Model Cars Magazine Forum

Images from the Moebius booth at NNL Motor City, including the two new Novas...

tim boyd

Many thanks to Tim Boyd for sharing this info. Maybe some of you with nothing more to do than bicker might consider showing Tim a little well deserved appreciation.

Thank you, Tim, for sharing this information about these wonderful new Chevy II kits, which don't bore me at all, and which I'm probably going to buy several of over the years, even if they have to be delivered to me by truck. :lol:

WOW, the narrowmindedness (or mindlessness)  of some here blows my mind!! It has nothing to do with feeling under appreciated either, though it highly irritates me that for 20 years I've spent my life making sure that the ignorant masses that think that everything appears on store shelves because of little magical fairies have food on their tables!! 

I also don't see where you get off saying I was getting upset because I DID SAY even though nothing in Moebius' car line interests me, I know there are those that they do. I also build cars too, in fact 80% of my collection is cars and pickups, and the rest is a mix of big rigs, planes, ships, space craft, and military. This is called DIVERSITY, a term that obviously is not in many vocabularies since I keep seeing the same prejudice stating this is the "CAR" section! :rolleyes:

Oh, and if you can notice, the key word in your last statement is not "CAR", but "MODEL" As much as you may not like the fact, everyone here regardless of any specific interests have one thing in common, building MODELS!!!

Sorry, I thought you going all caps, and calling us "inconsiderate beings" meant you were upset. I apologize for taking that incorrectly. I'll also try not to misunderstand you calling us narrowminded, and the fact that you are "highly irritated" as you being upset. I will just assume all is well. I bid you good day.

Come on everyone, can't we just all get along. I would prefer to celebrate what Moebius is bringing to our hobby. I personally think the little Chevy II will be a welcome addition and I'll build them the way I like. The 1:1 Ford F series has been the number one selling truck for years so it's safe to say that should do well. While I'm not a Big Rig builder I think it's a great idea that they are serving this segment of our hobby. Just think of all the great things they could bring to use if they do well in the market place with all of their offerings. This will mean more great models for all of us.  

Just a quick note on the Big Rig side of things.

We have not forgotten that segment of the hobby, We are pursuing some future items for that part of the hobby, and will announce some new items in coming months.

One thing that everyone needs to remember is that a new Class 8 tractor, regardless of the name plate on it, is an ENORMOUS investment for a small company like Moebius.

We feel like we were extremely fortunate in our choice to do LoneStar and ProStar we are very thankful for the great co operation and support we had from Navistar for those projects.

We try to keep an eye on new Trucks and have  discussed a new Tractor several times, unfortunately we haven't seen anything like LoneStar  yet.

SO in summary, I'll say that a new trailer is in the works, its at the very earliest development stage now, and this is not a high priority item yet as we have some big commitments to other projects that need to be finished first (so don't start asking when it'll be in stores)

However, at this date, there is no new over the road tractor on the horizon for us.

I like the fact that Moebius is tackling a subject that has already been done (more or less, sticking with early '62-5 Chevy IIs here) twice by other companies-- once long ago by AMT, then a decade ago by Trumpeter (though admittedly, not very well). That seems to me at least to suggest they've set the bar fairly high for themselves, and coming out of the gate with two distinct bodystyles is either a bold bet on themselves or a hedge on that bet....or maybe a bit of both. This is the first Moebius subject to pique my interest, so I'm looking forward to seeing the kit develop and finding out how well it bashes with AMT's '66 and earlier AMT Chevy IIs. Get those I6s ready, folks. :)

Holy smokes.... I LOVE the ford trucks!!!

I LOVE the 65-66 models. It goes sooo well with the bumpsides that are out now. I have a few versions of that kit. But the 65-66 models... I'm gonna need like 4 or 5 of each!!!! I can't wait for those to hit the shelves. I just hope none of them are "model king" exclusives... I hate having to rush to get them before they're gone. Like the '69.... I waited for it, that way once all the trucks were released I could just get them all at once.... nope... bad idea. 

so I'm looking forward to seeing the kit develop and finding out how well it bashes with AMT's '66 and earlier AMT Chevy IIs. Get those I6s ready, folks. :)

It should, theoretically, pop right on the Pro Street chassis of the AMT '66, for those who still like Pro Streets.

Just a quick note on the Big Rig side of things.

We have not forgotten that segment of the hobby, We are pursuing some future items for that part of the hobby, and will announce some new items in coming months.

One thing that everyone needs to remember is that a new Class 8 tractor, regardless of the name plate on it, is an ENORMOUS investment for a small company like Moebius.

We feel like we were extremely fortunate in our choice to do LoneStar and ProStar we are very thankful for the great co operation and support we had from Navistar for those projects.

We try to keep an eye on new Trucks and have  discussed a new Tractor several times, unfortunately we haven't seen anything like LoneStar  yet.

SO in summary, I'll say that a new trailer is in the works, its at the very earliest development stage now, and this is not a high priority item yet as we have some big commitments to other projects that need to be finished first (so don't start asking when it'll be in stores)

However, at this date, there is no new over the road tractor on the horizon for us.

Thank you for the response Dave, and it is nice to hear that even though no new tractor is in the works as of now, there are still plans for future items in your big rig segment. As Richard had also commented, even some different vintage rigs could be a possibility and one that comes to the top of my head that could possibly even use some common parts out of the Lonestar/Prostar molds is the older International 9900ix. I have tons of other ideas of other modern and older rigs also and if you'd like some added help and input from a builder and driver of the big rigs, please feel free to PM me as I would like to help but also to avoid offending any more builders that are focused just on the car portion of the hobby. 

Uh, yeah - I can sympathize with keeping things in their proper forums and all, but it waddn' Matthew introduced the subject of trucks into the whole new release discussion, it was Moebius.

Anyhoo, I too was kinda like "meh" to see the Novas.  These do have small blocks, though, and while one can hope Moebius doesn't totally flatten the sport coupe drip rails like AMT and Trumpeter before them, the post sedan does look pretty tuff.  Tube frame reinforcements in the engine bay?  Yup, that one has my attention. Though I'll probably give in to the '64 too, 'specially if they get the greenhouse right.

The only way I could be happier about the F-series trucks would be to have the integrated-bed Styleside from earlier in the '60s (sorry, but unless the cab carries actual structural load that I'm not aware of, the use of the term "unibody" for these just throws me).  Serve those right up soon as you got 'em dialed in, sil vous plait Moebius.

*edit* - hmm, digging into F-series history a little deeper, apparently "unibody" is more apt than I first thought...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

I Like the Chevy 2, surprised they would do one!

It will hopefully, be the first really accurate one.I would rather see it as an early funny car though instead of this "gasser" thing.People today don't know what a gasser is.

A 65 Mustang fastback and Barracuda would be nice.

No matter what they do, people will want something else.TOUGH LUCK!

I have 600 kits in my stash, I can live with that!

JEEEZ GUYS!

I like the fact that Moebius is tackling a subject that has already been done (more or less, sticking with early '62-5 Chevy IIs here) twice by other companies-- once long ago by AMT, then a decade ago by Trumpeter (though admittedly, not very well). That seems to me at least to suggest they've set the bar fairly high for themselves, and coming out of the gate with two distinct bodystyles is either a bold bet on themselves or a hedge on that bet....or maybe a bit of both. This is the first Moebius subject to pique my interest, so I'm looking forward to seeing the kit develop and finding out how well it bashes with AMT's '66 and earlier AMT Chevy IIs. Get those I6s ready, folks. :)

For those of you that ARE interested in the Chevy II (new issues and old) you might want to have a look at the Cannonball 2018 community build. The selected theme is "inlines" - 4's, 6's, 8's, et al.  As long as the pistons are all in a row then its included.  Check the Community section in the next month or so for the guidelines.

I think the test shots are real close to a transitional funny car. At this time frame gassers were still older bodies. Even '57 Chevys were a bit too new for what many considered gassers. In the 64-66 period funny cars were in many ways gassers with newer bodies. Of course that all changed with the flip tops that came out in '66. I have a few comments on the kit. Lose the wipers, offer a well designed injector system (please......so needed and not really available) Finally please deliver it to my mailbox by Thanksgiving.

See:http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/collector-cars/muscle-cars/second-chance-nova-funny-car-had-long-lasting-impact

Give me break here! We show future project mock ups and there are critiques?

As I tried to explain in the other thread, Mock ups are product development tools - we have already sent several lists of corrections to be made based on our reviews of the mock-ups to the factories. 3D files that will actually be used to make tooling have been revised based on those comments. the mock-ups on the table yesterday ARE NOT FINAL items. the items we showed yesterday are NOT test shots! Test shots are produced from tooling that exists at this date there is NO tooling started for any of those items yet.

There are NO release dates. I would not expect release dates for any of those Items for several months! We don't even know which kit will be produced first.

There will be NO six cylinder engine for the Chevy II kits .just the small block.

If that 65 "gasser" were a street legal "gasser" style vehicle it would have WINDSHIELD WIPERS! When the "gasser" kit actually exists - the wipers will be separate parts! if they offend you, you'll be able to leave them on the parts tree!

It might be good to wait for us to actually have something beyond 3D files and mock-ups before you start passing judgement on the shape of the drip rails!

I'm glad that some of you have wish lists and suggestions for our next project, at this date I'd just like to get these finished before I start something else.

Give me break here! We show future project mock ups and there are critiques?

As I tried to explain in the other thread, Mock ups are product development tools ...

Sir...I understand completely, and I for one am well aware of what it takes to get from where you are now to plastic parts in a box.

I applaud everything Moebius has released over the last few years, and wish you and your company much success for many years to come.

When these two new ones hit the shelves, several of each will go home with me.

I believe that the earliest Nova flip top funnies were the next generation body - Jungle Jim's Novas certainly were the 66/later body, I could be wrong but I am unaware of any 62-65 Nova bodied floppers.

The "gasser" was suggested to us, because there are a ton of 1st generation ChevyII race cars out there that are set up like that. Our car is a generic version, but is patterned after a number of real cars..

I'm pretty sure that the first real funny cars were 1966 Comets - Our 64 & 65 cars are one generation too early..

After looking around a bit I do see a number of AWB first generation Novas , most of them built in that 1965/1966 time frame, those are more like the old AMT "Rat Packer" kit, we made a conscious choice not to do anything that was too much like that kit, thus the decision to stick with the stock wheel base "gasser" idea. Also we decided to stay with the blown small block because we didn't want to spend extra dollars tooling a rat motor.

There were also some economic reasons to limit the number of different versions when you add an AWB car then maybe a Rat motor for it, you add a lot more tooling dollars. I hope this explanation makes sense.

Edited by Dave Metzner

Begging your pardon, Mr M, but one can point out something in the drip moldings on a mock-up without passing judgment on your final products exactly because these are the mock-ups - right?  Having them too flat would not be something unique to Moebius; the two manufacturers who have covered this generation of Nova before did the exact same thing, and this is an opportunity for Moebius to distinguish itself with a small but distinct improvement over its predecessors.

Isn't the mock-up stage exactly where it's to your best benefit to hear about some of these things? Better now than after the steel is cut, or am I wrong?

Perhaps this is already an item in your first round of notes?  I might understand some exasperation in that case, but it's not as if we had any way of knowing that.  And it's not as if I pointed out that precedent established twice before your effort without necessarily linking it to the possibility that you'll correct it before production.

It also seems I got it entirely past you that I thought the '65 looked pretty good - good enough to convince me the subject might be more interesting than I first thought.