Model Cars Magazine Forum

76 Torino tribute to mom. Lame car, great kit

randyc

So my latest project is the Revell 76 Torino.  A tribute to my mom's 72.  Hers was the base, with the awful grille.  It did have a 351W and A/C.  Not sure it had anything else.  Light blue with metallic blue interior.  So this is a box stock build.  And btw, this is so far the EASIEST kit ever for foiling.  If you need to learn or practice, this is the kit.  A lot of easy lines, even eaiser if you scribe them a couple times.  And some slightly more challenging - the fender openings got pretty buried under my paint.  And the drip rail modlings.  Car basically falls together if you shake the box.  I did use the S&H wheel backs to ge the wheels set farther out in the openings.  track seems too narrow with the backs provided for this kit.  

Only things I've done are to clean up the slight flash on the parts and body.  I also scribed the openings a bit deeper.  Will wash them with some Detailer later.  Probably finish it next week.  

This should have been a 2 in 1 all the way from beginning.  Would love a wagon version or some other version (Ranchero?) off the basic tooling.  Seems like this platform was the underpiinings of a lot of cars from that era.  Go buy one so Revell will sell a bunch and make more versions.  LeMans car anyone?  Basically a NASCAR racer.  Yes that would take a different chassis and could be done easily enough.  

IMG_20171104_115014996.jpg

IMG_20171104_115021189.jpg

IMG_20171105_111126946.jpg

IMG_20171029_105208928.jpg

IMG_20171029_105221698.jpg

IMG_20171105_111058449.jpg

Edited by randyc

I built the S&H version and really enjoyed the kit. I have WAYYYY too many unbuilt kits to justify adding the stock version to my collection, but I've been tempted. 

I get what you're saying there.   I had too many on hand to do the S&H even though I was pretty loyal to the tV show.  BUt this one was probably as close as I'll ever get to a stock 72, even though it is quite different.  

Thanks for the compliments.

Great work!! I told Ed Sexton that this kit would be used to build many different vehicles other than S&H. My spin.....

Bill Elliott first Cup ride......

That blue Elliot car on a previous post was what really drove me to do the "tribute" to Mom's old torino.  Same color.   As much as I liked S&H, I just didn't want to build it - too many other things left to build. 

• 1 month later...

I've always had a vested interest in mid 70s Torinos ever since my dad had bought a Ranchero GT new in May '75. Until the S&H kits came along, the only base I had available to use was the Johan 72 race car kit. I did build a replica of his truck 25 years ago,  but it was a MAJOR undertaking as you can imagine. I'll have to try it again using the current Torino kit.

If you contact Ed Sexton again,  tell him the box art for the stock Torino is absolutely awful! It will probably turn many people away from what looks to be a good kit. Almost contrary to the old Palmer model kits where the box art was interesting but the model kits sucked. 

I've also been researching online for conversion ideas for other 70s Fords. I'm leaning toward Torino Brougham, Torino Elite and trying to do a Cougar using this kit and a "Cat" 73 Cougar that I have a bunch of.

I might want to try a 2 door LTD 2, but I think the roof line and body panels are too different for that.

I've also started a conversion of a 1980 Thunderbird using the Monogram nascar body,  a Fox Mustang chassis and nothing else. I got as far as removing the flared fenders all the way around and replacing them with thick sheet plastic to stand up to all the sanding. Then I put it away - too many details yet to be thought out first.