Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '58 Edsel Pacer

Casey

Cool, I have thought of buying one for a long time and at the Norwegian Challenge show this September I bought two of the original releases (one with and one without continental kit) and I paid only 100 kroner (about 12$) for both. But maybe I will get one of these aswell:D

They should make a funny car out of this and then I would buy it! 

Image result for amt edsel funny car

Well, what I did was use a stock AMT '58 Edsel body and the interior tin, chassis, wheels, tires and engine from an AMT AWB Comet kit. Mustang AWB donor should work as well , but that chassis doesn't hinge.  

Edited by magicmustang

DADDYFINK, I THINK JIMMY FLINSTONE MAKES THE ALTERED WHEELBASE EDSEL BODY IN RESIN.JUST COMBINE IT WITH A MUSTANG AWB FUNNY CAR (IF WHEEL BASE IS THE SAME?) I THINK I 'VE SEEN THE" UNREAL" DECALS MADE BY SOMEBODY ON THE WEB. THERE YOU GO!!!!!

I hope it comes with that front "Spoiler" LOL! 

If my quick Google searching is correct, the chassis from this Edsel Pacer with a wheelbase of 118" would be an ideal donor/upgrade for/over the AMT '57 Ford Fairane's chassis, correct? IIRC the Fairlane and Fairlane 500 also had the 118" wheelbase while the Custom and Custom _00 (which I think are what Revell's newer '57s are?) have a 116" wheelbase. I'm guessing the FE engine would be a great candidate to upgrade something older, too.

^^^ LET'S START WITH THE SMELL THAT COMES WAFTING BACK TO THE DRIVER...

Anyhoo, that was the last we saw of the original '58 Edsel. Say what you want about it being primitive, but it got several details right that the new kit messed up (the shape of the rear cove, the curve of the front fender trim, thickness of the taillight bezels, angle of the A-pillars, and the shape of the front wheel wells).

Edited by ChrisBcritter

If my quick Google searching is correct, the chassis from this Edsel Pacer with a wheelbase of 118" would be an ideal donor/upgrade for/over the AMT '57 Ford Fairane's chassis, correct? IIRC the Fairlane and Fairlane 500 also had the 118" wheelbase while the Custom and Custom _00 (which I think are what Revell's newer '57s are?) have a 116" wheelbase. I'm guessing the FE engine would be a great candidate to upgrade something older, too.

Ford used that same basic frame for Ford and Mercury at least through 66. I know this because the 66s55 in my sig is for my fill size 66 Merc. The engine in the 58 Pacer is a mel. They look basically the same as the fe. 

Ford used that same basic frame for Ford and Mercury at least through 66. I know this because the 66s55 in my sig is for my fill size 66 Merc. The engine in the 58 Pacer is a mel. They look basically the same as the fe. 

Actually Ford changed their frame design in 1965, doing away with the cow belly frame and leaf spring suspension in favor of a perimeter style frame with coil springs. It was a NASCAR favorite, and was used almost universally in the latter years. That said, the new tool Edsel has a ton of scale and proportion issues. The engine and rear axle are undersized, and the body isn't tall enough between the rocker panels and the beltline. Other than that it's a pretty cool kit. And yes the chassis would make a nifty donor for the 57 Fairlane.

The engine in the Edsel kit represents the 361 4V FE shared by all Ford-based Edsels, including the Pacer, Ranger, and all wagons. The 410 4V MEL engine was only available in the Merc-based Edsel Citation and Corsair.

The engine in the Edsel kit represents the 361 4V FE shared by all Ford-based Edsels, including the Pacer, Ranger, and all wagons. The 410 4V MEL engine was only available in the Merc-based Edsel Citation and Corsair.

Yes, your right John. I looked it up real quick and miss read the wekipedia.

Actually Ford changed their frame design in 1965, doing away with the cow belly frame and leaf spring suspension in favor of a perimeter style frame with coil springs. It was a NASCAR favorite, and was used almost universally in the latter years. That said, the new tool Edsel has a ton of scale and proportion issues. The engine and rear axle are undersized, and the body isn't tall enough between the rocker panels and the beltline. Other than that it's a pretty cool kit. And yes the chassis would make a nifty donor for the 57 Fairlane.

The shape of the beltline has always appeared wrong to me in the new tool Edsel. As you mentioned Dave, it's not tall enough particularly in the rear quarter window section where there should be much more of a dip. It's too flat and while it's fixable, you'd need to change that cove area to while one's at it. More work than I want to deal with for the moment as I have that kit (PE set and all), but the ambition hasn't struck me yet to tackle it.

While it's pretty crude in the detail department, I think the original 1958-vintage kit has better body proportions and shape...

2v2uSp1VhxE7U1V.jpg

2v2uSp1LgxE7U1V.jpg

Beautiful Edsel. But, here we go again. Complaints about a new kit not being right. Again, I like the newer Edsel. It's always looked like a correct me. In every way. Plus it's available. The chances of seeing the old come kit back, especially in stock form, are probably nil. The new Ertl designed kit is great.