Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Are Pee You -updated 11/25/17 -in primer

Rocking Rodney Rat

I got inspired by this Thom Taylor drawing KK sent me and decided it would make a good jumping off point for a roadster pickup build. So I started gathering parts. The body is from the recently reissued Monogram Blue Bandito kit. The wire wheels are from the Revell '32 sedan...(I know some of you purists (ADL) will howl about the big radial rear meats but I kinda like 'em)...other bits and pieces from here and there (many from the Revell Model A kits). The pickup bed will be scratched together. I'm waiting for the 3D printed Frenzel blower I acquired to arrive... -RRR

IMG_2270.JPG

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

Hear that sound? That's me, howling :D

Looks like a great start, looking forward to watching the project progress!

*cough* RepMinCo's wire wheels and tall/taller firestones would match the drawing quite nicely...hehe.

Yes, these RMCM wires definitely fit the pic and I did consider using them, but a seriously dropped front axle would be needed to get the car close to the earth. Besides they're not chrome and I have a pile of the Revell wires, I don't think I've ever used them before... -RRR

IMG_2271.JPG

Should I be worried about that? I've never had that happen before... -RRR

takes a few years...

I saw it evidenced on a Car Model cover car, a funny car (The Vulture) made an appearance in 2016 at DSC12 on the display only table, tire/rim melt was plainly evident (keep in mind this is over 40 years old and not my model).

IMG_5212-crop.thumb.JPG.4a38a77da7dd6f10

if it's a concern, a coat of "future" floor polish between the rim and tire has been postulated to resolve this problem, another fix may be BMF the rim where it will touch the tire.

I realized that if I want to get this thing sitting low, I'd need to make some changes to the front suspension.  I grabbed the axle/spring assembly from the Slingster dragster kit, z'd the frame and fabbed up a suicide perch....much better....next up, channeling the body over the frame and a subtle body mod...stay tuned...  -RRR

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2287.JPG

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

Hear that sound? That's me, howling :D

Looks like a great start, looking forward to watching the project progress!

*cough* RepMinCo's wire wheels and tall/taller firestones would match the drawing quite nicely...hehe.

RRR, There's a set of these stacked in the back of the K&R Kustoms+Rods Woodstock Shop that could be crated & shipped this week!?. -KK

5a0ae33323443_33_coupe_wires_and_tires_W

Thanks, KK, but those tires are way too tall for this project. 

I cut off the back section of the body, made a slightly narrower replacement piece out of evergreen stock, I like the mod, makes the body a tad less trapezoidal shaped...more streamlined, subtle, I know... I will be mounting the bed to the back of the cab and without the stamping detail it will make a cleaner mount... -RRR

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG