Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius future kit prototypes from November, 2017 NNL Motor City...

tim boyd

Obviously there's both the '67  and '68 model years.  Within factory stock variations, there are umpteen possibilities, including multiple high performance versions.  Besides the base model for each year, there is also the options for XR7, GT, XR7-G, GT-E.  As far as engines, there was the 289 and 302 windsor, 390, 427, and 428 all offered at various times during the 1967-1968 model years.  (No Eliminator until '69 though)

OK, brain lapse there! I was thinking of the GT-E, but put in Eliminator instead! Shows you how much I know about Cougars! :D

Revell could literally drag out that tooling for years if indeed that's what's coming with all those variations. We'll soon know!

I'm guessing the new kit will be a 1967-68 Cougar.  I heard a quiet, inside rumor a while back that one was planned, and now I'm betting it is what is coming.  If they start with a '68, they would only have to remove the side marker lights for a '67 body.  Or, they can just do them in decals, and the only things that NEED to change are in the interior.  But to go to a '69, they would need a new everything above the chassis, and AMTs '69 really only needs the inner fender wells and the dashboard fixed to be a really great model.

Would be neat if true, cuz back in '01 when I ran the 250K question for the first time this one came out as the number one pick.

The following proposal was made by David Fitzgerald from down under.

"'67 Mercury Cougar XR7

As an Australian id like to do one of our muscle cars, but I think it just wouldn’t be viable. Therefore my choice would be American.
My choice would be a 1967 Mercury Cougar XR7,
as the interest is high, well on this board it is, and one hasn’t been offered for ages.
Targeted to the adult modeller, parts count would be in the 120 to 130 region. Skill level 3, including air con. Similar quality to Revell's 1969 Dart kit. Optional parts include manual and auto trans, sports air cleaner and American Racing 200s alloy wheels, or possibly some 16" alloys.
Possible variations include, 67 or 68 versions of the following,
1/ big block drag pack cougar with steel rims and dog dish caps. similar to the pic our host TomHH posted a few weeks back.
2/ several small and big block versions such as GT-E, XR-7G
3/ possibly even a Trans-am Bud Moore version similar to the car pictured in "Mustang and Fords" magazine April 2000 issue.
For box art id go for a pic of the real car on the top, pic's of the model on the sides and ends showing both the standard and optional parts, hence needing 2 built models for the pics.
If I was slightly over budget, loose the transmission and air cleaner options, but keep the wheel option.
Now that’s said and done, how far away is the repo man.....lol.
So whets other peoples thoughts on this?
Finally a question, has any of the late 60's Trans-am cars been kitted in 1/25, even a Camaro, Mustang, anything?
Thanks for reading. "

Edited by Luc Janssens

...Now that THAT'S settled, I guess we can start speculating on what area of the body they're gonna screw up, and how badly, and what a shame they didn't get this one right either, sigh. :lol:

Nah. It's gonna be a "nostalgia" retool of a Palmer kit.

Ought to satisfy all those who have "fun" playing with "toys" just fine.

The "scale modelers" among us can just scratch-build something worth having. ;) 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

So it's gonna be a Cougar, from Revell, then? 

Now that THAT'S settled, I guess we can start speculating on what area of the body they're gonna screw up, and how badly, and what a shame they didn't get this one right either, sigh. :lol:

Not much need to speculate on any of that. With Revell it's almost a given that something on the body will be so obviously, so glaringly wrong that Stevie Wonder couldn't miss it & he's blind. If perchance he did overlook it, Ray Charles could likely point the error out to him, & the last I knew, that gentleman is both blind & dead.

Meanwhile, the great unwashed of the hobby will praise them to the high heavens for creating such an "awesome" kit, excoriate anyone that points out said major flaws, make the claim that if we don't buy cases of the kit that Revell will stop making models, (this despite the fact that they've been doing just that for some seventy years), claim we're all playing with toys & that we shouldn't mention things like this on a model car forum, because there are far worse things to contemplate in real life, (no matter the fact that a forum dedicated to discussing, wait for it; model cars, is the perfect place to bring up such issues), & reduce themselves to the level of fifth graders making personal attacks on those that can see & do point out the flaws, simply because they have no logical argument that can defend said flaws.

All the while they'll be clapping their flippers & barking like trained seals tossed a fish, & proclaiming the kit is of "Tamiya like quality" when the closest they've ever been to a Tamiya kit is looking at the outside box of one. That's usually painfully obvious by the domestic kits & their level of "quality" they've tried to pin that appellation on in the past.

Lather, rinse, repeat, ad infinitum.....

Edited by Bob Turner2

Not much need to speculate on any of that. With Revell it's almost a given that something on the body will be so obviously, so glaringly wrong that Stevie Wonder couldn't miss it & he's blind. If perchance he did overlook it, Ray Charles could likely point the error out to him, & the last I knew, that gentleman is both blind & dead.

Meanwhile, the great unwashed of the hobby will praise them to the high heavens for creating such an "awesome" kit, excoriate anyone that points out said major flaws, make the claim that if we don't buy cases of the kit that Revell will stop making models, (this despite the fact that they've been doing just that for some seventy years), claim we're all playing with toys & that we shouldn't mention things like this on a model car forum, because there are far worse things to contemplate in real life, (no matter the fact that a forum dedicated to discussing, wait for it; model cars, is the perfect place to bring up such issues), & reduce themselves to the level of fifth graders making personal attacks on those that can see & do point out the flaws, simply because they have no logical argument that can defend said flaws.

All the while they'll be clapping their flippers & barking like trained seals tossed a fish, & proclaiming the kit is of "Tamiya like quality" when the closest they've ever been to a Tamiya kit is looking at the outside box of one. That's usually painfully obvious by the domestic kits & their level of "quality" they've tried to pin that appellation on in the past.

Lather, rinse, repeat, ad infinitum.....

I see you've been around Model Car World for some years, too. B):lol:  Well played! B)

I'll throw a guess into the hat......2018 Corvette....Build and Play version and a full kit, 65th anniversary edition....maybe.

Would that excite most adult model builders? Not me. If I had my choice it would be a nice 'Cuda funny car like the Snake's Army car. I can't see that happening. My bets are still on a '27 Ford roadster or an altered wheelbase A F/X. Either the Landry Dodge or Sox and Martin Plymouth.

I see you've been around Model Car World for some years, too. B):lol:  Well played! B)

Thank you sir, thank you! :lol:

You are referring to the hobby itself, & not the aftermarket paint company I'm guessing? ;)

For the record, I'd personally love an accurate new tool of either a 67 or 68 Cougar, or a 68 Coronet, especially if the company was willing to make the changes needed for different variations, (XR-7, GTE, R/T vs Super Bee), even some mainstream versions as options.

Would that excite most adult model builders? Not me. If I had my choice it would be a nice 'Cuda funny car like the Snake's Army car. I can't see that happening. My bets are still on a '27 Ford roadster or an altered wheelbase A F/X. Either the Landry Dodge or Sox and Martin Plymouth.

A modeler would have to not have a pulse to not find the '18 Corvette ZR1 exciting..it would be great as a full detail kit..

A modeler would have to not have a pulse to not find the '18 Corvette ZR1 exciting..it would be great as a full detail kit..

Agreed. I'm in my 60s, so I'd certainly qualify as an "adult modeler", & though I'm not particularly fond of the current styling of the Vette, as far as performance goes, the ZR1 delivers.

While kits of some of the other cars he mentioned would also please me, I don't just look in the past.

For the record, I'd personally love an accurate new tool of either a 67 or 68 Cougar, or a 68 Coronet, especially if the company was willing to make the changes needed for different variations, (XR-7, GTE, R/T vs Super Bee), even some mainstream versions as options.

Having grown up around '67-68 Cougars, I'd love to see some kitted, along w/ a '68 Coronet.  Though I have the annual kits of each along w/ resin versions, new kits would be welcome.   Can't imagine it happening, though. 

Having grown up around '67-68 Cougars, I'd love to see some kitted, along w/ a '68 Coronet.  Though I have the annual kits of each along w/ resin versions, new kits would be welcome.   Can't imagine it happening, though. 

If i were a betting man, I'd be more inclined to place a wager on the Cougar myself, as for some reason that seems a viable possibility. Of course it's just as likely that we'll get another hot rod kit if it's Revell. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as I build those also, but I'd prefer something a bit different.

While not grails, I'd be quite happy with a '67/'68 Cougar or any boattail Riviera. An '18 Grand Sport or ZR1 would absolutely raise my pulse. 

If they're not disfigured by...

Or overly compromised...or...

Well...

We'll hear soon enough, and then the fireworks will really begin. Some will be elated. Some will be dejected. Some will be so triggered to be listing off everything deeply esoteric that those idiot moronic model companies should have done instead IF THEY HAD ONLY LISTENED!!! Some will calmly look at their stash and realize it's perfectly okay if there were never any more new kits. Ever. 

Until the paint and glue run out. :lol:

Okay...back to my Merchero. So glad Modelhaus made that one...way cool. A fun diversion after a bunch of more modern stuff.

While not grails, I'd be quite happy with a '67/'68 Cougar or any boattail Riviera. An '18 Grand Sport or ZR1 would absolutely raise my pulse. 

If they're not disfigured by...

Or overly compromised...or...

Well...

We'll hear soon enough, and then the fireworks will really begin. Some will be elated. Some will be dejected. Some will be so triggered to be listing off everything deeply esoteric that those idiot moronic model companies should have done instead IF THEY HAD ONLY LISTENED!!! Some will calmly look at their stash and realize it's perfectly okay if there were never any more new kits. Ever. 

Until the paint and glue run out. :lol:

Okay...back to my Merchero. So glad Modelhaus made that one...way cool. A fun diversion after a bunch of more modern stuff.

Bob I have two of those Merchero's 60&61 glad Don & Carol made them!! I'll get around to building them someday:D.

Dennis

Bob I have two of those Merchero's 60&61 glad Don & Carol made them!! I'll get around to building them someday:D.

Dennis

There's just something about '60 Mercs that especially appeals to me. I have a couple restorable coupes, a resin wagon, and the Merchero. The Merchero is by far the easiest to finish, and I have a plan...starting with some cool Z-man wheels:

2v2uW1J5LxvKa6.jpg