Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1/24 '32 Ford Roadster

In today's mail, I received Revell's McDonald's Diorama & '32 Ford Street Rod kit. Kit #7804. A very nice kit. But, I'm wondering about the history of this kit. I do know it was originally a Monogram kit. And in recent years its appeared in boxes with both the Revell and/or Monogram logos on them. I'm wondering if this kit originally appeared as Monogram's "Little Deuce" kit back in the 1960's? The more recent versions sure like they could be related to that kit.

From my understanding, the original "Little Deuce" came with a Pontiac motor. Is that correct? The present kit has a small block Chevy. If it is based on the same tool/die, when and why did they changed the engine? Again, from my understanding, the "Little Deuce" evolved into the "Son of Ford" in its next incarnation. I believe that was followed up with the "Early Iron" '32 roadster after that. And after various versions, changing mainly to different wheels, it culminated into the 1/24 scale Ford roadster offered in recent years.

Opening up the box on one I just got. I like what I'm seeing. It looks like a simple, but very nice kit. And it's interesting, on the decal sheet, there are four different decals showing playing cards with a 2 of spades over a 3 of spades, and the words "Little Deuce" under them. Is this a clue to the kit's origin? I'm guessing so.

It is indeed derived from the Little Deuce, and even though it's pretty simple, it's a nice kit and builds up to make a fine looking model.

As there's no separate chassis, it's hard to make a fenderless car, and the scaling is sorta 1/25 ish 1/24...but I like it a lot actually.

The front axle, brake backing plates, and louvered hood (if it's still in the McD kit) are particularly useful kitbash fodder.

I personally think it's the most pleasingly proportioned of all the fendered '32 Fords in these scales.

These are two other incarnations it's been through...

Image result for revell 1/24 32 ford street rod mcdonalds     Image result for revell 1/24 32 ford street rod mcdonalds

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Early Iron '32 kit was the last one with the Pontiac engine. The kit was reworked quite a bit for the yellow w/ black flames issue that first came out around 1985, give or take. It picked up the SBC then, along with the wire wheels. A few years later there was another rework with a 3-window coupe body added for a Beach Boy's Little Deuce Coupe kit. That kit is where the steelies wheels and caps originated...they've been in all issues of the roadster since the McDonald's one. Yes, those "Little Deuce" decals were a nod to the kit's origin.

Like Bill said, this has quite a few great parts in it for building a traditional rod, especially the suspension parts, with the very nice dropped I beam front(with split bones), buggy spring rear axle, and 40's Ford backing plates at all 4 corners. These parts can be made to fit the new tool Revell 32 frame with very little effort. And the roadster body itself is quite nice. 

Edited by Mr. Metallic

Interesting to see a Y-block in your model. What was the engine out of? And how much work did it to get it in there?

That's the 312 from the Monogram 1956 Thunderbird kit. Long time ago I built one for a friend who has a 1:1 replica with a 302, so I got the engine for my spares box. 

The fit is quite easy, just cut the Thunderbird bellhousing off, and glued the bellhousing and transmission that came with the '32 Ford kit, on the Scrub-o-let engine. The beauty of plastic. Try that with a real engine. 

Also, like the Y-Block for trucks has a front engine mount, I copied that and mounted the 312 to the kit's bracket. Also replaced the Thunderbird air cleaner and teapot carburetor by a Autolite and a chrome filter from the parts box. 

5115050100_c0558c674a_z.jpg'32 Ford Roadster V8 by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

5114449899_3bbc0a8c2e_z.jpg'32 Ford Roadster V8 by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

That's the 312 from the Monogram 1956 Thunderbird kit. Long time ago I built one for a friend who has a 1:1 replica with a 302, so I got the engine for my spares box. 

The fit is quite easy, just cut the Thunderbird bellhousing off, and glued the bellhousing and transmission that came with the '32 Ford kit, on the Scrub-o-let engine. The beauty of plastic. Try that with a real engine. 

:D  Actually, when a commercial adapter hasn't been available, I've often done something very similar in full-scale.

Back in about '82, I swapped a Ford 302 into a manual-gearbox Triumph TR8 by machining a 9/16" (14 mm) thick alloy engine-side flange in the shape of a Ford bellhousing, and Tig-welded it to the Triumph bellhousing (after a suitable amount had been removed from the front of the TR part). Used the Ford flywheel, drilled for the TR clutch, and machined an input shaft pilot bushing from Delrin. Ford starter bolted to the stock location and meshed with the Ford ring gear. Used the TR trans, rear mount and driveshaft, Only had to fab new front engine mounts and higher capacity radiator. Think I had to notch the rear of the oil pan and the front of the crossmember a bit too.

Not really much harder than doing a model.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I too like the 312 Tulio installed in his '32. It's nice to see something like that, rather than another small block Chevy. Don't get me wrong. I admire the good old SBC. But they've done to death in 1/24 and 1/25 scale. I love seeing the Thunderbird valve covers under the hood of another Ford. Very cool. 

Tulio, looking at the 312 in this model, it looks the Y-block is too wide to use the hood sides? Is this the case? Or did you just leave them off to show off the cool valve covers? Since I will be building mine with the SBC that comes in the kit, I have already chosen to glue the side to the top of hood. Again, as good as the SBC may be, who really cares to see another one in a Hot Rod?

• 2 weeks later...

I think this kit still has great bones.

I built this one from the yellow with black flame issue around 1989 when the only other Deuce choice was from AMT

2vkMSaqCx29seC.jpg

More recently I did this one from the blue on the box Classic Cruiser issue

2v29aruqVx29seC.jpg

I have plans for a few more. Very versatile kit IMHO

Nice builds! The mags and wide whites look great, and I like that blue.