Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best fix for Revell's '48 Ford Custom roof?

Looking at other photos on the web, and the instructions for this kit, I've got some ideas of what I'm going to do with mine. The main body I'm going to leave alone. I will not be using the fender/door flare extensions. IMO they make car look too 1940's GM. The same with the Cadillac and Olds style grilles. I like the looks of the simple custom tube grille. It retains a little bit of the basic stock Ford look up front. Again, to retain the general look of the stock Ford, I plan on using the stock style vertical taillights included with kit. I also plan on using the smooth bumpers, flipper wheel covers, and the fender skirts. 

Last, I also plan on keep the car plain paint wise. No flames, pin stripes, or scallops. Just a mild custom, painted in something like Testors Aztec Gold One Coat Lacquer. Nice and clean.

...With just about any custom car kit ever, in order to get it "right", a picky builder has to put in the work to make it his own...and that just makes me more appreciative of models that have had the extra time and care sunk into achieving a specific period-correct appearance. Steve Boutte's models come to mind....massive effort applied to both the broader flow of the model and the specific details, all to achieve a result that resonates beyond anything the box-stock kit could deliver.

Yeah, and I've always kinda wondered why Revell didn't hire somebody like the gifted Mr. Boutte to design the chop for this thing. 

There are rather a lot of chopped '41-'48 Fords out there, and most of them miss the mark, far as I'm concerned.

And it was, I believe, Gene Winfield (who oughta know) who said "if you're not going to go at least 3 inches, don't bother". Anything less doesn't change the look of the car dramatically enough to be worth all the trouble...and I believe Revell's version may be less-than-three (I don't have the stock Revell '48 to measure, though compared to the old IMC '48, it is...less-than-three). It seems to me that Revell went for a middle-of-the-road approach, when a more radical chop that flowed better would have been a bigger hit.

With the fadeaway fenders, Mr. Boyd's very competent build of essentially what's in the box is, to me, about as interesting as a stock '49 Plymouth. Not a bad looking car, but ...yawn...boring.

Related image

But I LIKE this one...

Image result for chopped 48 ford

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Looking at other photos on the web, and the instructions for this kit, I've got some ideas of what I'm going to do with mine. The main body I'm going to leave alone. I will not be using the fender/door flare extensions. IMO they make car look too 1940's GM. The same with the Cadillac and Olds style grilles. I like the looks of the simple custom tube grille. It retains a little bit of the basic stock Ford look up front. Again, to retain the general look of the stock Ford, I plan on using the stock style vertical taillights included with kit. I also plan on using the smooth bumpers, flipper wheel covers, and the fender skirts. 

Last, I also plan on keep the car plain paint wise. No flames, pin stripes, or scallops. Just a mild custom, painted in something like Testors Aztec Gold One Coat Lacquer. Nice and clean.

I think you're on the right track, Scott. The chop looks better to me without the fadeaway fenders, and keeping some of the other mods to a minimum is probably a good idea.

I'm wondering how much I'd need to mod those fadeaways to apply them to a '50 Ford F1 cab, maybe after channeling it down, and removing/shaving the running boards?

Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me.....sort of a Rod and Custom Dream Truck approach applied to a Ford pickup.  Certainly no more work than trying to tweak a '48 Ford Custom chopped roofline.....I for one would love to see how this idea plays out if you decide to try it....

TIM

All the custom parts from the chopped coupe fit into the stock coupe body just fine.......... ;)

That's a really good looking model...and a very handsome car with stock proportions.

I think Revell's version of the top-chop works much better as a model that's not too heavily customized otherwise....which is Scott's stated intention for building his.

A mild chop just works better with a mild overall theme that's still looks much like the original car.

Just got home. And what is awaiting for me on my porch? The Revell '48 Ford Custom Coupe 3'n1. The first thing I did was open the box, and look for the body and instruction booklet. Wow! Is there a lot of stuff packed into that box! After pulling everything out, to get at the instructions at the bottom of box. I had a heck of a time putting everything back in. I decided to keep the body out for now. To look at and admire. 

First the body in my kit is beautiful. The roof has a mild chop. And looks pretty good to me. On my copy, I don't see a problem. I like it.

Second, I like that this kit comes with a good old fashion hopped up flathead. I love the chrome finned heads, and dual pots. I'm still thinking about building it the way I talked about in my last post here. Though Custom grille #1, the Cadillac style grille is starting to look a little bit better to me. And I kind of like the taillights in bumper guard option. Other than that, I'll be keeping it clean and simple. 

For those worried about the top. It's a matter of personal taste. I've always liked a mild chop, if any to the roof of a car. This one is perfect for me.

Being the obsessive, compulsive person I am, I'm now thinking about buy both the stock '48 coupe and convertible. 1948 has never been a favorite Ford of mine. But, I do like the looks of Revell's kits on this subject. I'd build the stock coupe as just that. A stock '48 Ford coupe. Since the convertible as some custom and speed parts, I like to build it as a stock '48 Ford convertible with a hopped up mill and dual exhaust. The Custom coupe, the stock coupe, and a mildly modified convertible would be a fun combo sitting on the shelve. So, with my next paycheck in may be buy two more '48 Fords. Now do I need the wagon too? 

Scott....you can add the '48 Ford Woody version to that list if that appeals to you....I did a kitbash of the chassis/engine of the '48 Custom Coupe with the Woody kit a few  years back....

DSC 0056

For those of you who aren't familiar with the kit Scott is describing above, here's an on-line kit contents review I did when the '48 Ford Custom kit first came out....TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me.....sort of a Rod and Custom Dream Truck approach applied to a Ford pickup.  Certainly no more work than trying to tweak a '48 Ford Custom chopped roofline.....I for one would love to see how this idea plays out if you decide to try it....

TIM

Now I'm wondering if the Olds grille could be flipped, trimmed a little, and fill the Ford's grille cavity...

Edited by Dirty Dave

Scott....you can add the '48 Ford Woody version to that list if that appeals to you....I did a kitbash of the chassis/engine of the '48 Custom Coupe with the Woody kit a few  years back....

DSC 0056

For those of you who aren't familiar with the kit Scott is describing above, here's an on-line kit contents review I did when the '48 Ford Custom kit first came out....TIM  

Know me, I'm sure I'll end up with a wagon eventually too. Got to have the full fleet. It's part of my sickness. 

As I start doing some subassembly to my Custom '48 Ford, I have decided I am going to build for sure the way I originally indicated . With the custom grille #3, the straight tube grille. And the stock style, but vertical, taillights. Smooth bumpers, with no bumper guards. No fadeaway fenders. I'm also be going with unlouvered hood, the flipper wheel covers, and skirts. Since I want to keep it clean. I also will not be using the spotlights.

Okay I had to do it. For a guy who has never been a big fan of '48 Fords, this is ridiculous. One week ago today the only '48 Ford I had in my collection was AMT's 1:43 scale version. Friday I order, and Monday receive the Custom coupe. I'm so impressed with that kit, that on Tuesday I buy a stock coupe on eBay. Yesterday, Wednesday I order a convertible from Model Roundup. This morning, I'm back on eBay looking at the station wagons. Guess what I did? It's not hard to guess. I purchased a wagon.

This styrene addiction is a little insane. I have way more kits than I'll ever finish before I croak. What can I say? I love plastic. I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. Models are closest thing I have to a vice. And I do finish several models a month. Lately, about one a week. So I am having fun. At the same time, as I've noted, I've never been a big fan of '48 Fords. What am I doing? 

... What am I doing? 

Like you said...having fun. There's no need to feel any guilt about having kits you may never get to. I have quite a few. But who gets hurt? Nobody. And you have them right there if the mood strikes you to pull one off the shelf and work on it.

There have been a few folks on here who have tried to make the ones who "collect" more than they "build" feel bad about it, but choo know what? It's no different than some guys building scale-correct and historically-accurate models, and some guys enjoying the simple pleasure of assembling a kit with no embellishments whatsoever.

Enjoy the hobby as you see fit to enjoy it.

And on the '48 Ford thing...I've been made aware of some things as a result of this hobby that I never really noticed much otherwise. There are subjects I've seen here that, like you, I developed a new interest in. Learning and change is good. Keeps your mind young and fluid. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I agree Bill. I really don't feel too guilty. I do have fun both collecting and building. I always buy with the intent on someday building. I'm just realistic in knowing that will probably never happen. And that is okay. 

Maybe when I die and go to heaven, I'll be able to complete what I have. And find and build all the other kits I wish I had.

Today's mail saw the delivery of both the '48 Ford Convertible, and the '48 Ford Woody Revell kits. Even though the '48 Ford Police Coupe was ordered first, it hasn't arrived yet. Fun to open up the ones I did get. I especially like the Convertible. It's the Good Guys 2 'n 1 version.

As noted before, my plans for the Convertible are to build it completely stock, with the exception of the engine and the exhaust. There I'll be using the custom parts. By the way, I'm very pleased to see that the hop up speed equipment for the flathead in this kit, is not the same as what is found in '48 Ford Custom Coupe kit. Kudos to Revell for going that extra mile on that. It's nice to see variations on parts like that. 

Revell's '48 Ford Woody station wagon doesn't thrill me as much as the convertible. It looks like, with what's in the box, it's will build into a nice stock '48 Ford station wagon. Which is what I want to build. But, beyond that. It comes off a little boring. My kit, is kit #2540. Released back in 1998. It comes with a less thick instruction manual than the other two '48s I now have. It's a complete manual. But, just looks skimpy compared to the other two. And it comes in the dreaded, and cheap "donut box" style box that Revell/Monogram used for a short while in the late 1990's. Big and roomy. But flimsy, with ways for small to parts to escape from. Thankfully that experiment didn't last long. 

Now I just need to get the '48 Ford Police Coupe in my hands, and I'll have all four variations of Revell's very nice '48 Ford kits. It will be interesting to see the Custom Coupe and stock coupe bodies side by side for comparison. I suspect I'll be just as happy with it, as I am with the Custom Coupe. 

Interesting, a little over a week ago I thought the only '48 Ford model kit I needed or wanted was the old AMT 1:43 scale kit that I've had for several years now. But, looking at the three Revell kits I now have, I'm starting to like the looks of Ford's '48. It's a pretty nice looking car. 

Edited by unclescott58

Today's mail saw the delivery of both the '48 Ford Convertible, and the '48 Ford Woody Revell kits. Even though the '48 Ford Police was ordered first, it has arrived yet. Fun to open up the to I did get. I especially like the Convertible. It's the Good Guys 2 'n 1 version.

As noted before, my plans for the Convertible are to build it completely stock, with the exception of the engine and the exhaust. There I be using the custom parts. By the way, I'm very pleased to see that the hop up speed equipment for the flathead in this kit, is not the same as what is found in '48 Ford Custom Coupe kit. Kudos to Revell for that extra mile on that. It's nice to see variations on parts like that. 

Interesting, a little over a week ago I thought the only '48 Ford model kit I needed or wanted was the old AMT 1:43 scale kit that I've had for several years now. But, looking at the three Revell kits I now have, I'm starting to like the looks of Ford's '48. It's a pretty nice looking car. 

I've always been partial to the '41 front end over the '46-'48 in general, but the way the rear fenders wrap around and resolve themselves against the trunk lid on the coupes and convertibles is one of my favorite rear ends in all of car-dom. I think that the engine/chassis parts for the custom options are mild enough that they can be incorporated under an otherwise stock build without looking out of place, yet adding a touch of attitude.

Edited by Dirty Dave

Never liked butchered tops, as the cars look like something from a cartoon. That's my opinion. I like cars as they came from the factory. 

That being said, I built the custom coupe for my cousin. didn't like the car's looks, and tried to bring more stock elements to it, like the hood, front fender separation lines, cowl vent, and some stock taillights. 

32569976876_5c20bccda9_c.jpgRevell 1948 Ford Custom Coupe by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

The lowered roof ruined the cars proportions so I didn't like the end result. Yes I'm somewhat of a purist. 

32610457335_275c9df020_c.jpgRevell 1948 Ford Custom Coupe by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

BUT, the custom kit has some very cool features, like the lowered suspensions, the cool tuck and roll interior, and hopped up flathead. 

Lather, I got a custom kit just for those parts, and decided to build a hot rod more up to my taste. Something that if done in 1:1 scale could be reversed back to stock, so a classic Ford doesn't go to waste. That's my way of making a rod, always with reversible mods, and even tough I have about 200 completed cars, I can count about 10 rods, and only of cars I already have bone stock. 

I guess this one looks 1000 times better than the custom coupe I built for my cousin. Just don't tell him that... Like Bill said, it's a taste and personal preference thing. I just don't see the need to modify a car by cutting the roof. For some factory stock is boring, for me is the correct thing to do.  

34462248995_b3af814c29_c.jpgFords e Aliana 009 copy by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

34462245445_b9865cd4fe_c.jpgFords e Aliana 007 copy by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

So, my fix for the '48 custom, is just a stock '48 body. 

Edited by Lovefordgalaxie

Never liked butchered tops, as the cars look like something from a cartoon. That's my opinion. I like cars as they came from the factory. 

That being said, I built the custom coupe for my cousin. didn't like the car's looks, and tried to bring more stock elements to it, like the hood, front fender separation lines, cowl vent, and some stock taillights. 

Revell 1948 Ford Custom Coupe by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

The lowered roof ruined the cars proportions so I didn't like the end result. Yes I'm somewhat of a purist. 

Revell 1948 Ford Custom Coupe by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

BUT, the custom kit has some very cool features, like the lowered suspensions, the cool tuck and roll interior, and hopped up flathead. 

Lather, I got a custom kit just for those parts, and decided to build a hot rod more up to my taste. Something that if done in 1:1 scale could be reversed back to stock, so a classic Ford doesn't go to waste. That's my way of making a rod, always with reversible mods, and even tough I have about 200 completed cars, I can count about 10 rods, and only of cars I already have bone stock. 

I guess this one looks 1000 times better than the custom coupe I built for my cousin. Just don't tell him that... Like Bill said, it's a taste and personal preference thing. I just don't see the need to modify a car by cutting the roof. For some factory stock is boring, for me is the correct thing to do.  

34462248995_b3af814c29_c.jpgFords e Aliana 009 copy by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

34462245445_b9865cd4fe_c.jpgFords e Aliana 007 copy by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

So, my fix for the '48 custom, is just a stock '48 body. 

Again, always nice work T

Argh! I hate that when you try add your own text under somebody else's text your quoting. Using an iPad, like I do, it shows only part of the box being worked in. And many times not at the point where your typing.

To finish what I was going to say above. Again, always nice work Tulio. You are one of the masters at building beautiful Fords. And your work on '48 Fords, mainling the turds from IMC, amaze me.

I also agree with fix for the Custom versions roof. Buy a stock version and build your own if you don't like. Though as noted, I do like it. So I'll be leaving well enough alone.

One question to Tulio or any of the other Ford experts out there. The instructions the "stock" '48 Fords say to paint the underdash heater box a white color. Is this right? I can't find any photos on the web confirming this. It does not seem right to me. But, I maybe wrong. 

Edited by unclescott58