Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Channeled Nailhead Roadster UPDATED 11/7/18

Dennis Lacy

16 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Dennis.....proportions and stance are everything with hot rods, and you've superbly nailed "everything" here, big time! 

What are you thinking about for a color scheme?   TIM

Thanks, Tim! Always nice to hear from you on my projects.

I've been thinking a lot about color and I think I've got it. Body, firewall and grill shell will be Tamiya Nato Brown with a glossy clear, black chassis and engine with a sprinkling of metal tones and chrome, Tamiya Racing White wheels. 

• 10 months later...

UPDATE!

I haven't been on top of updating my projects. This one has had the last of the needed fab work completed and has had some of its pieces painted. 

I ended up replacing the rear wheels and tires with ones from the newer Revell Model A kits to go with the fronts. I changed the body to the one from the Rat Roaster kit because I like the shape of it better and it comes with an appropriately chopped windshield. I made flat wheel wheels to fit it and also made a floor panel for the rearmost part of the frame where the gas tank was removed. Got the final engine and suspension details sorted out like the lower radiator hose and generator. I also built all of the interior using a '40 Ford dash & steering wheel and the side panels and seat from a Monogram '30 Touring kit.

Here's some final mock up pictures before starting paint.

DSCN6157-vi.jpg

DSCN6158-vi.jpg

DSCN6159-vi.jpg

DSCN6160-vi.jpg

DSCN6161-vi.jpg

DSCN6162-vi.jpg

DSCN6163-vi.jpg

DSCN6172-vi.jpg

DSCN6173-vi.jpg

DSCN6174-vi.jpg

B)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Been working on getting things painted the last few weeks. At this point everything is done for the chassis, engine and interior with the body in its first round of white primer. I sat down this afternoon and assembled the entire chassis and engine. Thankfully, everything went together without any drama. I need to do a few touch ups and still need to run fuel lines to the carbs. 

Frame is Tamiya black but I very tediously masked the floor so it would stay in gray primer. The engine is Tamiya "Light Gunmetal". The wheels, dashboard and steering wheel are Tamiya "Racing White". The upholstery is Tamiya "Light Earth". 

All that's left now is to get the body in paint and then on to final assembly. Close! 

B)

DSCN7596-vi.jpg

DSCN7598-vi.jpg

DSCN7605-vi.jpg

DSCN7606-vi.jpg

DSCN7609-vi.jpg

DSCN7608-vi.jpg

DSCN7613-vi.jpg

DSCN7620-vi.jpg

DSCN7622-vi.jpg

DSCN7593-vi.jpg

DSCN7599-vi.jpg

DSCN7601-vi.jpg

DSCN7624-vi.jpg

Edited by Dennis Lacy

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last couple of days I managed to get the body, grill shell and headlights in final paint (Tamiya Racing White) and clear (also, Tamiya.)

Couldn't resist setting the body on the chassis for a look!

DSCN7658-vi.jpg

DSCN7659-vi.jpg

DSCN7660-vi.jpg

DSCN7655-vi.jpg

Got a couple of small details to finalize and polish the paint then final assembly can happen.

On the home stretch now!