Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Spray Can seeping, anyone else have this happen?

Yes have had it happen several times and always with Testors cans. It has happened with cans laying on their sides and with some standing up,  I've also had a couple of duplicolor cans  do the same think but the Testors cans appear to fail had a higher rate. I've never had it happen with a Tamiya can.

All cans are kept indoors in my model room at normal room temps.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:33 AM, ZTony8 said:

I have a few cans of Testor paint that have leaked. Odd that propellant should harden. I always thought it might be the binder in the paint. Live and learn.

The "expert lady" who said that propellant was hardening was full of it.  You are correct in stating that it is the binder (clear resin in the liquid paint). Maybe she meant to say "binder"?  Anyway, propellant is a gas, usually propane, so it does not harden and turn into a transparent yellow resin.   The leaky cans are usually due to a tiny void opening in seam where the side of the can is attached to the bottom.  Since the can sits upright, the liquid (under pressure) will slowly seep out and harden.  If the propellant was leaking, it would invisibly escape from the top of the can (usually from the valve).

On March 30, 2019 at 10:29 PM, robertw said:

Yes have had it happen several times and always with Testors cans. It has happened with cans laying on their sides and with some standing up,  I've also had a couple of duplicolor cans  do the same think but the Testors cans appear to fail had a higher rate. I've never had it happen with a Tamiya can.

All cans are kept indoors in my model room at normal room temps.

I have had several Testors cans do it and not very old cans. Only Testors lacquers and one coat lacquers. I have 20 year old Testors enamel that's fine.  So far no Tamiya, Krylon, or Rustolium has give me any trouble. I will order Testors as I use it from now on. I keep my paint inside and most is in a storage bin..

I have had Tamiya sprays do the same.3 cans,one color. Flo.red.They all leaked at the juncture of the side seam and bottom lid.

This area is known as "overlap".My guess is they leak due to not enough sealant compound in this area.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:36 AM, Rodent said:

They did offer me free paint (which I haven't taken advantage of yet). Maybe everyone should contact them with photos of their seeping cans.

Well, if a leak develops in that area then the propellant will simply escape, and the paint won't spray.

I grabbed a can of the One Coat (non One Coat) bronze and I noticed it was starting to seep out of the upper seam! I sprayed it out anyway and after a few moments the paint started spraying out with more pressure and went on fine.