Model Cars Magazine Forum

Images from the Moebius booth at NNL Motor City, including the two new Novas...

tim boyd

It would be awesome to have a 65 Nova kit out again and one that can be built stock or street or all out drag and if Moebius is doing it you know it will be a very detailed kit but you say it's only been 3D printed and not tooled yet HO BOY so maybe we will see it some time in 2020 or 2021.?????. Hell I'm 65 I may not be able to hold the air brush by then.!!!!

I'm 70, same thoughts. :huh:

Some vintage big rigs might actually be pretty cool, and while everyone has their own idea of what's cool, and I'm sure the folks at Moebius know what they're doing, if you're enthusing over a Chevy II, you're in no position to criticize anyone's tastes om models as boring.

You're 100% correct, the early Chevy II's/Novas are so boring that the aftermarket people now produce a complete steel reproduction of the '66 '67 Nova hardtop for the 1:1 crowd. I don't know of any company producing repro parts of any kind for the truck guys. In fact I bet that the truck builders in the 1:1 world are probably outnumbered by around a 50 to 1 ratio.

But me,  I have a couple of truck builds in the works, after all I need something to pull my Sprint car and late model team trailers. See, even our beautiful show cars and race cars are hauled around by those unappreciated trucks.

Edited by horsepower

Yep it's fun how nowadays every car that has a jacked up front end is called a "Gasser" even though it has nothing to do with real Gassers. It's true that Chevy IIs were not common cars in Gasser classes or in Factory Experimental... But my plan is to modify one of those kits into an FX car, but it will be backdated to a '63... Anyway, when considering how popular those Chevy IIs were as Funny Cars/Match Racers, I'm sure bunch of them will be seen on the forum when the kit is out.

I've  said it before on the other thread, but I say it again. I can't wait to see these kits available! I'll definitely buy multiples of both Nova/Chevy II kits.

There was a lot of modified production class Chevy II's running at different strips around the country, add some wider slicks two fours on a crossram intake to the 327 and you had a pretty fast little race car.

I'm not sure that this thread is the place to discuss big rigs, However since it's been brought up here again, here goes! Vintage tractors are a great idea, if you don't have to produce one. There are no factory cad files and may not even be a good set of factory drawings SO that means good ole Dave gets to grab his camera and measuring stick an hope like hell that he gets enough good photos for the guys at our factory to make a set of 3D files from.. A class 8 tractor is a whole lot bigger than a 65 F100 so photographing and measuring one will be a giant problem. Lone Star and ProStar were monsters to get done even though Navistar gave us CAD files for them we still spent a day on each one photographing and measuring the real items and another day photographing and measuring an engine in one. An old truck is an enormous undertaking and we don't have a large enough staff to take it on and do everything else we are committed to. Not saying never - just saying not anytime in the foreseeable future!

I'm not sure that this thread is the place to discuss big rigs, However since it's been brought up here again, here goes! Vintage tractors are a great idea, if you don't have to produce one. There are no factory cad files and may not even be a good set of factory drawings SO that means good ole Dave gets to grab his camera and measuring stick an hope like hell that he gets enough good photos for the guys at our factory to make a set of 3D files from.. A class 8 tractor is a whole lot bigger than a 65 F100 so photographing and measuring one will be a giant problem. Lone Star and ProStar were monsters to get done even though Navistar gave us CAD files for them we still spent a day on each one photographing and measuring the real items and another day photographing and measuring an engine in one. An old truck is an enormous undertaking and we don't have a large enough staff to take it on and do everything else we are committed to. Not saying never - just saying not anytime in the foreseeable future!

Thank you for explaining the process again Dave and the challenges a model company faces when developing new kits. Looking forward to these new announcements and hope that you can bring them to market in fairly quick fashion!

Fully understandable, I my self is very pleased to see the coming projects you got right now.
But I do have a question, is there any plans on making a 67 and 68 version of the already released Ford pickup kits?
I would love to be able to have all years of that generation standing side by side.

FWIW - As per the late Byron Stack at Gasser Madness:

(Starting in 1968) AA/GS through B/G and all cars with unibody construction would now be allowed to use rectangular or square steel tubing in frame construction.  The minimum was .120 wall thickness and 2x3 inch rectangular or the equivalent square tubing.  Prior to this, the rules called for a “stock automobile type frame”.

As for the match racers, I seem to recall guys running 2"x3" square tubing from the front clip to the rear in order to keep the floor pan from twisting. That can be replicated by a couple of strips of square styrene.

Otherwise, as much as I'd like a blown sb, I'd suggest to the good folks at Moebius to just include parts for a classy looking /MP (if offering a 2-in-1 kit is their plan).

Edited by Reegs

Just a quick note on the Big Rig side of things.

We have not forgotten that segment of the hobby, We are pursuing some future items for that part of the hobby, and will announce some new items in coming months.

One thing that everyone needs to remember is that a new Class 8 tractor, regardless of the name plate on it, is an ENORMOUS investment for a small company like Moebius.

We feel like we were extremely fortunate in our choice to do LoneStar and ProStar we are very thankful for the great co operation and support we had from Navistar for those projects.

We try to keep an eye on new Trucks and have  discussed a new Tractor several times, unfortunately we haven't seen anything like LoneStar  yet.

SO in summary, I'll say that a new trailer is in the works, its at the very earliest development stage now, and this is not a high priority item yet as we have some big commitments to other projects that need to be finished first (so don't start asking when it'll be in stores)

However, at this date, there is no new over the road tractor on the horizon for us.

Yea, big rigs are always on the bottom of the priority list!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/12/2017 at 8:53 PM, highway said:

Oh, and if big rigs bore the snot out of you, consider this. Everything you own, including all of your precious car kits and the gas in your car that gets you to the hobby shop to buy them, comes to you thanks to THOSE BORING BIG RIGS AND DRIVERS LIKE ME THAT DRIVE THOSE BORING BIG RIGS AND SPEND TIME AWAY FROM OUR FAMILY, FRIENDS, HOME, AND HOBBIES SO INCONSIDERATE BEINGS LIKE YOU CAN HAVE EVERYTHING YOU TAKE FOR GRANTED IN EVERYDAY LIFE!! 

And before any of these ever saw a truck they ALL were brought to the States by a big freight carrying ship from China, BUT I seriously doubt if that will make anyone except a dedicated maritime modeler want to build one. 

On 5/24/2018 at 4:23 PM, 250 Testa Rossa said:

With the sale of Moebius to Pegasus Hobbies, what is the status of the new releases?

From what I understand from the statement on Moebius' website, it was not sold to Pegasus, but the controling interest was sold to the people who also owns Pegasus. 

"

PEGASUS HOBBIES OWNERS TO ASSUME OWNERSHIP OF MOEBIUS MODELS

Model kit producer's product output to remain unchanged

[Glenwood, FL, March 1, 2018] As of March 1st, Tom and Larry, owners of Pegasus Hobbies will assume ownership of Moebius Models. Moebius will remain an independent company and will continue production on its popular line of plastic model kits and other products. Original Moebius founder and president Frank Winspur will remain with the company as a minority partner and will still be involved in guiding Moebius from a creative standpoint.

Moebius Models was formed in 2008 as a division of Doll & Hobby Inc. and has released licensed model kits from properties such as Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Battlestar Galactica, the 1966 Batman television series, Warner Bros. movies Batman V Superman, The Dark Knight, and Interstellar, Marvel superheroes such as Iron Man, Universal's classic monster characters and Fantastic Voyage, as well as automobile and truck models. Recently Moebius has produced licensed model kits from 2001: A Space Odyssey and will soon launch a line of Star Trek kits from the recent theatrical movies produced by J.J. Abrams, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness and Star Trek Beyond.

Moebius Models' art director Bob Plant and new product manager Dave Metzner will remain in their current positions at the company and Moebius' upcoming product releases will remain unchanged through the transition. Customer service will remain at 386-734-3599 and email contact will remain customerservice@moebiusmodels.com for the present time.

Frank Winspur will provide a personal statement on the transition on Facebook within the next few days. No further information is available and calls and/or emails to the company are unnecessary at this time.

Moebius Models is a toy and hobby company based in Glenwood, FL."

• 10 months later...