Model Cars Magazine Forum

Golden Commandos 1965 Plymouth

afxmustang

Looks like I'll need to buy one from eBay. All Hobby Shops seem to ask for some ridicullous shipping prices to Finland, but on eBay the shipping cost seems to be $25, which is something I can live with. Some company in the internet wanted $50 for shipping to Finland?! :blink::D

41 minutes ago, W-409 said:

Looks like I'll need to buy one from eBay. All Hobby Shops seem to ask for some ridicullous shipping prices to Finland, but on eBay the shipping cost seems to be $25, which is something I can live with. Some company in the internet wanted $50 for shipping to Finland?! :blink::D

Well the only way to get tracked shipment overseas for a U.S. vendor are of course the most expensive options. The USPS option actually involves FedEx once it's outside of the country and the last I checked the prices started at $30 for an 8x11 mailer envelope.

Well, tracking is always a bonus, but I'm completely fine without tracking as well. I've ordered bunch of stuff from The US before and all of the packages have showed up just fine. So, I'm not ready to pay huge amounts of shipping costs just for the tracking. But even with the tracking, $50 is just unreal....:P

Edit: My order was just shipped and I got a tracking code. $25 Shipping, not so bad.

Edited by W-409

10 hours ago, W-409 said:

Well, tracking is always a bonus, but I'm completely fine without tracking as well. I've ordered bunch of stuff from The US before and all of the packages have showed up just fine. So, I'm not ready to pay huge amounts of shipping costs just for the tracking. But even with the tracking, $50 is just unreal....:P

Edit: My order was just shipped and I got a tracking code. $25 Shipping, not so bad.

More than likely, it will cease to track once it leaves the U.S.  The USPS only has reciprocal tracking with a few places.  I had parts coming from the Czech Republic and the Ukraine.  The Ukraine one stopped tracking once it left the country, and the Czech Republic one never tracked at all ever.  USPS tracking doesn't even function into Canada unless you pay for the upcharge shipping.  While I understand YOU don't care, a lot of people pull the "Oh I never got my package" BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH and eBay tends to screw over the seller in those occasions, so many have either given up shipping out of the U.S. or INSIST on using the expensive tracked USPS -> FedEx method.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my copy as well, a bit over $50 shipped, from eBay. Big thumbs up for the seller. The package was shipped immediately after my payment and the tracking worked until the end! But as usual, it took less time for the package to travel from USA to Finland than what it took to travel from Customs to my nearest post office... And those are not far away from each others...:D

The kit is very nice. Except that my body is warped pretty much, the front fenders and roof need to be fixed at least. If I can straighten those out, then I can see if it's also warped from some other areas... Hopefully I can fix it, otherwise this will be an expensive parts kit....

8 hours ago, W-409 said:

I just got my copy as well, a bit over $50 shipped, from eBay. Big thumbs up for the seller. The package was shipped immediately after my payment and the tracking worked until the end! But as usual, it took less time for the package to travel from USA to Finland than what it took to travel from Customs to my nearest post office... And those are not far away from each others...:D

The kit is very nice. Except that my body is warped pretty much, the front fenders and roof need to be fixed at least. If I can straighten those out, then I can see if it's also warped from some other areas... Hopefully I can fix it, otherwise this will be an expensive parts kit....

Thats really disappointing when you pay the big bucks to import a new kit and find a warped body or missing parts for that matter. I've just got the California Flash and the body is perfect but my earlier Belvedere  is all out of shape.

There is no real option of getting replacement parts either when you are in another country as I've found the manufactures deafen you with their silence.

4 hours ago, Roncla said:

Thats really disappointing when you pay the big bucks to import a new kit and find a warped body or missing parts for that matter. I've just got the California Flash and the body is perfect but my earlier Belvedere  is all out of shape.

There is no real option of getting replacement parts either when you are in another country as I've found the manufactures deafen you with their silence.

I agree with that. And even though I could get a new replacement body, I should pay the shipping for that one. So instead of trying to get one, I guess my only real choice is to try and fix the body that I have now. I also have the Melrose Missile kit and it has a warped body as well, but it's luckily not as bad as this one, but then again my regular Belvedere kit has a perfect body in it.

3 hours ago, W-409 said:

I agree with that. And even though I could get a new replacement body, I should pay the shipping for that one. So instead of trying to get one, I guess my only real choice is to try and fix the body that I have now. I also have the Melrose Missile kit and it has a warped body as well, but it's luckily not as bad as this one, but then again my regular Belvedere kit has a perfect body in it.

Moebius kits are really  a lucky dip as to whether you get a good body or a bad one  from my experience. There is no shortage of disgruntled buyers out there on other forums and Youtube who have similar issues with the bodies.

Its a shame because I think they are making some great kits but are being let down with  a lack of commitment to quality control.

23 hours ago, W-409 said:

Niko the body on my 65 Belvedere was warped really bad, but it's definitely fixable, it's normally the front that's twisted, I put my body in a jug of hot water for about 10 seconds, corrected the twist and then plunged it straight into very cold water to set it, it worked perfect for me....although I do agree that you shouldn't have to do this with a new kit !! 

Edited by Mr Stock

11 hours ago, Roncla said:

Moebius kits are really  a lucky dip as to whether you get a good body or a bad one  from my experience. There is no shortage of disgruntled buyers out there on other forums and Youtube who have similar issues with the bodies.

Its a shame because I think they are making some great kits but are being let down with  a lack of commitment to quality control.

You're right on that! Luckily the only warped bodies that I've heard of are on these '65 Plymouth kits, as I have a couple of Hudson Hornets, Chrysler C300s, Ford Pickups and a '61 Pontiac which have correct shape bodies. Of course the problem should be fixed somehow as far as future kits go.

5 hours ago, Mr Stock said:

Niko the body on my 65 Belvedere was warped really bad, but it's definitely fixable, it's normally the front that's twisted, I put my body in a jug of hot water for about 10 seconds, corrected the twist and then plunged it straight into very cold water to set it, it worked perfect for me....although I do agree that you shouldn't have to do this with a new kit !! 

Thanks, this was just the info I needed! What do you mean with hot water, just "a bit hot" or nearly boiling? ...Or something in between?

15 hours ago, W-409 said:

Thanks, this was just the info I needed! What do you mean with hot water, just "a bit hot" or nearly boiling? ...Or something in between?

I used boiling water from a kettle, you don't need to hold it in the water for too long !

Exactly, Gary, because if you do, you wind up with the mess I got trying to fix a warp!  Mighta gotten a replacement for the factory twist, but the pretzel I ended up with was all my doing.

Eh, may cross-pollinate the remainder of that kit with one of the street Belvederes anyway.

I really like this series of kits; most new Moebius kits since the Hudsons and Chryslers appear to have had an antecedent in a previous AMT kit (don't even try to deny the nearly interchangeable Pontiac frames or that the Comet front suspension and firewall are VERY similar to those parts in the AMT '66 Fairlane/Comet).  Not so, these Plymouths, crisply engraved, very nicely finished in the molds, distinct and vastly improved over any '64-'65 B body offered before. 

Faint door lines and a slight crown in the windshield are nits I'll happily deal with in exchange.  All subsequent Moebius kits should be finished to this standard.

(and better processed for body warps, please.)

30 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

most new Moebius kits since the Hudsons and Chryslers appear to have had an antecedent in a previous AMT kit (don't even try to deny the nearly interchangeable Pontiac frames or that the Comet front suspension and firewall are VERY similar to those parts in the AMT '66 Fairlane/Comet)

Shared designer, perhaps?