Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can you fuse two cars together?

I'm a little late to the party, but certainly yes!.........I'm a big believer in fusing cars together if need be!

My (much seen now) '59 Chevy, with a '60 roof to give it a more accurate appearance...........

P7084360

Removed the (IMO) incorrect '59 roof...

Pc234934

I replaced it with the more accurate roof from the '60 which to my eyes has a more accurate windshield shape header, as well as a more correct upper rear window shape.

And of course, my current project------this Shelby Green Hornet which I used the roof, trunk, and the upper part of the rear quarters of the '66 Mustang, onto the lower body of the '68 Shelby Mustang to get the correct two door hardtop shape. Something that for whatever reason, has never been modeled for the '67-'68 Mustangs.

P9055604.jpg
P9055605.jpg
P9055606.jpg
photo79.JPG

Sometimes fusing or "kitbashing" two bodies together is the only way to get the body style, custom, or concept you're after. ;)

I'm a little late to the party, but certainly yes!.........I'm a big believer in fusing cars together if need be!

My (much seen now) '59 Chevy, with a '60 roof to give it a more accurate appearance...........

Bill, I mean, Bill, have you ever measured the Revellogram '60 roof/glass for fit on any of the old AMT bodies? I'm wondering if it would work on a '59 Pontiac.

First off, I'm wondering why you want to do such a thing. 

Second, specifically what two kits are you thinking of using? Tell us that and we can probably tell you if it will work and how easy it will be. 

Just wondering if a 67 amt and 68 amt could switch out the front fenders. Trying to find shots of the kits side by side to see if the fronts are the same, line wise. If they are the same, then I'll look into working on the doors.   I would like to also cut the doors, and make them open and close.  I think on the doors that might be to much if the front is changed up.  Learning as go on trying new things. 

Just wondering if a 67 amt and 68 amt could switch out the front fenders. Trying to find shots of the kits side by side to see if the fronts are the same, line wise. If they are the same, then I'll look into working on the doors.   I would like to also cut the doors, and make them open and close.  I think on the doors that might be to much if the front is changed up.  Learning as go on trying new things. 

If it were me, I'd try to find junker bodies of the ones you're looking for and experiment on those. Kits are expensive enough as it is without hacking up the bodies for something that you're not totally familiar with. You can root around on the 'Bay to find them, or if they're are any local shows coming up that you know about, there are bound to be vendors that are selling junk bodies of those. In the case of my Green Hornet build, that was a junker '66 Mustang I got off of eBay as I wanted just a portion of the upper half. I have an entire '66 Mustang kit that I didn't want to hack up just for the roof.

There may even be folks right here on the board that may want to get rid of some junker bodies.

As far as what to use------whatever's available. Exacto blade, Dremel Moto-tool, thread, whatever's needed to get the job done. I don't use any kind of fancy measuring instruments per se (architects dividers maybe), but go mostly on what "looks right" to me. Others I'm sure will have some more specific things they use to cut apart  plastic bodies.

Those bodies are exactly the same, differing only in minor emblem trim and such. I'm still trying to figure out why you want/need to switch the fenders. Is it that you have one body with a messed up front and one with a messed up rear, or what?

Sometimes ya' gotta do whatcha gotta do. Especially when so many Midyear AMT Coupes have melted roofs where the kid piled the glue on the window connectors.

This is an AMT 1965 Fuelie. Last year for mechanical Fuel Injection on a Corvette. The original fender got stepped on, bent, cracked, and wouldn't glue back together straight.

That patched tire burn under the door handle was filled with scrap from an MPC 1966 Stingray Coupe. So far, there have been no signs of rejection at the transplant site.

f1xm9Gp.jpg3NfZQow.jpg

Sometimes ya' gotta do whatcha gotta do. Especially when so many Midyear AMT Coupes have melted roofs where the kid piled the glue on the window connectors.

I feel your pain. Last year I got a VERY nice AMT '67 coupe that's perfect except for a glue-melted roof. If it were the only one I had, I'd just fix it, but I have a couple better '67 Coupe bodies on hand, so I'm thinking very seriously of just whacking the roof off and replacing it with the panel-van top from a '67 Roadster glue bomb. I was gonna rebuild the '67 Roadster "van" but when I pried the top off of it, the rest of the body was SO nice underneath that I really hate to cut out the deck area for the proper fitment of the van-top.

And so it goes....

perfect except for a glue-melted roof.

i looked at fixing some melted Midyear roofs with roofs from 1963 (ex-1967) donors but decided there was no workable way to do it with any precision and without having to finesse a couple big seams somewhere near the back window.. So then i started cutting quarter panels off the ones with melted roofs to save the ones with good roofs but quarter panels hacked up for slicks. As long as i can cut to landmarks on the body it's a worthwhile endeavor. Seems like the Corvette annuals used the same body mold for Coupe & Roadster with only a swap in mold inserts to change the area from windshield header to taillight panel so Coupe quarters fit Roadsters & visa versa. As it turned out, every example with a good roof got fixed with 1 or 2 good quarters. There were enough good interiors without seat belts and other junk welded in to finish the fixed bodies. So then i just stopped buying them to save myself from fixing any more.:P

I only have one question. What would be worthy enough to be hauled by this?

:D   The initial inspiration when I started working on the thing was the '60s teen movies where the coolest kid had the coolest vehicle to haul his race-car. Think Frankie Avalon in Fireball 500. I wanted to do something contemporary (in an alternate universe where kids still like drag racing, surfing, girls in bikinis, etc.) completely over-the-top, and where the race-car would be in an enclosed trailer that doubled as a swanky bachelor pad at the race track, and the tow-vehicle was a head-turning tuna-trawler in its own right.  B)

If it were me, I'd try to find junker bodies of the ones you're looking for and experiment on those. Kits are expensive enough as it is without hacking up the bodies for something that you're not totally familiar with. You can root around on the 'Bay to find them, or if they're are any local shows coming up that you know about, there are bound to be vendors that are selling junk bodies of those. In the case of my Green Hornet build, that was a junker '66 Mustang I got off of eBay as I wanted just a portion of the upper half. I have an entire '66 Mustang kit that I didn't want to hack up just for the roof.

There may even be folks right here on the board that may want to get rid of some junker bodies.

As far as what to use------whatever's available. Exacto blade, Dremel Moto-tool, thread, whatever's needed to get the job done. I don't use any kind of fancy measuring instruments per se (architects dividers maybe), but go mostly on what "looks right" to me. Others I'm sure will have some more specific things they use to cut apart  plastic bodies.

That's what I'm looking for is yard lots with decent bodys.  I tend to stay away from ones with busted bodies, or really messed up paint work.   So back to surfing ebay for decent parts/car lots.  I also noticed on the older models the body's seem more thinner than the newer models out.  I really don't like how on my camaro kit they have printed text on the inside of the roof.   

Some might say I was a bit confused....

Not possible. ... I once built a Porsche 9/57 - 959 with 57 Chev nose/tail and fins!

Sez Andy, the guy who confuses multi-cylinder engines into cars where sometimes 4 is enough. Gotta find pics of your 9/57 ... But I know you also had some other confusion with aero bits, a Porsche whaletail and a Valiant.

AndyValiant.thumb.jpg.f622f13be82eecc21e

:D   The initial inspiration when I started working on the thing was the '60s teen movies where the coolest kid had the coolest vehicle to haul his race-car. Think Frankie Avalon in Fireball 500. I wanted to do something contemporary (in an alternate universe where kids still like drag racing, surfing, girls in bikinis, etc.) completely over-the-top, and where the race-car would be in an enclosed trailer that doubled as a swanky bachelor pad at the race track, and the tow-vehicle was a head-turning tuna-trawler in its own right.  B)

Did you ever finish this one?