Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Yellow Jacket

TooOld

While this kit might be considered by some as being very primitive by todays standards, with the modifications you have done and shown here this can be made into a really great looking build.   

I used to think that too , until I restored my first old Monogram kit and found out how nice they can look !

Back when I did the mock-up it was obvious that without fenders those rear wheel openings would really stand out , so I did some looking and decided to make some filler panels like these .

Not keeping with my "Box Stock" build but they will really improve the overall appearance .  I made a quick little mold and used my Vac-U-Form to make the panels .

Trimmed and test fitting the panels .

Finished and painted to match .

I really like this project. It's neat to see this kit get built. The subtle modifications you're doing are the kind that if your model was sitting next to one that was strictly straight from the box people would be trying to figure out why yours looks so much better. Can't wait to see the final product!

B)

I really like this project. It's neat to see this kit get built. The subtle modifications you're doing are the kind that if your model was sitting next to one that was strictly straight from the box people would be trying to figure out why yours looks so much better. Can't wait to see the final product!

B)

Thanks Dennis !  That's what i was hoping for , I really want to keep the box stock look .

I used to think that too , until I restored my first old Monogram kit and found out how nice they can look !

Back when I did the mock-up it was obvious that without fenders those rear wheel openings would really stand out , so I did some looking and decided to make some filler panels like these .

Not keeping with my "Box Stock" build but they will really improve the overall appearance .  I made a quick little mold and used my Vac-U-Form to make the panels .

Trimmed and test fitting the panels .

Finished and painted to match .

You know I bet a guy could sell those.

Man this is just so lovely. I've got enough spare parts and Gooche decals to do this, but your meticulous work and modifications makes me re-think my plan. The wheels and other mods are such a huge improvement! What color yellow are you using? Perfect match :)

Man this is just so lovely. I've got enough spare parts and Gooche decals to do this, but your meticulous work and modifications makes me re-think my plan. The wheels and other mods are such a huge improvement! What color yellow are you using? Perfect match :)

Yes let us know what yellow you used..... I have a couple that I need to finish too

I painted the filler panels with Tamiya TS-16 Yellow . Hard to tell in the photos but it's just a bit lighter than the yellow plastic .

Absolutely beautiful work on this iconic kit.  I never had the Yellow Jacket, but did build the '30 Phaeton and the Black Widow.  Those old Monogram kits were a blast to build.  The subtle touches you have added to this build really set it above all the rest.  Great job.

Absolutely beautiful work on this iconic kit.  I never had the Yellow Jacket, but did build the '30 Phaeton and the Black Widow.  Those old Monogram kits were a blast to build.  The subtle touches you have added to this build really set it above all the rest.  Great job.

Thanks very much !