Model Cars Magazine Forum

76 Torino tribute to Mom

randyc

Mom had a 72 base Torino.  That will never happen, so this seemed to be a good car to tribute that car.  It was the first car I remember Mom buying.  First car we had that I remember was a 67 Impala Coupe.  Green metallic with green vinyl top.  Wheelcovers.  Not an SS.   But Mom was a signle parent so I know this was probably a big thing to her.  It was to me.  No car seats back in the day.  I remember her getting RADIALS on it and the noise they made.  But she said it drove better.  Hers did have a 351 W I'm pretty sure.  My uncle got a little excited by it - he was a car guy.  IT was 2 bbl.  I remember that from the air cleaner lid.  I remember the metallic blue vinyl interior as well.  

So here is my tribute.  All box stock.  I'm not happy with the decals for the scripts, but thought I'd try them.  They need more defintion; maybe a black base or something?  May foil and wash them later.   The bumpers were painted over with Detailer black, which I think makes large chrome parts more realistic.  Wheelcovers turned out nicely I thought.  Very plain.  Not sure how many builders will actually use them, but they were perfect for this build.  

As I've said elsewhere,this is a great kit for practicing or learning to use foil.  Lines are deep enough to learn with.

Last picture is the diecast Maverick I repainted as tribute to wife's mom's first car.  Her's was 4 door with vinyl top, so I made the vinyl top follow the 4 door style top.  And the wheels are from a 70 Mav, but all I could come up with.  The Mav even has a 6 cyl engine insert.  

IMG_20171111_110817994.jpg

IMG_20171111_110837993.jpg

IMG_20171111_110833806.jpg

IMG_20171111_110855790.jpg

IMG_20171111_110918139_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20171111_111029912.jpg

Thanks so much for all the compliments! 

I've done 3 tributes to the parents and in-laws in a row.  Have to find my next inspiration.  Working on the Warren Tope and that is definitely NOT an inspiring kit.  Subject matter is, but kit itself is anything but.  Knowing that when done, it will NOT resemble the real car hardly at all.  BUT I did spend a lot on that kit and have to trudge on through to the finish.  

May start a new build as well.  I still have 56 DelRay and Nomad.  58 Impala, 66 Chevelle wagon.  A lot of others.  I'll find something in the stash to start or finish.  

Thanks so much for all the compliments! 

I've done 3 tributes to the parents and in-laws in a row.  Have to find my next inspiration.  Working on the Warren Tope and that is definitely NOT an inspiring kit.  Subject matter is, but kit itself is anything but.  Knowing that when done, it will NOT resemble the real car hardly at all.  BUT I did spend a lot on that kit and have to trudge on through to the finish.  

May start a new build as well.  I still have 56 DelRay and Nomad.  58 Impala, 66 Chevelle wagon.  A lot of others.  I'll find something in the stash to start or finish.  

I feel your pain on the MPC/AMT 71-73 Mustang kits.

I feel your pain on the MPC/AMT 71-73 Mustang kits.

I have looked at many of your posts on these cars and basically decided to try to build the kit best I can and let it go at that.   Since it's a race car and the net only has like 4 pictures of it, let's just call mine a race day version that was never photographed... lol

It will never be a contest model, but will give me a T/A class car on the shelf.  I do wish there were T/A kits available.  I have the Testors diecast for a stock version even though I have read about it's shortcomings.   Great thing about fuzzy memories is that the Testors car represents a fuzzy memory of the real thing, having never owned one.