Model Cars Magazine Forum

November 11th Veteran's Day

Khils

A very humbled....... Thank You!...... to ALL that served!

Only my savior knows "What" our lives would be with out what was "GIVEN"     And some gave ALL!

Forever in debted !!

Edited by Khils
Sppelling

And one day earlier, Nov. 10, is the 242nd birthday of the Marine Corps. It was born in 1775 in a Philadelphia tavern, the first Marine recruiting station. Which a lot of people would say is most appropriate. :-)

One of the first Marine recruits was a former slave, John Martin.  He fought with the Marine detachment aboard the brig USS Reprisal, seizing British ships in close combat. Martin and all his fellow Marines died together when the Reprisal sank in October 1777.

I taught that kind of stuff to recruits when I was a Drill Instructor, many burgers and beers ago.  The Marine Corps sure has attracted a bunch of...interesting individuals over the years.  Maj. Gen Smedley Darlington Butler was the youngest Marine General in history, and still the only Marine officer to win the Medal of Honor twice. He was also the first American General since the Civil War to be put under house arrest and threatened with a General Court-Martial. (Apparently for saying bad things about Italy's Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini).  Lt-Col Evans Carlson resigned his commission in the 1930s, went to China as a journalist, and made part of the Long March with Mao Tse-Tung's army.  That's where the Marines got the phrase "gung ho" -  Chinese for "working together."  Carlson went back in the Marines later and formed the first Raider units in WWII.

Edited by Mike999
error

How about going back to what it originally was supposed to be: Armistice Day - commemorated every year on 11 November to mark the armistice signed between the  Allies of WW 1 and Germany at Compiègne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War 1, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning—the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of 1918? A memorial to the attempt to attain peace instead of the militaristic, jingoistic day that it has become.

How about going back to what it originally was supposed to be: Armistice Day - commemorated every year on 11 November to mark the armistice signed between the  Allies of WW 1 and Germany at Compiègne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War 1, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning—the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of 1918? A memorial to the attempt to attain peace instead of the militaristic, jingoistic day that it has become.

Do you support the athletes that take a knee when the National Anthem is played?

I'm not ashamed to say I'm proud of my  DD214 and Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.

How about going back to what it originally was supposed to be? ...A memorial to the attempt to attain peace instead of the militaristic, jingoistic day that it has become.

The "attempt to attain peace" came at the expense of the lives and limbs and eyes and sanity of the men who thought enough of the concept of peace to risk everything in order to achieve it.

The day has become a means of expressing thanks to men like that, still living, who will willingly walk into hell to insure freedom for the rest.

Every American soldier I've ever known had a sense of duty to lay down his own life for the liberty so many take for granted.

That ideal, sir, is something that deserves universal respect.

Do you support the athletes that take a knee when the National Anthem is played?

I'm not ashamed to say I'm proud of my  DD214 and Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.

Yes I do support them!

Was glad to get that DD214 and get out of there since I never asked to be there and by my definition was forcibly impressed into servitude.

Yes I do support them!

Was glad to get that DD214 and get out of there since I never asked to be there and by my definition was forcibly impressed into servitude.

You dont need to respond to this topic then.  I get it, ALOT of people didn't want to serve, but don't crash this topic of thanking those who selflessly volunteer!!.....start your own BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH topic on how much you hate the military.

Edited by Dann Tier

The "attempt to attain peace" came at the expense of the lives and limbs and eyes and sanity of the men who thought enough of the concept of peace to risk everything in order to achieve it.

The day has become a means of expressing thanks to men like that, still living, who will willingly walk into hell to insure freedom for the rest.

Every American soldier I've ever known had a sense of duty to lay down his own life for the liberty so many take for granted.

I agree 100%!!!!!!!

A very humbled....... Thank You!...... to ALL that served!

Only my savior knows "What" our lives would be with out what was "GIVEN"     And some gave ALL!

Forever in debted !!

First off, Thank YOU for supporting us!, I never really know what to say to someone who thanks me for my service, so my wife said, "just say you're welcome", and that's what I try to do. Like many Veterans here I'm betting, we didn't do it for the praise, medals, or attention, we did it because we LOVE AMERICA, and what it stands for. You are welcome.

Thanks Ace. US NAVY Sept. 1975 to Sept. 1979

I am a Marine.  No, not in the Marines, I am a Marine.  Vietnam 1969-70. Attended the dedication of The Wall in 1982.  This year is the 35th anniversary of The Wall and I 'll be there again.  Actually, this will be my 33rd year being there.  All 58, 318 names will be read out loud right in front of The Wall.  I the list of 30 names I was provided on November 10, 2017 at 3:08pm.  The officials don't know it and it'll be too late afterwards to stop me, but I'm really going to read 31 names. After completing the 30 assigned names I will recite "my high school friend, Peter Steven Tyrka".