Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- All Done, just took a bit longer than planned

Taxdude

Ahead  of tax season when all building comes to a full halt I thought that I would do a quick build.  Well this went sideways quickly. 

Decided to use the bare interior panels but unchanneled them.  But regular bench seat but without the pleats.

Built the wood framing for the roof.  More difficult than I first thought to get all of the curvatures just right.

Used the 32 frame but with changes.  Model A front crossmember, quick-change rearend with transverse leaf and all assorted suspension parts.  Also scratch built the center x-member.  So yea just kept the side rails.

Engine will be a Y-Block so that will take some work and custom scratchbuilt headers and exhaust.

So basically change everything quick build.

frame 1.jpg

frame 2.jpg

frame 3.jpg

frame 4.jpg

Roof.jpg

Regular v modified.jpg

Panels.jpg

Mock up 1.jpg

Mock up 2.jpg

Edited by Taxdude

Great chassis work, I like the wood insert support. Did the wheels come in this kit ? The wheel centers look different.  

Those are  Divco milk truck wheels.  Problem is I have no idea where I got them.  They came with soft vinyl tires.  

The wood top was a bit difficult finding the right spacing fo the cross slats.

Edited by Taxdude

Sweet, this is all kinds of right! Love the new x-member, stock-style roof opening and bows, and the tall rear tires with those Kelsey Hayes high-clearance wheels. The wheels probably came from Modelhaus?? Bernard Kron would know...he's done at least one project using them.

The Y-block is going to look great in this thing.

Well it doesn't get much better than that. I look forward to seeing more of this one. The scratch work on that x-member is so clean! Here is a link to some 3d printed "divco" wheels.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QM85PWE6K/1-25-scale-18-quot-kelsey-hayes-artillery-wheels?optionId=63159613&li=marketplace

Thanks for the lead on the Divco's

That looks killer, Fred! I'm digging the pinned mounts and spring hangars. Looks solid.

*side note: the Shapeways 3D Divco's are something I made. Kinda neat to see them pop up here.

Thanks and more to come.

Those are your Divco's, very cool. 

So let me ask you about 3D printing.  Could it be possible to do a see-thru 32 Ford grill?

Thanks and more to come.

Those are your Divco's, very cool. 

So let me ask you about 3D printing.  Could it be possible to do a see-thru 32 Ford grill?

Thanks! Re: a see-through '32 grille...the best way to achieve that given the current technology is probably a photo-etch grille. Shapeways can't yet produce thin bars as narrow as deuce grille bars, without them deforming due to heat and handling.

Thanks! Re: a see-through '32 grille...the best way to achieve that given the current technology is probably a photo-etch grille. Shapeways can't yet produce thin bars as narrow as deuce grille bars, without them deforming due to heat and handling.

I had a feeling.  A PE grill is nice but to have round grill bars would be so cool.  Well I'm sure they will get there someday right after we figure out this how to fly issue

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet, this is all kinds of right! Love the new x-member, stock-style roof opening and bows, and the tall rear tires with those Kelsey Hayes high-clearance wheels. The wheels probably came from Modelhaus?? Bernard Kron would know...he's done at least one project using them.

The Y-block is going to look great in this thing.

Gorgeous build, and great style, too. Yeah, the Divcos and the tires are from Modelhaus. They made two sets, one with big 'n' littles with pie crust detail and one with the same tires all around, simple ribbed tires, like tose often seen at the dry lakes. I bought one set of each and used them both, I still have the ribbed tires which I'm saving for a dry lakes build. Most Monogram 1/24th tires, like the ones from the '37 Ford Delivery Van, fit perfectly. Like everyone else regarding things Modelhaus I wish I'd bought more. Chris, what are you're Divcos made to fit, tire wise? They look terrific. Your line of parts it's rapidly becoming formidable. You are on my wish list for 2018....

Edited by Bernard Kron

• Taxdude changed the title to Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- All Done, just took a bit longer than planned