Model Cars Magazine Forum

Easy Foiling Tip!

I've found a way to get perfectly straight trim on bodies foiled. I simply eye-ball how wide a piece of foil I need, use a metal straight edge to cut the foil while it's still on the sheet, being sure to make the piece long enough to handle, then just place on the body and burnish down....... That's how I did most of the trim on this car........

48ford_complete_003.thumb.JPG.b3f6b3aa87

You still have to cut to length, but that's easy enough...... Anyways, hope someone finds this helpful!

Not a tip really, but a good kit to practice on is the Revell 76 Torino.  Doing one now and it is a great kit for learning to foil.  I just about always cut straight strips out of the sheet.  Real window surrounds are usually multi pieces anyway, so doing the sides, top and bottom separately save foil.  I even do the same with the fender openings.  A piece across top and one down each side.  I don't do contests and saving foil is more important than having it in one piece.  Plus it makes it easier to deal with.  I am not precise enough to cut the foil to proper width and apply.  One thing I am finding is that the angle of knife to make cut makes a huge difference in the finished appearance.  Just have to experiment with that to find the angle that works on each piece.  Photos show the multi piece approach.  The side window surrounds are 3 pieces.  Fenders, - 3 piece, rear window 4 piece.  For small emblems, cover the whole thing, cut as close to overall shape as possible.   then wash some Detailer fluid over it.  Will add a little depth tot he whole thing.  I don;t have a pic of that right now.  

IMG_20171104_112907480_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171105_111050719_HDR.jpg