Model Cars Magazine Forum

White Western Star logger

Here's the second build that I have completed since coming back into the hobby....

My goal with this build was to try to duplicate the average look of log trucks from the North Eastern Ontario / North Western Quebec regions back in the 1975- 1985 era....major spotting features of these loggers were of course the massive all steel log rack (bush rack) used to protect the cab in case of a rollover., ( now days, all most everyone have made the switch to aluminium racks ).......heavy spec'd drive trains / axles , spring suspensions , spoke wheels , and a heavy duty bumper with tow pin were the essentials if you were going to go haul in the bush.....chrome was kept minimal but owner / operators made up for it with some fancy factory paint scheme and lettering.....many operators wouldn't even bother with rear quarter fenders as they were sure to get damaged sooner or later while loading or unloading...this made putting a set of tire chains go a little easier / quicker as there is nothing in the way....yes, it's a rat race.

Modifications include lengthening the frame and adding a functional steer axle from the IH 4300 kit......I added air and electrical lines trough out the frame and engine compartment.... spoke wheels and the brake chambers are from Plaskit.....drive tires and front oil hubs are from Double Take Replicas .......the log rack, fifth wheel ramps, and the front bumper are scratch built.

I shot these pictures on site and of course, while in transit ,I ended up loosing a rear tail light....there are no rear mudflaps also because I was still trying to make a set that would be lettered for a Northern Ontario business....turns out that I'm still actually working on that as my first attempt did not turn out the way I would like....try try again.

1041.jpg

1040.jpg

1042.jpg

1049.jpg

1047.jpg

1048.jpg

1043.jpg

1051.jpg

1046.jpg

1050.jpg

Thank you everyone for your comments,...i really appreciate it !

Joe ;   the dirt / grime was built up from multiple layers of earth tones that I applied by brush and then topped off with my airbrush.....I found it quite nerve racking to dirty up a nice shinny truck, as there was no turning back if I messed up .

Anthony :  I sure would like to have a log trailer, but, scratch building a complete trailer would be an enormous project for me to undertake...It's something that I don't feel ready to tackle yet....I'm afraid that it would take me so long to complete, that I may loose interest in the project.

Thank you everyone for your comments,...i really appreciate it !

Joe ;   the dirt / grime was built up from multiple layers of earth tones that I applied by brush and then topped off with my airbrush.....I found it quite nerve racking to dirty up a nice shinny truck, as there was no turning back if I messed up .

Anthony :  I sure would like to have a log trailer, but, scratch building a complete trailer would be an enormous project for me to undertake...It's something that I don't feel ready to tackle yet....I'm afraid that it would take me so long to complete, that I may loose interest in the project.

Is this truck still in service?

Thank you all for your comments !    much appreciated !

Pat :       My first idea with this build was to try to duplicate a truck that i had photographed in Senneterre back in the winter of 1985-86,.. ..however,..I quickly came to grips with the fact that,  with only one photograph to work with,  and my faded memory from 30 some years ago,   there was no way that i could make an exact build of that old White......and so,  I decided on the next best thing :  build a truck that would look very close to this prototype, but give it a completely different identity with another paint job and owner.

The original owners of the truck ( two brothers ) have long since retired and their shop is now owned by another contractor....you can bet that I had a look in the back of the property to see if maybe,  just maybe,  I might find some remnant of the old White parked in the back lot along side some old log trailers and machinery that have long been retired, ...but to no avail.....she's gone.

senneterre.jpg