Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 75 Datsun Pickup 3d printed Camper Shell

Some of you might have been aware on the "Big Scale" board of me posting some images of some 1:8 bodies I'm making.  Hot off the press are these "Topper" shells for the MPC Datsun kit that just came out.  There will be a full and window version soon to be a 3d print. Plan is to clean them up and cast them in resin.   Any other trucks needing a camper top?  Thoughts welcome! 

Render_open-vi.jpgRender_closed-vi.jpg

Good idea...Do you have a kit in mind?  There was a Ford guy that mentioned something similar to the bump kits that came out last year.  Sort of that old school style camper right?

Mike

Mike...if one can find a 73 Chevy sales brochure one their trucks it shows the Blazer camper one...(I have one somewhere ?)  Any 60s/70s camping trailer would be very cool to have available in my opinion there a neglected item to build in plastic kits.  Another is a scale 60s/70s phone booth for dioramas.  Me..id welcome campers to add to our builds and collections.

Mike...if one can find a 73 Chevy sales brochure one their trucks it shows the Blazer camper one...(I have one somewhere ?)  Any 60s/70s camping trailer would be very cool to have available in my opinion there a neglected item to build in plastic kits.  Another is a scale 60s/70s phone booth for dioramas.  Me..id welcome campers to add to our builds and collections.

All good ideas.  I'll do some research on that.  I actually saw some toys at Toys R Us with that era trailer.  

yes Mike, a Blazer Chalet or GMC Casa Grande camper would be super cool.

i'd buy a bunch...

download_(1)_opt.thumb.jpg.5d89b7d074a87download_opt.thumb.jpg.a8c0e7dea0d1ea924

Yep Dan that is it...very cool and very rare truck...the top has too many other possibilities too.

Mike...another idea could be a raised camper roof for van kits like the old AMT Chevy Open Road Mini Motorhome kit had...I have one from my dads old collection missing the top parts and interior camper goodies.

AOK....Big help for me guys is getting actual measurements.  I have both long and short beds for the bumpsides so the measurements are at hand.  Do you guys have the beds for the chevy's and if you do could you send the pics with measurements?

Thanks

.... Do you guys have the beds for the chevy's and if you do could you send the pics with measurements?

To do the camper units for the Chalet / Casa Grande in proper factory stock fashion, you'd first have to figure out which of the 3 Blazer kits are scaled right in order to figure out what exact size you want to make the camper, and then you'd have to get measurements out the whazoo to get the whole thing right, which includes all the interior bits, and you'd have to also include a correct vintage '76-'77 Chevy / GMC grille. Then you'd have to do the stripe / logo decals, and that would involve clever measuring to make them go around the compound curves onto the back. Plus you'd need the rear bumper bracket extensions and the spare carrier for the front bumper. And then there's the decision of what to do about the pop-up roof - functional scissors lift? Static raised roof with stiff 'canvas' sides and a separate top-down roof panel? These would also need instructions on which paint to select for the assorted factory colors.

I owned Chalet #1747 (had to sell it due to a lack of cash to keep it) and I'm the current caretaker of the old BlazerChalet website. Trust me on this, a camper unit to go with the MPC/Revell/Monogram kits would be a major kit effort. But I could probably steer you toward the nearest person I know of who owns one of these if you want to do the pile of measurements.

...if one can find a 73 Chevy sales brochure one their trucks it shows the Blazer camper one...

They were '76 - '77s only. Brochure links: '76 Blazer Chalet / '76 GMC Jimmy Casa Grande / '77 Chev version / '77 GMC. For some odd reason, GM showed most of these without the front spare carrier, but to the best of my knowledge, all of these left the dealership with the spare on the front - there is no good place to store it inside the camper. Only one color combination (sort of) for the '76s, and 6 for the '77s.

Thanks for the info ... id bet they were top heavy.  

Anytime. Top heavy, yes, a bit, but the heaviest stuff such as the fridge, steel dinette frame & driver's side cabinets were at bedrail level or below. Still heavy overall, around an additional 800lbs to what was a half ton truck. Many of these rigs' owners put on rear air bags or overload springs to help out, some converted 'em to 3/4 ton.

...I think there cool but id bet they were top heavy.  

I worked at a car dealership in the early '80's and we took one in on trade. Cool vehicle but was very rusty (as most mid 70's GM trucks were!) and yes, it was a weird ride and felt top heavy. I believe one of the body shop guys bought it to tow his fishing boat and reworked the sheetmetal and threw a quick paint job on it, the camper was slightly trashed but he didn't care!

I worked at a car dealership in the early '80's and we took one in on trade. Cool vehicle but was very rusty (as most mid 70's GM trucks were!) and yes, it was a weird ride and felt top heavy. I believe one of the body shop guys bought it to tow his fishing boat and reworked the sheetmetal and threw a quick paint job on it, the camper was slightly trashed but he didn't care!

Tell me about it Mike...we own a 84 Chevy 4x4 long bed with only 60,000. miles on it...bed is history with rot..shame.

The 3d printed Datsun 620 and 720 shells have arrived and I wanted to share them with you.  The surface came out very nice on the higher end print cost.  The printed material was the "Frosted Detail" which will require very minimal cleanup compared to the "Strong Flexible Polish"  My current plan is to make a mold for each one and cast them in resin.

The third image is the shells sitting on the 720 "Targa" version.

IMG_4261-vi.jpg

IMG_4253-vi.jpg

IMG_4280-vi.jpg