Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- All Done, just took a bit longer than planned

Taxdude

On 12/5/2017 at 7:16 AM, Joca said:

Thank you for the infos Fred. In my previous post I call you Chris, my sincere apologies for my fault. 

Best regards.

I have contacted my lawyer and he said to accept your apology.  The Hatfields and McCoys have yet to chime in....

11 hours ago, Taxdude said:

I have contacted my lawyer and he said to accept your apology.  The Hatfields and McCoys have yet to chime in....

Oh my...The Hatfields and McCoys are involved ? Now I need to clean up and reload my Colt and Winchester, saddle up "Smokey" and run away...:D

10 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Wow. I use a bit of square stock and call it good. That is impressive.

Since I was changing the kit engine to a Y-block changes needed to be made.  Also the engine is set back a bit since it is a touch bigger.  So totally re-engineered motor mounts.  But what a PITA.  Getting all of the angles just right was very frustrating. 

However this is what I find truly enjoyable about building.  It is also why I don't finish very many.

• 2 weeks later...

So how much detail is too much?  I spent a few minutes today using a 0.3mm drill to drill out the base of carbs for mounting hardware.  This is for the visible mounting posts.  So do I do the same for the posts under the float bowl?   This is a detail that most will never see.  The extra portion of the mounting stud will be cut off.

It is just fun to do but I think I'll do the other ones.

Man close-up pics are not kind to those carbs.

carbs.jpg

• Taxdude changed the title to Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- Update 12-31-17 Little tiny carb studs

Some work on the dashboard.    I filled the gauge opening with a piece of .030 sheet stock, still needs final sanding. Decided that the spacing between the gauges would be .030.  Using a .097 punch the four holes were...well punched.  The endgame here is that I wanted the gauges to be below the surface and the trim rings flush.  To achieve this I punched out 4 disks, using a .087 punch from .010 stock and then the gauge faces, Model Car Garage, were epoxied to them (and yes the volts is backward, drats).  Total size .015.  I little fine tunning around the perimeter of each face and they drop right into the holes.  The bar across the back sets the correct depth.

The tach cup is a piece of aluminum tubing that has been slightly expanded at the opening to accept the gauge face and then polished.  It will then be mounted on the steering column.  can't decide on a steering wheel.   Maybe a 40 Ford.

The next thing to sort out is the windshield frame.  I want the windshield to be kicked out at the bottom.  To this, the frame is way to thick and a new piece of glass needs to be cut.  I haven't decided if the frame can be sanded to half its width and then a lip installed to hold the glass or it a whole new frame scratch-built with a recessed area to accept the glass.  Also, need to make the 2 hinges that hold the windshield out.  

At some point, big progress will be made. 

Quick build fail.

20180108_203500.jpg

20180108_203726.jpg

• Taxdude changed the title to Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- Update 1-10-18 Dashboard

I have yet to put any finishes on this build.

Maybe tomorrow I'll do the Mexican blanket seat cover (Scale Motor Sports decals).  Just need to figure out a way to make it look bunched up or like someone sat in the driver's seat spot.

I'm open to any ideas.

And go! 

• 1 month later...

With very few free minutes to work very little gets done.  But the body is in prime and just needs to be sanded and painted.  The engine is painted and the trans just needs to be airbrushed with some Alclad.

Here are some of the smaller parts waiting for a home.

The bench seat Mexican blanket decal was a pita.  It broke and ripped multiple times.  I put it back together as best as possible.

intake.jpg

rearend.jpg

Seat.jpg

tailights.jpg

shocks.jpg

door panels.jpg

• Taxdude changed the title to Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- Update 3-4-18 parts is parts

That would be absolutely outstanding. due to a third major surgery on my right knee I can no longer walk well enough to attend a good guys event as in the past plus Karen has been diagnosed with COPD ,congestive heart failure and is now on medical oxygen full time. I think our traveling days are going to be very limited for the for seeable future. I look forward to watching the future posts on the Coupe project after tax season is finally over.

Have a great week!

Tom

Wow, I didn't see this build until now. I'm glad I did though, it looks fantastic. All of the small details that you're adding are improving the look of this kit a lot. Keep up the good work, I'm sure this will be a masterpiece when it's done.

• Taxdude changed the title to Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- All Done, just took a bit longer than planned