Model Cars Magazine Forum

I found this at Hobby Lobby. from Greenlight, about $19 with the coupon. 1/24 scale. It looks old but Shasta is still making these. There is also a Winnebago from 1964.

The decals on the back are from my stash

DSCF4132.JPG

DSCF4130.JPG

DSCF4129.JPG

Edited by samdiego

I've seen the Shasta in the flesh. It's a very nice model. I'm having a very hard time of convincing myself that I DO NOT need one. I've got too much of this stuff. Including a couple of Green Lights' very nice 1/64 scale campers. I'm sorry, but I do not need the larger ones too. But, I sure do want them.

Thanks Sam...those are awesome.   I wish someone would make plastic kits of these things for us...how about it Round2 or Revell..?

Actually Mark, The Modelhaus offered a resin version of the Shasta camper and I have one on order. I have seen this camper at HL and am thinking of picking one up and selling the resin one once it arrives.

It would be nice to have some recreational vehicles in scale plastic kits, but not sure how well they have sold in the past.

I had seen this at HL also but didn't pick it up,went back a day later and it was gone and hasn't been restocked yet.

I think my reasoning for not snagging it was that it looked awful large for 1/24.  Sam could you post a pic with a 1/24 or 1/25 truck in front of it for comparison?

Thanks Sam...those are awesome.   I wish someone would make plastic kits of these things for us...how about it Round2 or Revell..?

It's highly doubtful that you'll ever see a plastic kit; you can get the diecast for roughly the same price as a kit, far less $$ than Modelhaus resin. If you like the subject enough, get the diecast and make it your own. It's just a different medium...strip it and start over, add detail, perhaps weather it. I saw some in their packaging at a model show, they look really good and I may get one of my own. Subject matter can trump the material it is made in. 

Size in comparison to the kits is an issue for me too...they have to look right for the scale tow vehicles.  if i could find enough camper/custom van interior and exterior parts id try to scratch build a few of my own camper trailers and motorhomes...there a overlooked possible kits to sell I think they would sell pretty well myself.

Where did you find this, in with the regular diecast? I've checked all the HLs in the area and didn't find them. It looks really nice!

Hobby Lobbys near me only put out one at a time.  Someone buys it, they order another.  Very tight inventory control.  But I found them right with the other diecast.

if i could find enough camper/custom van interior and exterior parts id try to scratch build a few of my own camper trailers and motorhomes...there a overlooked possible kits to sell I think they would sell pretty well myself.

IMG 2672

Camper interiors are fairly easy.  Nearly everything in this photo is scratch built.  The cabinets are basswood and the knobs are brass nails used by ship builders. The countertop is just plastic sheet. I don't think I even painted it.  The sink is half a gas tank from my parts box, using the inside of it. Faucet is just a bit of wire.  The dishes came from a 1/35 scale military mess set.  The silverware is from a photo etch sheet. Microwave is the TV from the old Dodge van kits, with new knobs.  Coffee maker is scratch built from sheet plastic and the coffee pot is a length of clear drinking straw topped with a round thing from my parts box, probably a wheel hub. The bottle came from the old MPC Gangbusters cars.

The flooring and welcome mat were printed from one of those miniatures sites for doll house builders.  I just scaled it to half and printed. The shoe is the foot off a broken 1/25 scale man in my parts box. The bed base is basswood just like the cabinets.  The mattress is also basswood shaped in the corners and covered with tissue.  The pillow is folded up tissue. The blankets are painted and folded napkins. The magazines were photo reduced and printed.   

Nothing here that anyone else on this board couldn't do!

IMG 2602

Here's the earliest photo of it just mocked up.  The base is the interior from the Dodge van.

IMG 2672

Camper interiors are fairly easy.  Nearly everything in this photo is scratch built.  The cabinets are basswood and the knobs are brass nails used by ship builders. The countertop is just plastic sheet. I don't think I even painted it.  The sink is half a gas tank from my parts box, using the inside of it. Faucet is just a bit of wire.  The dishes came from a 1/35 scale military mess set.  The silverware is from a photo etch sheet. Microwave is the TV from the old Dodge van kits, with new knobs.  Coffee maker is scratch built from sheet plastic and the coffee pot is a length of clear drinking straw topped with a round thing from my parts box, probably a wheel hub. The bottle came from the old MPC Gangbusters cars.

The flooring and welcome mat were printed from one of those miniatures sites for doll house builders.  I just scaled it to half and printed. The shoe is the foot off a broken 1/25 scale man in my parts box. The bed base is basswood just like the cabinets.  The mattress is also basswood shaped in the corners and covered with tissue.  The pillow is folded up tissue. The blankets are painted and folded napkins. The magazines were photo reduced and printed.   

Nothing here that anyone else on this board couldn't do!

IMG 2602

Here's the earliest photo of it just mocked up.  The base is the interior from the Dodge van.

Nice work Tom....  I also want to build a replica of my old factory custom 71-76 Dodge van I once owned sometime.  Some of you are much better at scratch building then others like me..LOL..

I've got a 1:1 1958 Shasta Airflyte in white and yellow. So you can imagine how excited I was to find out about these! This is my diecast that I've got on my desk in my office at work. Sorry for all of the clutter in the background.

Edited by Greg Pugh

• 2 weeks later...