Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- All Done, just took a bit longer than planned

Taxdude

The great thing about this board is the help that comes to you out of nowhere.  I had used a decal to simulate the Mexican seat blanket.  It looked OK.  But it didn't have any depth of texture.  But not having a better solution I decided to live with it.  Then @gasser59 offered up a better solution.  Printable fabric.  Messages went back and forth and boom.  The so much better solution.

So the original and the way better.

Seat.jpg

Better seat.jpg

• Taxdude changed the title to Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- Update 4-1 Way better blanket.
  • 1 month later...
  • Taxdude changed the title to Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- Update 6-2
On 6/3/2018 at 2:55 AM, Spex84 said:

Beautiful work! This project is one of my favorite scale '30 coupes, ever. Those roof bows look killer!

X2. tell me this is big scale. That level of detail in 1:25 is astounding.

7 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Wow, it's lookin' great so far, a lot of cool tips on this build thank you! What wheels and tires have you chosen, or is that still to be determined?

I have a set of Modelhaus Divco wheels and tires that are perfect.   Any build is always started with wheels and tires.  Many ideas have died on the vine for lack of the perfect combination.

I'm still struggling with the exhaust.  Almost all model A's have the over the frame headers.  So to be different I'm making my own headers that will then dump down inside the frame rail and exit ahead of the rear wheels. Problem is that the motor needs to be installed to make sure everything lines up correctly.  The chance of a screwup is high.

30 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

I would suggest  using a second frame and engine block for experimenting and test fitting thus saving the "good stuff" from possible damage.

Hi Tom,

Generally a good idea but with the custom engine mounts, and the slightly adjusted body to frame position that won't work.

On a different note how about, I come by after the Goodguys show so you can see the roadster?

16 hours ago, Taxdude said:

Hi Tom,

Generally a good idea but with the custom engine mounts, and the slightly adjusted body to frame position that won't work.

On a different note how about, I come by after the Goodguys show so you can see the roadster?

We would love that and look forward to it for sure,!!

• 1 month later...

And for those that might be wondering, here is a look at Fred's roadster during the Saturday morning entrance "parade" at the GoodGuys Nats this past Saturday.....he later found a superb "power parking" spot .  More detail shots in my event coverage (see link in the post in the 1/1 Car Reference Section of the Forum if interested).   And he did stop by Tom's house on the way back home on Sunday.....  Now you know.....this is just one of several reasons that Fred's '30A Coupe build in this thread is so innovative and highly detailed.....

BTW, Fred was highly involved in every step of building his Highboy.  It has many subtle tricks and innovations…..and was attracting a great deal of interest from those GoodGuys Nats spectators/participants who know Highboys inside and out.   Even better, Fred drives his hot rod all over the country.....6,000 miles on the Odo since the car was finished a couple of years back.   Go Fred!!!  

DSC 0858

DSC 0213
DSC 0965

Edited by tim boyd

On 6/4/2018 at 7:45 PM, Taxdude said:

I'm still struggling with the exhaust.  Almost all model A's have the over the frame headers.  So to be different I'm making my own headers that will then dump down inside the frame rail and exit ahead of the rear wheels. Problem is that the motor needs to be installed to make sure everything lines up correctly.  The chance of a screwup is high.

As the y-block uses an up and over exhaust manifold, how about a rams horn style header? They do make them for y-blocks and there are plenty of them available in Chevy kits. The exhaust spacing is pretty close.

Image result for y block side exhaust

• Taxdude changed the title to Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- Update Interior10-16
  • Taxdude changed the title to Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- All Done, just took a bit longer than planned