managed to get this photo of my model and the real 2D.

Model with real car

Hi,

Got the engine all wired up etc...

I'm going to get some fine tip gold pen to finish up the tires as the decals were not large enough to fit.

I had to strip the chassis as the top coat showed sink holes that I coudn't see via primer.  So I sanded and sanded and have some filler/primer on there now.  I coated with Future to see if a shiny surface would reveal flaws as a flat surface seems to hide them.

Even though the body looks pretty good, I'm waiting to apply another top coat however I've ordered the Donn Yost DVD and will wait until it shows.  I've screwed up far too many builds and need some help so I'm excited about the DVD.

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

Edited by aurfalien

Hi and thank you sir.

This build has taught me the deep value of surface prep.

As I came to find out that my paint woes with regards to the chassis and Alclad were due to an orange peeled surface of the styrene.  My young eye so to speak did not catch this at first, or second, or third etc...

On 11/27/2017 at 3:12 AM, vintagercr said:

Nice detail

On 11/27/2017 at 7:29 AM, Kemszi said:

Looks good!

15 hours ago, Randy D said:

Hi Brian,

The build is looking great so far my friend!!!

Chassis and body are sweeeeet and I love the motor top plate.

Are those Indy Cal decals on the tires?

Randy

Hi and thank you sirs.

They are indeed Indaycals which are superb.