Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius future kit prototypes from November, 2017 NNL Motor City...

tim boyd

If it were something from Revell, I'd be intrigued to see exactly what - since they already announced the 1Q stuff - so other than maybe showing the tooling to the updated '69 Mustang...

I'm betting on Moebius, since both Dave and SteveG have both said they're going to be showing new prototypes, so that's the confirmed new tooling that will be there.

We think alike.

I'll take either a Dodge or Plymouth with no real preference towards either one

Well, we know a '65 Plymouth AF/X is coming, haven't heard of any Dodge rumors, though something like a '63 330 or '65 Coronet AF/X would be neat.  A '71 Road Runner/GTX would be my choice for a new tool vintage Mopar..

Edited by Rob Hall

Guy's we're talking toys here....not real life problems, cuz we got plenty of those..

Thanks

1f484895129a0cefae1e7bbed2261ce6--hero-q

Luc, ye'r a kool sort.  Hate to come across as pickin' on ya.  But the problem goes a little deeper than you stating "toys" as an indisputable absolute.

To start with that much-abraded premise, sure, if you come at it from the outside angle, you don't look at things too close, it's easy to confuse model kits for Hot Wheels diecasts kids push on the floor or for the drug store R/Cs youngsters can plug 'n play - particularly when toy manufacturers have the resources to produce more accurate proportioning than you see in some model kits.  That's the casual appraisal of plastic models, the Ebay/Retail assessment, and frankly the incomplete one.

Coming from the other direction is the very definition of a scale model itself, which in the very word "scale" mandates the closest proportional miniaturization possible of a full-size subject.  There's hard math involved that a scale model is by its very definition supposed to conform to, and when a model is off by that definition, it fails in a primary objective.  It may be cleverly designed, highly detailed, and well-engineered for fit, but if it doesn't pass the sit-there-and-look-like-the-1:1 test, people are not wrong to point that out.  Trivializing things to the "toy" absolute is the favored approach of those who try to argue that it IS somehow objectionable to do so, and it's just so much misdirection to bolster a very poorly justified personal reaction to kit criticism.

Not to say YOU'RE doing that, just pointing out the most common abuse of that argument.

But the deeper issue as I see it is the appeal to relative privation. They're getting gunned down in Texas churches, Iranian missiles are aimed at Saudi Arabia, people are dying in Puerto Rico.  It's all true, all very worrying.

And absolutely off-topic to anything in this forum, at least till they change its topic. 

If somebody takes it upon himself to try and mandate how everyone should behave in an exchange as if a given manufacturer of nearly 75 years' standing will wither at the slightest dimming of unalloyed, golden-rayed praise effusive, it's not off-topic to point that out. That's about this forum, and "real life problems" are totally irrespective to such a discussion.

"Multiple versions of a new tooling.

Hmm...

‘26/‘27 turtle deck T hot rods? With period-correct drivetrain and suspension? Oh yeah. "

Matt....not this weekend, at least, but I'm pushing this one really, really hard with one of the kitmakers.  Others are doing the same. 

Recommend you (and anyone else who agrees with Matt) to let the kitmaker of your choice know of your desires now....

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

I'd love to see Revell backdate the '67 Dodge Coronet to a 1966 Coronet 500 convertible, albeit for selfish reasons. I owned the real thing from 1984 up 'til 1994. Plus, I don't think there was ever a '66 kitted. It's sort of a missing link in the "B" body Coronet kit lineup, unless you come up to the '71 thru '76. 

See, what tickles my imagination is the "all-new" tool angle  -

By way of f'rinstance, the '70 Charger is all-new tooling (and nice), as was the Stacey David Deuce kit (*cough*).  So that could be one direction, and malaiseBirds, early B-Bodies, and '20s Ford variations might fit that approach.

Then there are the all-NEW-new tools without reference to previous patterns, like the Foose truck & Caddy or the '50 Olds.

Comes to that, the single thing I most want that intersects with sales potential might be this:

4d76615c5014ac297a925b868aafcb54.jpg

One can dream.  For a few more hours, anyway. :)

Hi,

Wouldn't it be super cool if Round2 brought back the AMT Astro 1?

Man what a beauty!

Please no...at least not until mine is finished :P. Well...25/30 years ago I think I paid $20 bucks mint in box, so that's better than the $35 Round2 will likely go for.

Neat kit. Glad I had it when I saw the real car in person at Amelia Island maybe 8-10 years ago. It's still in perfect shape. The kit has some technical issues, but it's pretty good. Will be a bit tricky to get it to work properly and close up properly...even the real car has those issues.

New tooling is a good sign, depending on the subject it could be a hit. No matter what vehicle is kitted, there will be disappointed forum members who didn't get that 63 Zipper Wagon with wood panel trim like they hoped for!

Edited by mikemodeler