Model Cars Magazine Forum

Golden Commandos 1965 Plymouth

afxmustang

Hope this is not old news. Did a search and didn't find anything. Saw a photo on a Facebook drag racing group of a Golden Commandos 1965 Plymouth Belvedere. Photo was cropped but it appeared to be a kit box. It said Coming Soon. The poster was involved with the team. I asked if it was a model and he said yes. I assume it will be the same as the Melrose Missile. Model King perhaps.

According to Dave Metzner at Moebius, this is a highly limited release....around 1600 made and the Golden Commandos "team" has grabbed some of the production for their own use.  Dave's advice,,,if you see one, buy it, because you probably will not see another, and there are not plans for additional kits to be run....

Here's the kit and model as displayed at the Moebius booth at the NNL Motor City earlier today....TIM DSC 0942

DSC 0950

Sorry to read about the limited production. That does nothing for the hobby and nothing for the manufacturer's reputation.

Other than it drives the demand up ( aka price ) to the limits.  And adds fuel to the fire for the feeding frenzy

Not a real loss.  I am sure someone sells the decals to do this drag car.

I would like to have one, but am not aware of anyone doing the decals for this particular car.  If they are please let me know

Ive already talked to my primary local hobby shop and he cant get Model King kits. So I may stop by my secondary LHS to ck there the one day this week  .

The side graphics on this version seem really simplified when compared to the '64 GC Plymouth or the '65 AF/X GC Plymouth.  

ml-carrico64commando.jpg

439c601ff31e93b31209d5513350b065.jpg

The car may have been rushed into service.  One of the Ramchargers' cars was pieced together quickly after another one was wrecked; the book about them describes how they'd added their trademark red stripes one at a time, with spray cans.

This Plymouth is probably a lot like the one already issued (Melrose Missile) in that it probably didn't exist too long in the version depicted in the kit.  I'll wait for the AWB versions...

The markings in the kit are correct and accurate!

The decals were developed using photos of the actual car provided to us by Golden Commandos.

This car had a very short career - it only ran one event then Chrysler took it back and made an AWB car out of it!

Edited by Dave Metzner

Is there any info when it should be available? Maybe not an exact date, but are we talking about days/weeks/months? Just asking so that I'm ready to buy one when it's available... You can never have too many Super Stock kits.:P

Correct, this car was very short lived.

Basically thrown together to compete at I think the Winternationals .( not 100% sure of the race )  then pulled down and it became the Altered wheelbase car via Ambelwagon

Limited editions are for speculators and they won't be built which is too bad.

Mine will be built I assure you.

Edited by gtx6970

According to Dave Metzner at Moebius, this is a highly limited release....around 1600 made and the Golden Commandos "team" has grabbed some of the production for their own use.  Dave's advice,,,if you see one, buy it, because you probably will not see another, and there are not plans for additional kits to be run....

If there is a demand for the kit, why the limited run? Yeah, the ebay prices will get stupid, but that can't be the point for the manufacturer.

This is a small production run by Model King, geared to sell out quickly and not result in a bunch of leftover kits for either the manufacturer or the retailer.  Dave's heads-up is simply to let everyone know that this is a one-time run, and if you want one, buy it when you see it; don't hesitate because it may not be available weeks or months later. 

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

The manufacturers themselves can overproduce something every so often, resulting in the overage being dumped to a closeout store.  Guys like Dave, who commission these kits and commit themselves to buying the entire production run, can't afford to let that happen.  For them, the profit is tied up in the last few hundred kits sold.  If they fall into a slow seller, there goes the profit.

• 2 weeks later...