Model Cars Magazine Forum

need to understand (( Update 11/15 ))

Is there a 3rd dimension or a portal, like when you drop a chrome water pump for a caddy, and you spend 3 days crawling on the floor with a flashlight, looking under, in, on, and around every square inch,,  And the water pump vanished,  Like between the time

I dropped it, to the floor, it went through some type of time warp.  And is now floating around in a 3rd dimension,  Is this a newton's law,  or do others have this problem to?   So..now I need a water pump for a AMT Cadillac V8, from the ed roth outlaw,,,,,,,,

(( correction,,, its a revell,,,Paint vapors,,,)),

P.S. it a concert floor...?

Update..   tried some of you'll ideas.  still have not found it..   put duct tape on my shoes backwards,, walk back and forth, no luck.. its chrome..a flashlight should see it??  questioned my wife....That was a bad bad idea...don't do that guys...

( update 11/15)  Never believe were it was found,, Paul in Indiana found it, some how a bird drop it off there,,, Thank you very much Paul............................a big star by your name

Edited by rel14

Don't worry, someone in that other dimension when they realize that they don't need it, will throw it back to you! At least that's what I've always been told............... :P

All kidding aside, I've always wondered about that too! I could swear I've heard the thing hit the wall and the floor, and could even zero in on where it SHOULD be, but darn of I could find it.

Yup, there's gotta be another dimension!

You will find the part--about 20 minutes after someone takes pity on you and sends you one from a mint, unbuilt kit. 

If the kit's still in production, you will find the part about 20 minutes after you get home from going out to buy a new one. 

The only other thing you can do is forget about it, and drive on with some other project. Then, lose a part from THAT. While looking for the second part, you will magically find the first. But not the second, until you lose a third. And so on. 

The Styrene Gods demand their sacrifice, and must be appeased! 

Do not ask me how I know these things. 

Edited by Snake45

If a photo-etched carb linkage suddenly appears in your workshop, it's mine. It got crossed in the dimensions.  Will keep an eye out for your fuel pump.

Thought I had left the Carpet Monster behind when I moved into a house with a concrete-floored basement.  Nope, not a bit of difference. Except now the parts just hit the floor and bounce into that other dimension.

Once dropped a headlight lens on the carpet. Looked for it about a half an hour before giving up. About a week or two later just happened to look down at the carpet and there it was. Dug out the kit it went to and immediately glued it in before it could escape again. Thanks to whoever sent it back.

Believe it or not but I lost the front tire from the revell sox and Martin kit and it's be two years and I still haven't found it. I also lost 1/2 of a 302 engine block for the revell 70 mach1 2in1 kit and found it about 6 months later. I also lost a razor blade and haven't found it. 

Edited by 426 pack

A few years ago, I bought a Jo-Han '63 Cadillac kit on eBay.  It's unbuilt but has a problem typical with those kits: the tip of one of the fins (above the taillight) was broken off.  I found the piece in the box, was holding it against the body with a pair of tweezers...ping!  Off into Carpet Land.  That thing didn't survive for fifty years only for some idiot (me) to lose it...so the search began.  It took three hours, but I found it.

When I built the Monogram Mercedes SL in my avatar photo some years ago I had managed to get hold of two mirrors for it (not sure what kit they came from but I had one left and one right hand mirror that looked correct). I attached the driversside mirror and was then going to attach the passengerside one. I had it between my fingers and it dropped to the floor. I have never found it, I built the Mercedes in 2013.

Seriously...do you have a small vacuum that uses a hose?

Place a sock (with no holes) over the outside of the hose end and tape it in place, leaving about four inches of the sock dangling off the end. Turn the vac on, which will suck the loose end of the sock into the inside of the hose; the sock now acts as a filter, catching (hopefully) parts that are in the area being vacuumed.

Good luck.

Have you checked your refrigerator? Not too many know this but theirs a spot directly connecting most areas of your floor to the wnd shelf of your refrigerator. Most household electronic remotes are reserved for the 1st shelf, and the 3rd is reserved for socks. Don't even get me started on the link between the crack in your car where the seat meets the center console and the silverware tub in your dishwasher

I think this has happened to everybody at one or a hundred times in life. I have a carpeted model room with a couple of office type plastic carpet covers under the desk. Sometimes listening to the part ricochet off the desk and on the floor gives me an idea of where to start looking. Seriously what I have found that works for me is to get a flash light and I lay down on the floor. By shining the light across the floor, even the carpet I can usually find the part quickly before I think it's knap time while I'm down there.  Give it a try.  

Have you checked your refrigerator? Not too many know this but theirs a spot directly connecting most areas of your floor to the wnd shelf of your refrigerator. Most household electronic remotes are reserved for the 1st shelf, and the 3rd is reserved for socks. Don't even get me started on the link between the crack in your car where the seat meets the center console and the silverware tub in your dishwasher

I once lost the steering wheel of a '68 Mustang. I found it about 6 months later in the hinge of the door of the microwave. :blink:

No, I have absolutely no idea.