Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first model - Revell GTI mk1

joeb99

Greetings, this is my first model build still in progress. Decided to go for a mk1 gti by revell. Dad has been building a 66' beetle by tamiya so thought id have a pop.

Kit looks great up to now even fully stock and was suprised at the detail. looks like this kit is one of the newer revell kits after looking at other examples of revell gti's.

Only just got round to posting some pics so not much 'progress' pictures but you get the idea of sub assemblies and how its coming along

IMG_1686.thumb.JPG.24222f5e556a9a63483daIMG_1684.thumb.JPG.bb916c39c6a6c90e52676IMG_1683.thumb.JPG.7cc3b8cb0a40ea84832c3

First up the engine bay: this would be my first expirience of modelling and turned out suprisingly well. plenty of parts packed in keeps things interesting even without spark plug wiring.

pretty much all of the engine compoents handpainted apart from bay and firewall itself which was airbrushed.

Chassis airbrushed with some revell semi-gloss black which came with kit. bit of drybrushing. first time using an airbrush and realised how much better finish i got

IMG_1685.thumb.JPG.6c61e662a7273d1116bf7

exhaust pipes airbrushed with tamiya flat aluminium with light oversprays of metallic grey xf-56.

due to short supply of paints i used some clear orange around welds and clamps. also polished muffler to give a bit of contrast

IMG_1693.thumb.JPG.ae588c8dd06b6b750167e

IMG_1694.thumb.JPG.6ba250585a4c1b2f17cfa

steering dry assembly:

IMG_1695.thumb.JPG.3f5049787b7b9ad1ffabc

suspension and steering painted in gloss black as opposed to semi gloss of the chassis

IMG_1711.thumb.JPG.2e58cdfd91177bab049b9

Next phase: interior

decided to go for some german grey as the main colour for interior

however on my next model may experiment with some 'flocking' that ive seen people use to replicate a carpet effect

IMG_1712.thumb.JPG.542c16be641a2cec10791

IMG_1713.thumb.JPG.9b0d472b88321cd1d77f0IMG_1714.thumb.JPG.61c196347a64b349ea27e

Revell did a great job with dash detail with plenty of transfers realistic to the car in real life. the transfers were applied suprisingly well 

IMG_1715.thumb.JPG.4989b9111242ca53dcbf3

IMG_1716.thumb.JPG.d8f18a01fb6fcb80aa264

external_url_proxy.thumb.jpg.f97361d83f5

pro spray booth setup

IMG_1728.thumb.JPG.5869997ec34a63b84bec8

Okay, so now for the fun to begin...

IMG_1743.thumb.JPG.6188cde935bda2370ce3bIMG_1744.thumb.JPG.ca3983d57d244404ae980

Decided to go for the atlas grey gti. okay so this model looks to be based around the earlier versions around 76 whilst atlas grey golfs only came about in 82 but oh well, looks pretty cool in my opinion

this time i used some vallejo gunmetal grey from their metal series of paints. For future reference must use a laquer in my case some tamiya x-22 or else this paint rubs of really easily even when handling to apply transfers. Also masked of the wheel arches and rear window trim to apply some black.

IMG_1731.thumb.JPG.522eb4daf695244c6e8d1

Next i applied the transfers; this is pretty much my progress so far as you can see not all body transfers have been applied , the body trim proved really awkward :

enjoy the pics:

IMG_1746.thumb.JPG.ef3c9b21c19fcef38ba11IMG_1750.thumb.JPG.3dc1bea6586955413d614

english plates of course

what looks to be chassis vin, too small to seeIMG_1747.thumb.JPG.305fbf8ae44f061370bd5

that red grill trim

-decided to opt to handpaint the red grill trim with an undercoat of silver to really make it stand out. maybe not as neat as if i had used the transfers but i couldnt resist

IMG_1742.thumb.JPG.23c2dbc5c858b5b8d34b3

various parts ready to be assembled once body is ready

IMG_1751.thumb.JPG.ff5a8ccf5d6a97f4ad909IMG_1749.thumb.JPG.7d82329f9bdf6026d0ec1

so... here we are up to now. hope you enjoy the content so far and i plan to update in a few days once the body is finished and then time to assemble.

any feedback is more than welcome

enjoy guys!

Edited by joeb99
forgot to add a picture

Is there 3 holes on the cowl? I have both the revell of germamy and the regular revell kits and they've only got 2 on the cowl

Allow me to introduce you to a fun way to drain your bank account

http://www.clearlyscale.com/category

the kit came with one hole already drilled out. I'm running it british RHD so can only think one was intended for LHD wiper setup. may have to fill in on of those holes

hmm...interesting, some aftermarket wheels and seats may be tempting for the next build. 

Awesome work. This should turn out great.

Very nice job detailing.

Looking nice!!.....great attention to detail!!

thanks! the kit really does help with plenty of detail packed in, as you can see the build is pretty much stock and still looks great

First off I'd like to say your doing an incredible job for your first build.  Keep up the good work.  I have a soft spot for the old VW's.  Of all the vehicles I've owned in my life, my '86 Scirocco is the only car I wish I still had (it was a silver 1.8l 8v Karmann edition with snow flake rims, lowered 2" with bilstien shocks/eibach springs - that was a fun car).

I had the exact same problem with the vallejo paint.  I laid down a perfect paint job on a '67 Chevelle in the same Gun Metal color you are using and even after letting it sit for over a month, the paint rubbed off with the lightest touch (ended up stripping it and repainting it with Model Master Graphite Metallic, which is just slightly darker, but otherwise it's very close).  I think the vallejo paints may be better suited to the Lexan RC bodies as opposed to the Styrene that model kits are made from.  Got rid of all my vallejo paints after that.

Mark.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Is this really your first build? It looks properly good.

Will you paint it black around the back window as a lot of GTi:s are?

I have painted wheel arches and back window in flat black but once i clear coat the body over the decals it should be a bit more glossy so you will see it clearer.

First off I'd like to say your doing an incredible job for your first build.  Keep up the good work.  I have a soft spot for the old VW's.  Of all the vehicles I've owned in my life, my '86 Scirocco is the only car I wish I still had (it was a silver 1.8l 8v Karmann edition with snow flake rims, lowered 2" with bilstien shocks/eibach springs - that was a fun car).

I had the exact same problem with the vallejo paint.  I laid down a perfect paint job on a '67 Chevelle in the same Gun Metal color you are using and even after letting it sit for over a month, the paint rubbed off with the lightest touch (ended up stripping it and repainting it with Model Master Graphite Metallic, which is just slightly darker, but otherwise it's very close).  I think the vallejo paints may be better suited to the Lexan RC bodies as opposed to the Styrene that model kits are made from.  Got rid of all my vallejo paints after that.

Mark.

I too ended stripping back the body first time, however, after multiple layers of clear coat just tamiya i think i used i managed to make the body resistant to touch. Just been putting decals on last couple of days and its holing up well. you may be able to see from the pics that when i painted the engine bay earlier it was not clear coated and so some paint is rubbing off. i also found that you need to spray vallejo on in really light mist coats or else you get a terrible finish.

Excellent work for a first build!  May I suggest a dull coat to reduce the shine on the seats?

yes need to dull the seats down, just clear coated to make sure set decals stay in place. 

Progress has been slow the recently due to work etc. Just one more decal to apply to the body then pretty much just assemble the final pieces like wipers and mirrors etc.

will post some pics of my works, cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Built the same kit many years ago and I also just had to paint the red detailing around the grill.  I went with black for the body and regretted it, your choice of colour is much better.  I did not like the fit of the wheels supplied with the kit and would definitely consider some aftermarket wheels.