Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Yellow Jacket

TooOld

I picked this up a couple of months ago , the box is a bit worn but the kit is in excellent condition !  The plan is a "Box Art" build straight out of the box .  It's a very simple little kit so there probably won't be much to show in this thread but I'll show what I can .  

I actually won't be starting until this weekend  so here's a few photos of the kit itself .

Nice kit!  Love the real rubber tire that are in these early issues.

Some careful knife work with a fresh #11 blade to thin down the spokes on the wire wheels can make a huge difference.

Real rubber tires are definitely cool . I've done that before but think I'll leave these alone . The 10 spoke outer wheel spokes look pretty decent to me .

Build on.

Absolutely !

I'd like to see what else is in that kit catalog.

About 70% of it is aircraft/military kits ., here's the car section of the catalog .

Catalog 1

Catalog 2

I remember buying that kit back in the '60s (and being ribbed by my buddies for buying a Monogram kit). Sorry, but I just liked the look of it (and I think it was only 98¢ at the time).

And, even though I'm a 1/25 scale kinda person, I wouldn't be upset in Monovell re-issued that kit and some of the others from that era. 

I remember buying that kit back in the '60s (and being ribbed by my buddies for buying a Monogram kit). Sorry, but I just liked the look of it (and I think it was only 98¢ at the time).

And, even though I'm a 1/25 scale kinda person, I wouldn't be upset in Monovell re-issued that kit and some of the others from that era. 

I was always a 1/25th scale and nothing else guy too , the 1/24th kits just looked wrong to me on my shelf .  Then I started restoring these old Monogram kits and got hooked . . . built a new shelf just for them !

Wow this kit looks fantastic for its age! Can’t wait to see this one get built

I got lucky as it didn't cost me an arm and a leg !

You just can't beat them early Monogram kits, Molded in color  and simple to build as a young modeler. They need to bring a lot of them back.

Can't wait o see this one done. I have a few  Old Monogram kits to finish

Very simple kits and they look great when finished !

I did a mock-up to check the ride height and it sits just like it should , HIGH off the ground like they all did back then !

I like the traditional look but want to lower the front to give it a bit of a rake and looking at the front axle this is a simple mod . The frame rests on two pads (arrows) , so removing them will effectively lower the front 1/8th inch or a scale 3 inches .

Here's a nose to nose comparison showing the 3" drop . It's barely noticeable but I think it improves the overall appearance .

Like to forward rake better as well.  Stance is of paramount importance IMHO to the overall build.

It's not much but every little bit helps !

This is one of my grail kits, so I'm happy to see your's getting built. I like that spring mod. Looking great Bob!

Thanks Glenn !

A couple of days ago John Goschke suggested thinning the front spokes and I guess I dismissed the idea .  Well about an hour ago I started thinking "what the heck !" and went to work .  Still needs some cleanup but here's the result . Thanks John! :D

Wow what a difference,... Well Done Bob

Thanks  ! The hardest part was cleaning out all of the debris afterwards .

Been working on and off all this week but there really hasn't been anything to post .  Finished detailing the wheels and painted the radiator shell and front axle yellow to match the rest of the suspension . Very quick assembly to finish the chassis straight out of the box with nothing added .

Instead of painting the wood floorboards I made a couple of decals .

Edited by TooOld

Looking really good so far. Thinning down the wheel spokes made a big difference in realism. Love these old monogram model A kits and how interchangeable they are.. One little detail - the radiator shell on the full sized 1930 Model A's (which this kit represents) is a stamped stainless steel piece that is highly polished. From the factory, there were no painted rad shells on the 1930 Fords. The earlier 28/29 model A's were nickel plated steel on the passenger cars and black painted steel for the commercial units. 1931's were also stamped stainless steel but with a small bolt in section at the upper front that was usually painted body color.

Looking really good so far. Thinning down the wheel spokes made a big difference in realism. Love these old monogram model A kits and how interchangeable they are.. One little detail - the radiator shell on the full sized 1930 Model A's (which this kit represents) is a stamped stainless steel piece that is highly polished. From the factory, there were no painted rad shells on the 1930 Fords. The earlier 28/29 model A's were nickel plated steel on the passenger cars and black painted steel for the commercial units. 1931's were also stamped stainless steel but with a small bolt in section at the upper front that was usually painted body color.

Thanks Chris !  Yeah I know about the SS shells on the 30's but I've never been to worried about being technically correct about those type of things . Besides maybe it was built with spares in some hot rodder's garage !

Did you notice the really nice blower setup in this kit ?  No carbs included .