Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can you fuse two cars together?

What kind of glue are you using to bond your customs together?   Is there any special fillers I should look into?  I have used in the past for fillers stuff like jb water weld.   I am looking into Tamiya Quick Dry Epoxy Putty and the Tamiya glues.  Only thing I don't like on the tamiya stuff is I can find some glue at hobby lobby, and riders, but I have to buy the rest online. 

Those bodies are exactly the same, differing only in minor emblem trim and such. I'm still trying to figure out why you want/need to switch the fenders. Is it that you have one body with a messed up front and one with a messed up rear, or what?

The kits are pretty much the same in body lines on the front. Well then no need to cut one up then. I was planning on shaving off the emblems, side lights,  making the taillights like the 67.  I just didn't know if the 67 and 68 amt bodies where the same molds.   Then I'll focus on looking into learning how to make the doors open and close on the kit now.   I will look into maybe doing a kitbash on a 73 nova, and seeing if I can turn one into a hatchbatch.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some of these conversions in mind.  One I thought to be really unique and "secret" I have already seen on this forum - building a Cougar fastback.  However that being said here is one I have in progress, not a lot of body conversion, just enough to make it different.  Late model Charger front end molded to a '57 300 C.

Chrysler 300C Custom 003.JPG

Chrysler 300C Custom 010.JPG

Mix 1 part 1/25 scale Revell '54 Chevy Sedan Delivery body, 1 part 1/24 scale Franklin Mint '54 Chevy Belair convertible diecast front clip (have it cast in resin), and 1 part 1/25 scale Revell '50 Olds Coupe windshield opening/cowl/back half of hood. All in an attempt to have a more accurate '54 Chevy Sedan Delivery.

54del 026

Dumb question that rolled into my mind.... Can you take a 68 camaro model cut off the front, do the same with a 67 camaro.  Then fuse the 68's front onto the 67's body? Would the fused car fit onto the frame?    I have never cut up a model and just wondered in theory.  I mean it would be frankensteining two cars together.    I was told on a forum that the 67, 68, and 69 camaros were pretty the same body, with a few details added to them.   Just something I was wondering about, and can it be done?

Sure....I knew a guy who had a body shop, and he used to buy M-B and BMW wrecks from Germany and could make one car from two wrecks, this was in pre-airbag days.

Edited by Luc Janssens

Sure....I knew a guy who had a body shop, and he used to buy M-B and BMW wrecks from Germany and could make one car from two wrecks, this was in pre-airbag days.

Yeah...we had some hackers here as well who'd do that sort of thing.

It takes a LOT of care to splice two unibody car clips together, primarily because the rockers are essentially tubes-within-tubes, and it's difficult to get inside the outer skins to connect the inner ones. You have to understand and respect the structure as-designed, and most body shops just don't.

What you'll usually see is slabs of 1/8" plate "welded" over the seams to "reinforce" them. Yeah...right.

There was a lot of this kind of "rebuilding" of late-model totals going on until one of them broke in half...in Buckhead, the ritziest part of town...and the media storm and lawsuits brought the practice to an end.