Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can you fuse two cars together?

Dumb question that rolled into my mind.... Can you take a 68 camaro model cut off the front, do the same with a 67 camaro.  Then fuse the 68's front onto the 67's body? Would the fused car fit onto the frame?    I have never cut up a model and just wondered in theory.  I mean it would be frankensteining two cars together.    I was told on a forum that the 67, 68, and 69 camaros were pretty the same body, with a few details added to them.   Just something I was wondering about, and can it be done?

Yes.

In the real world, the '67 and '68 are almost identical cars, with only minor differences. The major body parts from one bolt on to the other. The '69 is very similar (especially under the skin) but the parts don't actually interchange with the '67-'68.

In the model world, IF your '67 and '68 are made in the same scale, and if they're made by the same company (or even two different companies who got their measuring and scaling right) the parts will swap easily.

NOTE: Some of us routinely "fuse" parts from several different models that were never intended to work together...

Related image

Image result for ace-garageguy dieselpunk

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

You should remember the old carpenters rule. Measure twice and cut once. It can be done but while the 1:1 cars you mention can be joined fairly easily it just doesn't always work that way in plastic. I did a somewhat similar conversion with a Revell '66 El Camino kit and used the front end of a '67 Chevelle SS. While both kits are from Revell they are not 100 % the same in and around the firewall and fenders. It got done but only after some fabrication.   

Yessir, it can be done:

100_1078-vi.jpg100_1079-vi.jpg100_1080-vi.jpg100_1082-vi.jpg

This is an AMT '62 Impala convertible body, converted with an AMT '65 ElCamino bed, with a Monogram '58 Thunderbird roof reworked to fit. 

Careful planning, and checking, and planning again, and then test, test, test, before doing a conversion. The results will be more pleasing that way!

Can you? Sure! You can do anything you can think of. Anything customizers do to 1:1 cars can be done to models.  But (just like it does with the 1:1 customizers) it takes knowledge and practice to get good at it.

Edited by peteski

Yessir, it can be done:

100_1078-vi.jpg100_1079-vi.jpg100_1080-vi.jpg100_1082-vi.jpg

This is an AMT '62 Impala convertible body, converted with an AMT '65 ElCamino bed, with a Monogram '58 Thunderbird roof reworked to fit. 

Careful planning, and checking, and planning again, and then test, test, test, before doing a conversion. The results will be more pleasing that way!

Beautiful! Great job

First off, I'm wondering why you want to do such a thing. 

Second, specifically what two kits are you thinking of using? Tell us that and we can probably tell you if it will work and how easy it will be. 

That was my first thought.

Then i remembered the '55- '56 Chevy i saw in college. Had me going for a few days. Walking to class i was looking at a nice '55 Chevy. Coming home i saw a very similar '56. then one day it dawned on me. "Hey! That's the same car". '55 in front and "56 in back. Or was it the other way around :blink:?

That was my first thought.

Then i remembered the '55- '56 Chevy i saw in college. Had me going for a few days. Walking to class i was looking at a nice '55 Chevy. Coming home i saw a very similar '56. then one day it dawned on me. "Hey! That's the same car". '55 in front and "56 in back. Or was it the other way around :blink:?

But the thing is, you can model  a first-gen Camaro with a "'68" front end and a "'67" rear end, or vice-versa, or any combination thereof, without having to "fuse" two bodies.

I saved this '61 Continental, whose quarter panels had been hacked down, by splitting it between the doors and at the rockers and adding a '62 rear half. Oddly the backside of the plastic varied in thickness but the outside matched:

P1110441.thumb.JPG.a78fa3f4428108f02057e

P1110438.thumb.JPG.2138084354a94f2da36f4

By going slowly with the trimming and test-fitting about a hundred times, it went together with no filler needed.