Model Cars Magazine Forum

Images from the Moebius booth at NNL Motor City, including the two new Novas...

tim boyd

From earlier today, images of the Moebius display.  The two new Novas and '65/'66 F-Series pickups are 3D printed from CAD files, they have not been tooled yet so there is no official announcement date.  24 images in total at this link

Dave Metzner emphasized that there is further refinement underway - including a new roof panel for the pickups with added curvature, and a repositioned and reshaped rear window on the back of the cab, both applicable to the 1965/1966 F-Series.  

Three images below are the first takes of the 1965 Chevy II two door sedan Gasser.   

More NNL Motor City photos will be posted tonight - some really cool models on the table this time.   TIM 

DSC 0928

DSC 0939

DSC 0940

Thanks for the pics Tim! Looking forward to the Chevy II's!

I got a question for you............

Will the Chevy II kits (particularly the '64) include a six cylinder engine? It'll be nice to have another Chevy six available from this era instead of having to raid the Trumpeter kit for one, or the AMT '60 Chevy kit.

I hope it loses the wipers. The front wheels look terrible. The cut outs need to be larger.

Looking at it and what I have started....guess if I ever find the project, it will be parted out to other possible projects. Of course, this kit will be issued before I find what I started.

Thanks for the pics Tim! Looking forward to the Chevy II's!

I got a question for you............

Will the Chevy II kits (particularly the '64) include a six cylinder engine? It'll be nice to have another Chevy six available from this era instead of having to raid the Trumpeter kit for one, or the AMT '60 Chevy kit.

Bill.....my understanding is that both kits feature a 283/327 V8.....TIM  

Yes it would be nice. But lets face it, us big rig builders are the minority in the hobby. Maybe next year....

Yes we are unfortunately Anthony, but I would be much more inclined to purchase a new modern truck or trailer by the case than I would any of the boredom that Moebius has been putting out otherwise. The only non big rig subject I have bought that Moebius has produced is the original issue of the Hudson Hornet because it has been the only car kit that they have issued that I have even a slight interest in. A little breakdown by the numbers just to show others that think the big rig builders shouldn't deserve a little of the new subject pie as well, here is a little example of how I have spent my money when it comes to Moebius kits:

1 x Hudson Hornet approximately $20

2 x International Lonestar approximately $50 each

2 x Great Dane Smoothside 53 foot trailers approximately $50 each

3 x Great Dane 53 foot trailers approximately $50 each

4 x Big Rig Wheel & Tire set approximately $15 each

Hmmmmm......over $400 in Moebius' big rig offerings compared to $20 for the one car kit of theirs I have....that should prove what Moebius needs to have more of to get my money. Also, other than big rigs I do build cars as well, but nothing Moebius has produced since the Hornet are subjects I have absolutely no interest in! 

Love the gasser .The suspension,blower,injectors and scoop all look very promising and I’m digging the fact it’s a sedan. One small detail  (that i’m hoping will be corrected) is the drip rails and windows should have a slight curvature . Oh and please lose the windshield wipers. ?

It would be nice if Moebius would do something more in their big rig line instead of all this boring stuff. 

I can't think of a "big rig" they could do that wouldn't bore the snot out of me. This is the car section. If I'm not mistaken, there's a truck section on this board too for your interests. :rolleyes:

And I happen to like the Chevy IIs. I'll be buying at least one of each, and probably multiples if they're halfway decent at all. 

For those of you who are commenting on the body contours of the mock-ups of the Nova and Chevy II

Please NOTE those mock-ups have been reviewed and a list of corrections have been sent to the factory. 

We don't grow a second full set of mock-ups for corrections to be made after we see them. Ususally we review mock-ups and send a list of corrections that are made to 3D files.  On occasion we may do grow parts a second time. In the case of the nova / Chevy II we just made corrections in 3D files. We chose to show the mock-ups becaus it's pretty difficult to display the 3D file

I appreciate the critiques but think you all should know that those mock-ups are NOT the final product. more like an intermediate step to a final item.

For those of you who are commenting on the body contours of the mock-ups of the Nova and Chevy II

Please NOTE those mock-ups have been reviewed and a list of corrections have been sent to the factory. 

We don't grow a second full set of mock-ups for corrections to be made after we see them. Ususally we review mock-ups and send a list of corrections that are made to 3D files.  On occasion we may do grow parts a second time. In the case of the nova / Chevy II we just made corrections in 3D files. We chose to show the mock-ups becaus it's pretty difficult to display the 3D file

I appreciate the critiques but think you all should know that those mock-ups are NOT the final product. more like an intermediate step to a final item.

Ad the 64 looks to be a Sport Coupe and the 65 a post sedan. The roof lines are different.
65jeremyc1.jpg

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Edited by Exotics_Builder
Wrong picture

I can't think of a "big rig" they could do that wouldn't bore the snot out of me. This is the car section. If I'm not mistaken, there's a truck section on this board too for your interests. :rolleyes:

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it just as I'm entitled to have my opinion. It makes no difference if this is in the "car" section or not, if you really want to be that prejudiced about it, any talk of the Ford pickup should be there too since the pickup section is in the "truck" section too! This topic is also about Moebius since both of these kits, however boring their car line of models may be to me, are new releases from them and just voicing my opinion that me and many other truck modelers would like to see some more new offerings from them too. I have no problem with their new kits though they have no interest to me, but not being narrowminded like it seems you are, I realize that there are builders that are happy with the car kits they have on offer. I've not implied or would never imply that Moebius needs to just do kits for truck modelers, it would just be nice for them to offer us some new issue kits as well and show truck modelers some love again, especially since there has been countless issues and modified reissues geared to car modelers since their first original issue of the Hudson Hornet years ago but only two new big rig issues (International Lonestar and Great Dane 53 foot trailer) and two modified reissues (International Prostar and Great Dane 53 foot Smoothside trailer) and one parts pack of wheels and tires for big rigs over the past 10 years. 

Oh, and if big rigs bore the snot out of you, consider this. Everything you own, including all of your precious car kits and the gas in your car that gets you to the hobby shop to buy them, comes to you thanks to THOSE BORING BIG RIGS AND DRIVERS LIKE ME THAT DRIVE THOSE BORING BIG RIGS AND SPEND TIME AWAY FROM OUR FAMILY, FRIENDS, HOME, AND HOBBIES SO INCONSIDERATE BEINGS LIKE YOU CAN HAVE EVERYTHING YOU TAKE FOR GRANTED IN EVERYDAY LIFE!! 

And I happen to like the Chevy IIs. I'll be buying at least one of each, and probably multiples if they're halfway decent at all. 

The Chevy Nova bores the snot out of me, I mean like you have no idea, but its a new tool kit and there is large group of builders that are gonna get off over it,  and any new tool kit is good for the hobby,  so what I am trying to say is.

Edited by martinfan5

Oh, and if big rigs bore the snot out of you, consider this. Everything you own, including all of your precious car kits and the gas in your car that gets you to the hobby shop to buy them, comes to you thanks to THOSE BORING BIG RIGS AND DRIVERS LIKE ME THAT DRIVE THOSE BORING BIG RIGS AND SPEND TIME AWAY FROM OUR FAMILY, FRIENDS, HOME, AND HOBBIES SO INCONSIDERATE BEINGS LIKE YOU CAN HAVE EVERYTHING YOU TAKE FOR GRANTED IN EVERYDAY LIFE!! 

And all that stuff gets loaded onto your truck with pallet jacks and forklifts, and I have no interest in building models of those either. If you are feeling under-appreciated in your job or somehow unfulfilled in your chosen vocation, it's not up to us to make you feel better about it. It's great you enjoy building Model trucks and there is a whole section on this forum dedicated to your interests. Getting upset because the people in the "model cars" section of the "Model Cars Magazine" prefer to build model cars is frankly ridiculous, and you are being way too sensitive about it.

And all that stuff gets loaded onto your truck with pallet jacks and forklifts, and I have no interest in building models of those either. If you are feeling under-appreciated in your job or somehow unfulfilled in your chosen vocation, it's not up to us to make you feel better about it. It's great you enjoy building Model trucks and there is a whole section on this forum dedicated to your interests. Getting upset because the people in the "model cars" section of the "Model Cars Magazine" prefer to build model cars is frankly ridiculous, and you are being way too sensitive about it.

WOW, the narrowmindedness (or mindlessness)  of some here blows my mind!! It has nothing to do with feeling under appreciated either, though it highly irritates me that for 20 years I've spent my life making sure that the ignorant masses that think that everything appears on store shelves because of little magical fairies have food on their tables!! 

I also don't see where you get off saying I was getting upset because I DID SAY even though nothing in Moebius' car line interests me, I know there are those that they do. I also build cars too, in fact 80% of my collection is cars and pickups, and the rest is a mix of big rigs, planes, ships, space craft, and military. This is called DIVERSITY, a term that obviously is not in many vocabularies since I keep seeing the same prejudice stating this is the "CAR" section! :rolleyes:

Oh, and if you can notice, the key word in your last statement is not "CAR", but "MODEL" As much as you may not like the fact, everyone here regardless of any specific interests have one thing in common, building MODELS!!!

Regardless of the bickering, I'm pleased as punch to see the Deuce gasser, and the Golden Commandos & California Flash kits. I'll eventually have a minimum of one each and I for certain see a Deuce gasser as well as a street freak build.

Many thanks to Tim Boyd for sharing this info. Maybe some of you with nothing more to do than bicker might consider showing Tim a little well deserved appreciation.

I just can't believe some of you choose to bicker on a thread like this or choose to criticize the new releases before you get your hands on a finished product. Yeah, I'm new to the hobby and I probably know less about this hobby and/or the kits than just about all of you, but I know enough to appreciate Tim's effort and I know I'll wait until these kits are finished and in the hands of builders before I pass judgement.

Sorry. Another of my little rants. Just felt it needed said.

• Like 1