Model Cars Magazine Forum

be honest

ya know i think about all the models i`ve put together  and  i don`t know if there is  2 that  if it were A REAL VEHICLE could it drive down the road  with out breaking down  - question is how many of you can honestly say  all your models would  drive  great  if it was a  REAL VEHICLE - well at least i was honest 

I build models pretty much as if they were real. Things like realistic ride height, enough room inside front wheel housings to steer, correct suspension design for the most part, correct clearances between moving and non-moving parts...that kind of stuff...I get pretty close to right because after almost 50 years of building real stuff that can't break down, that's just the way I approach models.

There's a limit to how close you can approach absolute scale fidelity in smaller scales like 1/24-1/25, but for the most part, you could measure my models and scale them up...and they'd be pretty damm close.

Engineers and designers often use scale models to test ideas and component arrangements, and that wouldn't work, or have any value as a design-evaluation tool, if the concept of "scale and functionally correct" wasn't followed pretty closely.

I try to make all mine miniatures of something that would actually work in real life. In fact, more often than not, I try to build them so they'd be suitable for "daily driver" use. (Every now and then I do build a straight-up, full-on street fighter, though.) 

I'm a big believer in the proper stance and wheel placement in a model. Nothing drives me crazier than to mock up a model, and it sits too high or the wheels are sticking out too far. I've seen very nice build ups of models at shows and while nice, the stance can be a turn off.

It's one of the MAJOR reasons I never paint the body till I know that things are fitting well, and the model sits correctly (as best as I can make it). Painting is the last thing I do as it gives me plenty of time to "rehearse" how to get the chassis and interior in place without a lot of drama, and to make tweaks and changes where necessary to avoid surprises at the end.

As far as "working" like the 1:1.........well some of the detailing I've done in the past speaks for itself! :D

Not much into that anymore, but I do like things to be "in scale" and not appear overdone. Glass fitment is another biggie for me. Real cars don't have huge gaps around their glass frames (A or C pillars).

You'd never be able to drive a car with the gaps so huge in the glass, it's blowing the wig off of your girlfriends head! ^_^

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "not breaking down" but I'm fairly confident that being primarily a factory stock builder myself, most of my models would operate like a new stock 1:1 would.

Steve

I agree with Steve.  Most my builds are factory stock but not all are.  Still I try to be or look realistic as possible unless I get a wild idea for a build..LOL..

I took a bunch of heat here a while back for pointing out that, if assembled out of the box, there would be no way to sit in the driver's seat of the AMT Tee Vee dune buggy. And, if the top were up, it would be virtually impossible to get into the car from either side. 

A little bit of both.  Sometimes I leave parts and pieces out or don't bother painting them because they will never be seen.  Other times I just go whole hog and build it in great detail.  I suppose it depends on how much I like a subject.  If I like it a lot, I enjoy the research and then try to get it dead nuts on.  I it is something I like the look of but not that interested in what went into it, then I am less likely to do more than build a curb side plus.  In short, it is all about what I am interested in versus what I am passionate about.  Most often I find that  I am passionate about things that fly and things that race.  The first one is passionate the second one is not.

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00058.JPG.jpg

Edited by Pete J.